Fran had to call another TO there | Syracusefan.com

Fran had to call another TO there

That kicker might have it if they tried it on 4th and 10 from 60 yards. He was never missing.

You know, I don't think any coach could have predicted that a future NFL receiver would be a primary target in that situation.

True! Unfreaking real just no excuse for that garbage none!

That kicker might have it if they tried it on 4th and 10 from 60 yards. He was never missing.
My wife said we were in trouble with that kicker as soon as they got the ball back with 3 minutes left. I was thinking the same thing before she said it but I didn't dare speak what I knew to be true. Pain

I was surprised we didn't use a TO to stop the clock with enough time to get the ball back after the FG try.
Ding ding ding! We should’ve called TO during that entire drive to stop the clock. We were never holding them and we should’ve known that. Even with 30 seconds we could’ve gotten the ball and moved it right back for our own game winning FG. Andre Ware was calling for us to call TOs the entire time on the broadcast. I don’t understand why we didn’t. Once they got into plus territory, there was no way we were going to prevent them from kicking. We should’ve preserved as much time as possible for us to get the ball back.

On the other end, we scored too quickly, but because we have no running game, we couldn’t dictate anything, so we had to take the quick score with 3 minutes to go when it presented itself. You have to score a TD there, so we had no other choice, but with a running game, we probably run it a couple more times before scoring to chew clock. We can’t run the ball. That’s a problem in football.

Ding ding ding! We should’ve called TO during that entire drive to stop the clock. We were never holding them and we should’ve known that. Even with 30 seconds we could’ve gotten the ball and moved it right back for our own game winning FG. Andre Ware was calling for us to call TOs the entire time on the broadcast. I don’t understand why we didn’t. Once they got into plus territory, there was no way we were going to prevent them from kicking. We should’ve preserved as much time as possible for us to get the ball back.

On the other end, we scored too quickly, but because we have no running game, we couldn’t dictate anything, so we had to take the quick score with 3 minutes to go when it presented itself. You have to score a TD there, so we had no other choice, but with a running game, we probably run it a couple more times before scoring to chew clock. We can’t run the ball. That’s a problem in football.
We call a TO they just take another knee. It was second down for the FG try.

Time out management ..was not a concern here. We lose a game and fans are reaching to find ways to blame the coaches...
Bill, I think there are plenty of issues to go around. Not just trying to blame coaching but coaching wasn’t very good either. It was a collective loss. I actually wish it were one thing. It’d be easier to rationalize. Anyway, there were many aspects of the game that were indeed coaching but just as many that have to do with player/personnel too.

Your simple truth that we lost the game is 100% correct. Stanford was the better, more physical team. I think that’s the realization that hurts the most, doesn’t it? We just aren’t as good as we had hoped we might be. Having said that, yes, there were coaching deficiencies as well as player deficiencies.

The ACC is weak. The season isn’t over. But that loss was a bad indication of what is to come. We’ll see.

Bill, I think there are plenty of issues to go around. Not just trying to blame coaching but coaching wasn’t very good either. It was a collective loss. I actually wish it were one thing. It’d be easier to rationalize. Anyway, there were many aspects of the game that were indeed coaching but just as many that have to do with player/personnel too.

Your simple truth that we lost the game is 100% correct. Stanford was the better, more physical team. I think that’s the realization that hurts the most, doesn’t it? We just aren’t as good as we had hoped we might be. Having said that, yes, there were coaching deficiencies as well as player deficiencies.

The ACC is weak. The season isn’t over. But that loss was a bad indication of what is to come. We’ll see.
Yeah, I think we had high hopes. This was a winnable game for sure and for us to be who we thought we could be, we should have won this game. it will; be very interesting from here on out. Do we have enough talent to win 10 games? On offense, McCord is very good, but he needs major help from the O line and the run game. Our passing attack is really good, but success will be hard to come by when you run 13 times and pass 42 times. Time of possession , when it faavors us, it also favors our defense, which isn't great, but not horrible. I am hopeful. Just watched NC State getting blown out by Clemson, North Carolina is losing to James Madison. The ACC is there for the taking this year.

Yeah, I think we had high hopes. This was a winnable game for sure and for us to be who we thought we could be, we should have won this game. it will; be very interesting from here on out. Do we have enough talent to win 10 games? On offense, McCord is very good, but he needs major help from the O line and the run game. Our passing attack is really good, but success will be hard to come by when you run 13 times and pass 42 times. Time of possession , when it faavors us, it also favors our defense, which isn't great, but not horrible. I am hopeful. Just watched NC State getting blown out by Clemson, North Carolina is losing to James Madison. The ACC is there for the taking this year.
Unfortunately we don't play that dumpster fire down in Chapel Hill. NC St is trash and VT looks like nothing special. Beat those 2 along with HC and storz that's 6 wins. If I had to rank the other 4 road games from easiest to hardest I'd go UNLV, Pitt, BC, Cal. The other game on the schedule home Miami I'd give a slightest of chance due to their coach being a grade A moron.

I was surprised we didn't use a TO to stop the clock with enough time to get the ball back after the FG try.
I don't think we had enough. How much time was left after the 4th and 9? We only had two TOs left because we used the one before they picked up the first down.

Ware was a moron there. Once they picked up the the 1st on the 4th and 9, we didn't have enough to keep them from running it down. I guess Fran could've called them just to make fans feel like he was trying, but it would've ultimately been fruitless, unless you're hoping they botch a snap. Even if he saves the one he called before 4th and 9 and make them run three plays that successfully stop before they kick, we get it back with maybe 10 sec left.

I don't think we had enough. How much time was left after the 4th and 9? We only had two TOs left because we used the one before they picked up the first down.

If we kept the TO that we used before 4th down we would have had time. We could have used the two TOs to keep time on the clock, but they would have run two more plays and then used their TO.

Not that it mattered, but I believe we could have used the 2nd TO before the FG given the penalty in between.

The timeouts would have been useless like many are saying. The 4th and 9 defensive call was idiotic and inevitably cost us the game, and was inexcusable. But, if we actually could have run for more than 25 freaking yards, if Villari actually turned and looked at a pass when he was wide open, if we had turned that great INT deep in their territory into 7 points instead of a garbage 3 and out drive where we settled for 3.. so, while that last boneheaded defensive strategy was inexcusable, it was just a big poop show all night

If we kept the TO that we used before 4th down we would have had time. We could have used the two TOs to keep time on the clock, but they would have run two more plays and then used their TO.

Not that it mattered, but I believe we could have used the 2nd TO before the FG given the penalty in between.
The play by play on espn.com showed the 4th and 9 play was run with 37 seconds left. If they run 4 plays, including the field goal, that's around 20 more seconds off the clock. So we get the ball back with 15 seconds and no time outs. That's not enough time for anything realistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom