For those of you who are younger | Syracusefan.com

For those of you who are younger

sabach

All American
Last night I got a chance to watch MSG Vault with Al Trautwig. It was the 1985 Big East Semifinal between SU and Georgetown. The game where Ewing literally tried to knock Pearl unconscious. Pearl was interviewed during the breaks by Trautwig. If any of you wonder why we dislike Georgetown so much and why they really are our only true rival, take a look at that game for starters. As a side note, man I miss Pearl and the Syracuse script jerseys.

Last night I got a chance to watch MSG Vault with Al Trautwig. It was the 1985 Big East Semifinal between SU and Georgetown. The game where Ewing literally tried to knock Pearl unconscious. Pearl was interviewed during the breaks by Trautwig. If any of you wonder why we dislike Georgetown so much and why they really are our only true rival, take a look at that game for starters. As a side note, man I miss Pearl and the Syracuse script jerseys.
My favorite part was Raf, who loved G-town and Ewing, amazed that Pearl didn't get tossed.

I've unsuccessfully scoured the internet tubes for a clip of Pearl hitting Ewing in the gut.

The other semi-final game that night .. was St John's vs Nova. Three of the four Big East semi-final teams.... went to the NCAA Final Four that year. That was the year the Big East cemented its reputation as the best basketball conference in the country

My favorite part was Raf, who loved G-town and Ewing, amazed that Pearl didn't get tossed.
Exactly. When you listen to Raf and Len Berman, it's as if Ewing did nothing. Berman actually wondered why Ewing got a Technical.

Exactly. When you listen to Raf and Len Berman, it's as if Ewing did nothing. Berman actually wondered why Ewing got a Technical.
I'll tell you sabach, I haven't seen that video in 30 years and I still remember shaking my head at those comments.

The other semi-final game that night .. was St John's vs Nova. Three of the four Big East semi-final teams... went to the NCAA Final Four that year. That was the year the Big East cemented its reputation as the best basketball conference in the country
CTO, that is exactly what I told my 13 year old son as we were watching it. I said that the Big East Final Four had three of the four teams in the NCAA Final Four. Unfortunately, we were the odd man out in 1985, but we got there in 1987 with another BE school. My son was wondering why the three point line was back so far. I told him that was the NBA three point line and that there was no three in college then. He couldn't believe it.

I'll tell you sabach, I haven't seen that video in 30 years and I still remember shaking my head at those comments.
Your memory is better than mine because I forgot. I was actually yelling at Raf and Berman last night as if the comments were live. "What the hell do you mean 'why is Ewing getting a T', he just tried to kill Pearl." My son just looked at me and shook his head. He knows his dad too well.

The other semi-final game that night .. was St John's vs Nova. Three of the four Big East semi-final teams... went to the NCAA Final Four that year. That was the year the Big East cemented its reputation as the best basketball conference in the country
And 'Nova was a team of Dead Men Walking in that semifinal. They were awful. How they ever snapped out of that and started on their championship run--beginning vs Dayton, on Dayton's home court-- should be the basis of a PhD thesis.

This incident is covered pretty extensively in the Big East 30 for 30. Pearl completely confesses to throwing a forearm shiver into Ewing's rib cage. They show it and it looks like a very powerful hit. Ewing just comes away enraged like a wild man! Pearl, in the interview, said about blasting Ewing: "best feeling ever!" It was one of the most memorable parts of a 30 for 30 doc filled with them!

And 'Nova was a team of Dead Men Walking in that semifinal. They were awful. How they ever snapped out of that and started on their championship run--beginning vs Dayton, on Dayton's home court-- should be the basis of a PhD thesis.

Gary McLain did a few lines of blow and presto no more dead men walking.

Last edited:
This incident is covered pretty extensively in the Big East 30 for 30. Pearl completely confesses to throwing a forearm shiver into Ewing's rib cage. They show it and it looks like a very powerful hit. Ewing just comes away enraged like a wild man! Pearl, in the interview, said about blasting Ewing: "best feeling ever!" It was one of the most memorable parts of a 30 for 30 doc filled with them!

Back then, the teams REALLY hated each other. It wasn't just competitive--there was genuine dislike. Ditto DC era--Sherman Douglas despised GT because they were his hometown team and didn't recruit him. Just watch DC at recent Georgetown games and he looks like he is so fired up he still wants to suit up.

The rivalry ran out of steam after Mourning and John Thompson left, and gtown went down the crapper [where they belong]. It still really irks the living sh-t out of me that Arinze got injured against gtown in the BET in 2010--figures that jerkoffs would be the ones responsible for wrecking our dream season's potential.

But for anybody who suggests that the rivalry isn't meaningful--they're showing their recency bias [as well as a lack of being informed about the history / bad blood between these two teams].

Apparently "how they snapped out of it" had something to do with cocaine. Remember Gary McLain?

Apparently "how they snapped out of it" had something to do with cocaine. Remember Gary McLain?
Yes. But could the whole team have been involved? Even the Harold brothers, Presley and Jensen? ;)

Last edited:
I've unsuccessfully scoured the internet tubes for a clip of Pearl hitting Ewing in the gut.

Bar none my favorite SU basketball moment of all time.