Four year scholarships? | Syracusefan.com

Four year scholarships?

JoeSU

All American
I don't believe this hasn't been discussed here, but last fall the NCAA approved legislation allowing schools the option of granting multiyear scholarships rather than the traditional one-year renewable grant. I guess the idea is to offer athletes more security (and a recruiting advantage?), while still allowing schools to revoke the scholarship should a player run into academic or disciplinary issues.

A large number of schools objected, and the change is now being reconsidered, but yesterday nine Big Ten schools and at least one SEC school (Florida) went ahead and signed players to four-year scholarships. Do folks here have any opinions on this new legislation and whether it would it be a good or bad thing for SU?

I read someplace that Auburn did the same thing.

IMO, I think they should all be 4 year scholies as long as academic and behavior guidelines are met.

IMO, I think they should all be 4 year scholies as long as academic and behavior guidelines are met.

Disagree. Scholarships should be renewed year-to-year. What if a kid blows up to 325lbs and loses all motivation to play? With a guaranteed 4 year schollie to all, teams are stuck.

Obviously if a kid is injured on the field, the right thing for a school to do is to honor the 4 year commitment.

It's a two way street.

If a kid agrees to a 4 year scholarship, he shouldn't be allowed to transfer to another school.

It's a two way street.

If a kid agrees to a 4 year scholarship, he shouldn't be allowed to transfer to another school.

He should if the school lets him out of the scholie. Then it becomes a 1 way street.

Disagree. Scholarships should be renewed year-to-year. What if a kid blows up to 325lbs and loses all motivation to play? With a guaranteed 4 year schollie to all, teams are stuck.

Obviously if a kid is injured on the field, the right thing for a school to do is to honor the 4 year commitment.

If he blows up to 325 then he's going to have a heck of a time doing a lot of extra running.

It's a two way street.

Wrong. Lots of non sports reasons to transfer. Also, what if the coach leaves? Its supposed to be about educating kids, not wins and losses.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Wrong. Lots of non sports reasons to transfer. Also, what if the coach leaves? Its supposed to be about educating kids, not wins and losses.

Isn't the kid going to school to get an education ... and isn't he going to get the same education regardless of who the football coach is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom