Former Big East Rivals-Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Former Big East Rivals-Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a vision but no track record. Why would you take a chance on that when there are coaches who’ve proven themselves? Other coaches like Hurley are hurting us with negative recruiting. We need to point out his obvious deficiencies as a coach.
That and one if these days he's actually going to kill one of his players. I don't think it's the negative recruiting that's hurting us. I think its jb not hitting the recruiting trail like he used to.

Why would I lie about that whatsoever? Happened at Wayne Hills my friend. Google it. Town over from where JB grew up and still comes to golf time to time...but I’m just lyingggg
Jb was playing in wayne?

He’s promising a lot; championships, NBA, playing time , etc. Hes new there so kids believe the vision. But eventually he has to either win in march and/or put guys in the nba or it won’t last long.

if it’s 2023 and he’s had 1 nba draft pick and 1 tournament win, guess what? Everything he uses to get kids now won’t work anymore

Sanogo said he thinks UConn can get him to the nba faster than seton hall. Hurley has never had a player drafted; so Sanogo made that statement off of a Hurley promise.

it’s working now, but he’s talking out of his ass because he’s never accomplished anything that he’s promised these kids - he has 2 tournament wins in his career and hasnt put a kid in the league ; yet last year at UConn he said they’d win a title within 2 years. I get what he’s doing and why it works, but he better produce results soon otherwise his pie in the sky comments will look silly.

he’s already began to over recruit; this isn’t URI... this won’t fly with top 120 kids.

EDIT: also, if you look at the roster he has now, not sure where the shooting come from. He currently has 6 schloarships committed to bigs, only 1 of whom can even take a 3pter (and he’s not good at it - Akok), and 2 more to wings who can’t shoot (Martin, Jackson). Bouknight should be good from 3 but didn’t take a lot last year and then they have the Howard transfer Cole who needed a tremendous usage rate to put up stats at Howard... interesting strategy for 2020 college basketball

Thanks for the great feedback. Look, I despise them, and they are very fortunate a generational coach like Calhoun entered the picture. Plus the BE propped them up, Cuse BS first probation helped as well.
I am rooting for a spectacular crash and burn by that phony. Seton Hall and Willard is another head scratcher as well, although rumblings of $$ and tampering are out there. I respect Jay Wright and he has the Philly connections to always compete.
Just hoping Cuse is able to get back to competing in the top four of the ACC and protected seeds on Selection Sunday

Feel like we under utilize Red lately. I don’t hear a Lot about him being the lead on kids any more yet whenever he is, he seems to close

Thanks for the great feedback. Look, I despise them, and they are very fortunate a generational coach like Calhoun entered the picture. Plus the BE propped them up, Cuse BS first probation helped as well.
I am rooting for a spectacular crash and burn by that phony. Seton Hall and Willard is another head scratcher as well, although rumblings of $$ and tampering are out there. I respect Jay Wright and he has the Philly connections to always compete.
Just hoping Cuse is able to get back to competing in the top four of the ACC and protected seeds on Selection Sunday
I don’t see SU ever consistently staying in the top four in the ACC. We can’t recruit against Duke, NC, Louisville, UVA and now FSU. We use to have a niche in the Northeast when we were in the Big East. Those kids are now going to Villanova, Seton Hall and now UCONN. We have been steady in 5-10 place in the ACC. This is with JB. What’s going to happen after he’s gone?

Feel like we under utilize Red lately. I don’t hear a Lot about him being the lead on kids any more yet whenever he is, he seems to close

That’s on Red then. Coaches who end up being the lead already have a relationship with said kid or AAU program. It’s not like they are assigned kids.

I don’t see SU ever consistently staying in the top four in the ACC. We can’t recruit against Duke, NC, Louisville, UVA and now FSU. We use to have a niche in the Northeast when we were in the Big East. Those kids are now going to Villanova, Seton Hall and now UCONN. We have been steady in 5-10 place in the ACC. This is with JB. What’s going to happen after he’s gone?

Ok Townie. JB has slipped. And Louisville is in trouble with the NCAA.

I really don’t know how Hurley should ever beat out SU and Boeheim on the recruiting trail. JB has a 44 year track record of developing players for the pros, leading teams to a national title, numerous conference championships, six Final Fours and 35 NCAA tourney berths. Besides having a grating spastic personality, Hurley has accomplished zilch in his coaching career (I think he’s made one NCAA tourney) compared to JB and our staff? Why would players and their parents trust him over a long proven track record in Boeheim and the Syracuse program?
Agree a million percent, but honestly, do kids and parents all feel a 75 year old coach will be the one coaching them for the next four years? It’s a tough sell.

100% agreed, we need to figure something out with recruiting, maybe keep going after those Canadian kids. Because as of right now, any big name prospect in the DMV is locked down by our ACC rivals. The same teams and the big east have a hold on the northeast recruiting. And we’re being left with the scraps. Sure we have Dior, but he kind of fell into our laps, and honestly we can’t bank on him actually coming with all that is going on with the NCAA/GLeague/NBA

I think a lot of it is that not a lot of kids care about JBs record of putting kids in the NBA. If not a true blue blood like duke/Kentucky, then kids care about playing for the next exciting thing (Ie. Teams like Memphis or uconn with the new big east allure), not some old guy who plays his son 36+ mpgs.

This whole discussion is so freaking boring. What exactly do people think we are entitled to as fans? We deserve to be top 10 every year? Sports are a distraction from real life. If they are more to you, then re-evaluate your priorities. If you like teams that are always top 10, then root for the cheaters, or root for the NCAA to get something right, for once. But, if you are a fan of Syracuse basketball, then back the hell off the coaches and your stupid assumptions of how hard they work (or don't work). You and I have no idea how the real recruiting world is. Just enjoy the ride. Root for every player (man and woman) that chooses to wear Orange.

The Syracuse will never be good without JB stuff drives me nuts. It's a Townie argument.. We have some of the most basketball resources in the country and we consistently are voted as a top 4 job in the conference. Sht gets old.

I know a lot of people have been down on recruiting and some of it is warranted...especially our bigs but look at what we did with a transfer like Eli...led the ACC in scoring and was selected first team all ACC...impressive that we brought him in from ECU and recognized the talent there. (Not sure who gets the credit for that one as I recall JB liked him out of highschool but I think our scholarship situation didnt work?) And now people I think are overlooking the fact that we brought in one of the TOP transfers available this year in Griffin. 2020 class is nice but we could use a big and 2021 seems promising for Benny. 2022 looks to be shaping up to be special. Gotta get after the Bigs though and figure out how to sell them on playing for us in our system because we seem to be struggling mightily with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.