Foul or not foul | Syracusefan.com

Foul or not foul

Millhouse

Living Legend
I rarely feel so deferential but I had a feeling of dread when we started fouling because I thought it made it more likely that we'd lose in regulation. Boeheim might feel the same way but was so justifiably worried about overtime. I talk myself out of the dread because jb is intuitive, brilliant, and experienced

It was an interesting strategy that I respect. Most coaches play to delay losing. Boeheim seemingly accepted increased risk of losing in regulation because he so desperately wanted to avoid overtime.

In a more normal game, I think you just let them have the last shot but yesterday was not normal

This is so fun. And fugly. Fungly?

I rarely feel so deferential but I had a feeling of dread when we started fouling because I thought it made it more likely that we'd lose in regulation. Boeheim might feel the same way but was so justifiably worried about overtime. I talk myself out of the dread because jb is intuitive, brilliant, and experienced

It was an interesting strategy that I respect. Most coaches play to delay losing. Boeheim seemingly accepted increased risk of losing in regulation because he so desperately wanted to avoid overtime.

In a more normal game, I think you just let them have the last shot but yesterday was not normal

I loved it. Basically he said you are going to have to make a miracle shot to beat us and I'll take those odds. It was smart basketball

I'm normally a "foul" guy in these situations unless your guards can't shoot free throws. I understand the other strategy, though.

But when you only go seven deep, both your centers have four fouls, as does one of your forwards, your point guard has fouled out and you're playing a walk-on (yeah, I know), I feel even stronger that trying to win in regulation is the right play.

I think fouling is the right move however battle fouled McQuade way too quick . McQuade is a catch and shoot guy , he’s not going to create his own shot off the dribble and shoot it that quickly .. I thought battle should have pressured him a bit and forced a couple more seconds off the clock .

Another complicating factor was how we had to bring in Sidibe on the FTs to improve rebounding . This meant there was a really good chance that either he or chukwu would get the board and be fouled

None of this mattered as Izzo inexplicably had his guy make both even with under 4 seconds left

I am always team foul. That said, the fact that we had turned it over and the fsct that Michigan State was getting every offensive rebound out there did give me pause, but in the end, I'm gonna foul.

Such a good point, and every announcer buys into it as well; team down 4 or 5 late in the game, it's always "dont need a 3 yet". Almost like it's a contest between guys to see how late in the game you can declare it "still time for a 2"

I was terrified of a missed free throw with a putback

This was the one thing I kept thinking, given their superiority on the glass. We couldn't box them out to save our lives, and they had pulled down one or two offensive boards off missed FTs already.

But surprisingly, MSU didn't miss purposely. Thought Izzo had an awful, awful game overall.

This was the one thing I kept thinking, given their superiority on the glass. We couldn't box them out to save our lives, and they had pulled down one or two offensive boards off missed FTs already.

But surprisingly, MSU didn't miss purposely. Thought Izzo had an awful, awful game overall.

MSU really had issues capitalizing on those offensive rebounds and making any put back shots but I was also fearful how those odds would continue. One mistake on defense and...

He’s looked she’ll shocked ever since the cover up stories began... really reminds me a lot of Ed Grimley with his facial expressions

Most coaches play to delay losing.
Such a good point, and every announcer buys into it as well; team down 4 or 5 late in the game, it's always "dont need a 3 yet". Almost like it's a contest between guys to see how late in the game you can declare it "still time for a 2"

They like to delay losing mostly when it's likely they will lose (ie always kick the FG when you're down 10, or the PAT down 9). Go off those beaten paths and you get crushed.
Fouling doesn't take as much guts because most are pro-fouling at this point.

I am not as dogmatic about it as some. As Bilas said years ago, if fouling up 3 is obviously right, then why not up 2 as well.

They like to delay losing mostly when it's likely they will lose (ie always kick the FG when you're down 10, or the PAT down 9). Go off those beaten paths and you get crushed.
Fouling doesn't take as much guts because most are pro-fouling at this point.

I am not as dogmatic about it as some. As Bilas said years ago, if fouling up 3 is obviously right, then why not up 2 as well.

Because you can tie it with 2 FT?

Though I do think there are european coaches who will foul at the end of quarters (not the game necessarily) to get an extra possession.

Yesterday was an best case example of why you foul.

We had no chance in OT.
There were 9.7 we fouled at 9. They made both.

The home run pass took it down to 7.7. Battle hit both.

We then fouled with 3.7. They hit both.

Somehow Chukwu didn’t get fouled till 2.4.

He smartly missed the second after making the first which prevented the home run pass and we won.

Yesterday was a clinic on why you foul.
NBA people noticed.

I was certain they were gonna hit a game tying three. I was ok to see them fouling.

Because you can tie it with 2 FT?

Though I do think there are european coaches who will foul at the end of quarters (not the game necessarily) to get an extra possession.
European coaches will foul at the end tied.
They want the opponent to miss one and allow them to win by 1.
Argentina fouled Spain intentionally with the game tied at 74 in the 2006 FIBA they wanted to force Spain to make FTs and Manu missed a 3 to win.

Yesterday was an best case example of why you foul.

We had no chance in OT.
There were 9.7 we fouled at 9. They made both.

The home run pass took it down to 7.7. Battle hit both.

We then fouled with 3.7. They hit both.

Somehow Chukwu didn’t get fouled till 2.4.

He smartly missed the second after making the first which prevented the home run pass and we won.

Yesterday was a clinic on why you foul.
NBA people noticed.

I don’t think PC missed the 2nd on purpose.

Incidentally, Next time you’re out on a court , try and miss a FT on purpose while making sure you hit the rim. It’s acually not that easy if you’ve developed the muscle memory all your life to make them

I don’t think PC missed the 2nd on purpose.

Incidentally, Next time you’re out on a court , try and miss a FT on purpose while making sure you hit the rim. It’s acually not that easy if you’ve developed the muscle memory all your life to make them
All you have to do is move a little to
Left or right and shoot it straight.
That will hit the rim and you will miss most likely.
I agree it’s hard to miss on purpose but yesterday the last 9.7 after the turnovers we handled the late game brilliantly.

I think fouling is the right move however battle fouled McQuade way too quick
That is what I thought as well. Even texted my buddy at that particular moment saying the same thing.

Argentina fouled Spain intentionally with the game tied at 74 in the 2006 FIBA they wanted to force Spain to make FTs and Manu missed a 3 to win.

Man, that is ballsy. I get doing it at the end of quarters, the math works out there. I guess it's the same math at the end of games, but that's tough.

Unless you shoot over 50 percent , I would think fouling on purpose up or tied is a bad move .