Fouling Up 3: What have we done? | Syracusefan.com

Fouling Up 3: What have we done?

iommi

Living Legend
I had a friendly debate in the chat room last night with Alsacs, who insisted that JB always fouls in the closing moments of games up 3. I maintained that he doesn't do that as a rule. Last year against Clemson, he wanted to foul but Tyler Lydon didn't get to the shooter and Clemson hit a game-tying 3 (and went on to win in OT...that was a tough loss because Malachi missed a FT that could've iced it in regulation),

But in the past JB has said he does it on a case-by-case basis. I remember him saying it's a tough call but we certainly don't ALWAYS foul in that situation. In fact, I bet we usually have NOT fouled.

Can anyone settle this?

I had a friendly debate in the chat room last night with Alsacs, who insisted that JB always fouls in the closing moments of games up 3. I maintained that he doesn't do that as a rule. Last year against Clemson, he wanted to foul but Tyler Lydon didn't get to the shooter and Clemson hit a game-tying 3 (and went on to win in OT...that was a tough loss because Malachi missed a FT that could've iced it in regulation),

But in the past JB has said he does it on a case-by-case basis. I remember him saying it's a tough call but we certainly don't ALWAYS foul in that situation. In fact, I bet we usually have NOT fouled.

Can anyone settle this?

Seems like a case by case basis but he seemingly does it more often than not to the point where it seems like a "rule". I think there are variables to it, other teams press defense after the shots are made, their three point ability, and probably 100 others that are in JBs head that I'll probably never think of.

Seems like a case by case basis but he seemingly does it more often than not to the point where it seems like a "rule". I think there are variables to it, other teams press defense after the shots are made, their three point ability, and probably 100 others that are in JBs head that I'll probably never think of.

I recall games (cannot think of specific ones but remember the scenario coming up) where I was holding my breath as opponents tried a three over the zone.

JB didn't used to foul, but the past few years he's changed his approach.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Alsacs said JB has ALWAYS fouled and people who say otherwise, don't follow the program closely.

Wasn't that Clemson game Hop's last game as HC before JB's return? Regardless, the plan was to foul, but Lydon couldn't get there in time.

Yeah I remember Villanova, Clemson and Duke as games where we did not foul up by 3. I'm sure there are others where we didn't foul and the shot didn't go in, but that's not as memorable, so not as easy to think of off the top of my head.

No, he said JB ALWAYS has fouled up 3.
Dude whatever he fouls up 3.
You were wrong. I don't care if you want to fight a game of semantics.
JB believes in fouling up 3.

He might believe in the philosophy, but he doesn't do it all the time. Maybe not even half the time.

It's not semantics. You said JB always fouls up 3 and anyone who says otherwise hasn't followed SU basketball all these years.

I never said we don't foul up 3. I said we don't do it all the time, and we don't. It's not that big a deal.

I was right though.;) Have a good one.

It's not semantics. You said JB always fouls up 3 and anyone who says otherwise hasn't followed SU basketball all these years.

I never said we don't foul up 3. I said we don't do it all the time, and we don't. It's not that big a deal.

I will admit that I did say never in the chat. I was obviously wrong though.

I've only watched JB coach since the 3-point line was implemented (actually, well before that, but let's not talk about it...).

You are 100% right in saying he has not always fouled late when up 3.

And I would say that historically he chose NOT to foul up 3 more than the alternative.

Wasn't that Clemson game Hop's last game as HC before JB's return? Regardless, the plan was to foul, but Lydon couldn't get there in time.
The coach said the same thing in interview after first Duke game at the Dome when Duke hit a 3 to send it to OT.
CJ Fair was supposed to foul but couldn't get there.
Seems more of a question of team end-game preparation than poor player execution.

We fouled @UVA when it was a non-conf. game in '09ish. They had two good Guards, one was named Singletary or something.

Can anyone settle this?
The Clemson game was Hop on the bench not JB correct? I think JB usually fouls if the clock is under 5 to stop the 3 but I feel like that has changed. I remember back in like 2004 against Rutgers though they got a good look and rimmed out a 3. Although I think in the post game interview he said that was a mistake. I think he has changed his opinion on this in the last decade.

JB just said it was "the best way to win" on hsi show and said he's been doing it for years, having changed his mind "a long time ago".

JB just said it was "the best way to win" on hsi show and said he's been doing it for years, having changed his mind "a long time ago".

Well as we all know, things that JB says can contain alternative facts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom