Francesa says Cal cant coach. Cal calls him up | Syracusefan.com

Francesa says Cal cant coach. Cal calls him up

The Sports Pope is correct. Cal is not a great coach he is a great recruiter/motivator. Calipari had no business missing the tournament last year with the talent he gets each year. He is good at spinning and making an excuse and he just oozes dirty with his connections to Worldwide Wes.

Cant stand to listen to Franfatfuc.k. Love the Mike Zaun parodies though

I'm not going to argue about whether or not he is doing it by the rules since either way he keeps rolling in NBA talent. Cal may not be one of the elite game coaches in college but recruiting is a huge part of success and he certainly gets that done better than anyone else. I think he's actually a decent coach with some limitations but gets to work with some of the best talent and as mentioned by Alsacs he is certainly good at motivating his players. Objectively if you include recruiting and exclude cheating has got to be on any list of currant coaches.

The Sports Pope is correct. Cal is not a great coach he is a great recruiter/motivator. Calipari had no business missing the tournament last year with the talent he gets each year. He is good at spinning and making an excuse and he just oozes dirty with his connections to Worldwide Wes.

If you have a team with multiple high school all Americans, you really have no excuse to miss the tournament.

Calipari is a great overall coach. He always gets his kids to buy in and play hard defensively.
He is a good recruiter so he gets good talent. If he had equal talent with Izzo,-Coach K, Donovan, Boeheim, Jay Wright, Pitino, Self and played a best of 7 series I would favor all of those coaches. His system is easy to identify he reminds me of Scott. Brooks in that he relies too heavily on his stars.
The man can recruit so he is elite but I would like to see him coach a team like SU had last year and see how he would do.

The guy didn't have a ton of all americans when he was at Umass
He had the best player in college basketball surrounded by good role players. Marcus Camby and apparently he did some shady stuff to get Camby from UConn which I am glad he did. However, Calipari has just always oozed dirty to me. He is an elite coach because he can recruit. He is the chef who gets elite ingredients and as a result cooks a world class meal instead of being an elite chef who can take lesser ingredients and make a world class meal.
I can't call him a bad coach because he can ecru it and motivate but his system and coaching development is not good IMO.

The guy didn't have a ton of all americans when he was at Umass

Yup. Here we go again on Cal. I think he is a very good coach. Numerous coaches and experts like Bilas on air have mocked the opinions of the ones who say he can't coach. A couple of things. How would Boeheim fare in Lexington with the media circus and pressure to win? It HAS to be a tough task to get these primadonas to buy into the team concept especially when there isn't much time since they all bolt early. His own doing for sure with the way he recruits. To sacrifice. They generally play unselfish ball and good basketball. You are going to have a season like the Noel injury/Robert Morris where it is broken and can't get fixed. Too many parts that don't fit and bad attitudes. It can happen to any coach. One thing for sure is most of these guys become better players under him and beyond.

Cal probably is dirty, because he coaches big time college basketball. He might even be the dirtiest. But I still think the guy can coach. He went 54-12 at Umass the 2 years before Camby showed up. All of the best coaches in the game win because th ey have great talent; that's how you win!

As far as the UK team that got bounced by WVU or whoever it was: We should know by now that a team needs shooters to win it all. Or at least some shotmakers when you need one. No matter how athletic you are if you can't shoot you lose. WVU zoned them and packed it in. Wall couldn't shoot. Bledsoe was streaky, good inside play with Cousins/Patterson, but you need outside shooting these days.

I can't say he can't coach because obviously he is well above average. I just don't even think he is the ballpark of the elite college coaches. Calipari would get a 10 out of 10 as a recruiter, 10 out of 10 as a motivator and then a 6 out of 10 as an X's and O's guy. He is a good coach but not a great coach. I would love to see him coach a team not full of High school all-Americans each year. I think Roy Williams is overrated as an X's and O's.

Francesa knew something about college hoops 15-20 years ago but he is clueless now, and has been so since then.. He's refers to Majueras (sp) and Knight...not exactly current references.. Whether Cal is better with X's and O's than JB, Roy or others is pointless and subjective. . I don't like him but he wins. And he creates pros. My guess is that's what's most important to kids being recruited- not if he can teach them X's and O's better than someone else. Francesa just harps on and on about a subjective issue as if its fact and anyone disagreeing with him is a dope. I'm not a Cal fan but I'm pleased he called him out a bit on it.

I can't say he can't coach because obviously he is well above average. I just don't even think he is the ballpark of the elite college coaches. Calipari would get a 10 out of 10 as a recruiter, 10 out of 10 as a motivator and then a 6 out of 10 as an X's and O's guy. He is a good coach but not a great coach. I would love to see him coach a team not full of High school all-Americans each year. I think Roy Williams is overrated as an X's and O's.

But he did this for a while and he was very successful. Not as successful as he is now, which, duh. Camby was a great college player, but he wasn't a mcdonalds AA. I don't think there were a ton, at least the first half of his Memphis run, but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying Calipari is th ebest coach in the game or anything, but we don't need to act like he's had incredible talent every year of his coaching career. When Cal took Umass over, they had 1 NCAA tournament appearance in school history.

I think it's ridiculous it's even a discussion, but if Cal wants to put the "can't coach" stuff to bed I think he'll need to go back to the NBA and take a team to the playoffs.*

*He did that with the Nets, but they were an 8 seed and qualified on the last day of the season, so...

I think it's ridiculous it's even a discussion, but if Cal wants to put the "can't coach" stuff to bed I think he'll need to go back to the NBA and take a team to the playoffs.*

*He did that with the Nets, but they were an 8 seed and qualified on the last day of the season, so...
Completely disagree he needs to win without a 8 McDonald's all-Americans. If only had 1 one and done player each yet instead of loading up on them he show his development abilities. He ruined Harrow and Whiljer two years ago he is t best recruiter and motivator in the country but I don't think his coaching is better than slightly above average.

Completely disagree he needs to win without a 8 McDonald's all-Americans. If only had 1 one and done player each yet instead of loading up on them he show his development abilities.
If you can get 8 burger boys, you get 8 burger boys. He's not going to recruit less talented players than he can get commitments from in order to prove something about his standing as a coaching mind. A smart coaching mind would get the best roster he can.

Cal has as many final fours in the last decade as JB in his career.

CAN'T COACH.

Cal has as many final fours in the last decade as JB in his career.

CAN'T COACH.
He is also the only coach in NCAA history to have 2 Final fours wiped off the books. UMass was because of Camby but the 2008 Memphis one with Derek Rose team I put on him.

JB has underachieved in 2010-2012, 2014 but I don't think he is the ballpark of dirty that Calipari is with Worldwide Wes.

actually fatfresca was playing with him. cal is great with exes and ohs, but his players are always new and not experienced so he's limited with what he can do. I hate what has happ[ened to Kentucky and us too.