Former players | Syracusefan.com

Former players

Tobias Funke

All Conference
I apologize if has been said, but HCSS's focus on the former players being welcomed with open arms really does paint a bit of a picture. Clearly he or someone in the university recognized their importance whether it just be through being visible, or in some case financial contributions. Clearly something Doug did not see value in. It will not show in the win column, but I believe alumni support will be huge to this program's future.

I just mentioned that in another thread. I really thought that was awesome.

I apologize if has been said, but HCSS's focus on the former players being welcomed with open arms really does paint a bit of a picture. Clearly he or someone in the university recognized their importance whether it just be through being visible, or in some case financial contributions. Clearly something Doug did not see value in. It will not show in the win column, but I believe alumni support will be huge to this program's future.

You have to understand too, that in some cases, people who are former members of an organization feel they need to be "invited" back to feel comfortable going back. Others are comfortable just showing up. Used to see this with my fraternity when I was in school. Could be something as simple as that, or perhaps Shafer felt the need to address it because there had been grumblings of former players not feeling welcome to come back.

I agree though, it's hugely important to have the former players involved - it's a great resource that hopefully Shafer leverages to it's fullest.

Well, it's entirely possible that this group was not ignored by DM, but that some ex-players still didn't feel enough love. Example we had out own Troy Nunes thread to that regard. Mentioning them and reaching out to the. Is always a good idea though.

Regardless of reason, it did seem apparent in the wake of the Nunes thing that there was at a minimum the feeling that players were not welcomed with open arms.

I will qualify that specific instance by saying I believe Troy's professional field may have been a driver behind that treatment, but it did prompt a lot of other players to express similar feelings

Sometimes alum can be a delicate balance, what if some want jobs but are turned away or even the HC job itself? Hurt feelings by some but I'm hopeful that there will be a large amount of support for Shafer.

One of the biggest disappointments of the Marrone era was that he never galvanized the Syracuse football alums. Shafer mentioned that within the first 5 minutes. Extremely important IMO and glad Shafe seems to be making this a priority.

Don't know how or why he did it, but it seemed like he alienated more than galvanized. Maybe he had the same bunker mentality with former players as he had with the media and fans.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Don't know how or why he did it, but it seemed like he alienated more than galvanized. Maybe he had the same bunker mentality with former players as he had with the media and fans.

I just found it strange and disappointing seeing that HCDM was an alum. I really thought he would be a bigger force at building a stronger Orange football alum community. It never happened.

Quite honestly, looking back, that tells me he always had one eye on the NFL and had no time/desire to put in the work of building those types of bridges.

You would have thought Marrone would embrace former players as a Syracuse alum. Just strange.

You would have thought Marrone would embrace former players as a Syracuse alum. Just strange.
Sometimes the work at hand Is larger. Like getting the program back. Like if they win, they will come. Just saying

When you lock out one of the best former players of the last 25 years from the locker room before your first game in 2009 that is probably not the best way to start. It is how he did things and it was his choice

It's one thing to say it. He's gotta do it. Hopefully it helps with alot of things. Fundraising, reputation, etc.

I always wondered if that group that (thru Konrad) recommended Addazio for HC annoyed Marrone and he decided he didn't really need to make time for any of them.

When you lock out one of the best former players of the last 25 years from the locker room before your first game in 2009 that is probably not the best way to start. It is how he did things and it was his choice
???

I always wondered if that group that (thru Konrad) recommended Addazio for HC annoyed Marrone and he decided he didn't really need to make time for any of them.
???

???

Konrad, on behalf of several players in his era, wrote a letter to Gross recommending that Steve Addazio be given the job back in 2009.

He copied Donnie and/or Dave on the email if I recall so the group wanted it to be public.

This is one of the more revisionist threads I have seen this week.

Not sure I follow. There were multiple alumni who felt they weren't as welcome as thy either expected or were before Marrone. Seems like a fair dicussion

Konrad, on behalf of several players in his era, wrote a letter to Gross recommending that Steve Addazio be given the job back in 2009.

He copied Donnie and/or Dave on the email if I recall so the group wanted it to be public.

and i am thankful everyday that Gross stood his ground and made the right decision. that is one guy i would not want coaching my team. thank you dr. gross, and if Konrad, and the rest of the players from that era are pissed, then too bad, TGD saved us all

Not sure I follow. There were multiple alumni who felt they weren't as welcome as thy either expected or were before Marrone. Seems like a fair dicussion
I think you need to dig quite a bit deeper to get to the root cause on this one.

Wondered the same. I saw that happen over a different college coaching position some years ago- former players taking "sides" and having agendas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom