Fran's post bowl game team meeting .. | Syracusefan.com

Fran's post bowl game team meeting ..

As a person who’s been around as a coach for losses like this, words will be said, some of them even positive /celebratory as we try not to forget about the good from the season. None of it will be valuable to fans who want to see this as hope. the season is over, and everyone in the room knows many of them won’t be back in Orange next year. This is an ending more than the “beginning”

Frans meeting on January 15, that’s the meeting you want to see, and the speech you want to see Fran deliver.

That’s fine, I’m just here to tell you Frans message today will be minimal at best, and I suspect Nunzio does most of the talking, as he has been in charge since Babers was fired, and has been with these men for The entire season.

id wager Fran starts with the positives of working hard to earn a bowl bid despite the struggles on offense, particularly overcoming injuries. Then he will lay into them genrically with some commentary on things not being good enough, and that it will never happen that way again. Something like, “Today we need to be accountable for our failings on the field as a program and as men, starting tomorrow we need to be dedicated, relentless and tirelessly work to never have to feel the way you feel right now again after a game. True toughness is on display when times are the hardest. Reflect on your DART in preparation for today, and how it can be better going forwards. Let’s get out of here, let’s get home safe, celebrate the holidays with our families and starting January 15th we work together to get this thing right. Family on 3.“ *breaks it down*

I never expected anything close to this. Team was unprepared, and didn't care about this game at all sans a couple of players. Disgusting effort by the coaches and players
I think if we didn’t have that fumbled snap turned touchdown for USF in the first quarter the game plays out differently. We still lose, but that play was so deflating/demoralizing that I think a bunch of guys gave up at that point, especially those that are leaving and/or already received a “talk” about their potential opportunity to compete next year.

But it happened, and so did the rest of it. Can’t bury our heads in the sand and pretend it isn’t real. Have to look at it holistically and decide where we can improve, both in talent and in scheme and any other ways before January 15th.

I think if we didn’t have that fumbled snap turned touchdown for USF in the first quarter the game plays out differently. We still lose, but that play was so deflating/demoralizing that I think a bunch of guys gave up at that point, especially those that are leaving and/or already received a “talk” about their potential opportunity to compete next year.

But it happened, and so did the rest of it. Can’t bury our heads in the sand and pretend it isn’t real. Have to look at it holistically and decide where we can improve, both in talent and in scheme and any other ways before January 15th.
With all respect, I don’t think it changed that much.

They beat the hell out of us. By far the more physical team.

If anything, it underscores for me what Fran has been talking about in the S&C area.

Think you’re taking it way more seriously than any recruit would. They’re not dumb - they know the flawed state of the program right now.
Knowing it and seeing it first hand are different. Tonight's effort and showing would absolutely make me think twice about wanting to be on that team.

Knowing it and seeing it first hand are different. Tonight's effort and showing would absolutely make me think twice about wanting to be on that team.
I get that you’re ticked off but I’m not sure how or why a recruit would be impacted by this game knowing it’s not even being coached by the coach recruiting them. There are 24 kids signed up already to the new staff, 28% of the roster, with more to come. At the end of the day it’s a mediocre 6-7 team with an ugly loss in a bowl gsme most people don’t even watch. Best case was a mediocre 7-6 team with some kind of win in a bowl most people don’t even watch.

Deion was able to recruit 50+ kids to a 1-11 program last year. This isn’t remotely as bad as that

Transfer and recruits don’t give a rats behind about what happened last night. Shoot I would be a quietly excited because I know I have the chance to make an immediate impact.
Agreed, they aren’t coming here with their eye on playing in the Boca Raton bowl. win, lose whatever. They committed to the coach and program that starts January 15th. The talent needs a complete overhaul but that was a program with no coach and kids that know many won’t be back next year. They could have responded two ways, fight or quit. I’m sure a few wanted to fight but can’t play football with no effort versus a USF team that clearly wanted to kick our arse and they did

Knowing it and seeing it first hand are different. Tonight's effort and showing would absolutely make me think twice about wanting to be on that team.t
Actually it works the opposite for me knowing Fran brown is in charge. As a high level recruit I see immediate playing time all over the field. I’m packing my bags for January arrival because I’m gonna be a starter in day 1.

I never expected anything close to this. Team was unprepared, and didn't care about this game at all sans a couple of players. Disgusting effort by the coaches and players

I stopped watching our game and watched the NFL game with several minutes left in the first half. I haven’t missed a second of our bowl games since I was 8 years old watching the 85 Cherry Bowl.

What a disgusting effort last night. I don’t give a damn if bowl games are meaningless. The players and coaches involved in last night’s debacle should be ashamed of them selves. Way to go out like a bunch of wussies.

Last edited:

So many of those long throws, our defender was right there. They just needed to turn around and fight for the ball. That could have stopped or slowed down at least 3 TDs. My kid commented how the ball practically gave our defenders a haircut as it whizzed by them on the way to easy TDs for USF.

I mentioned this in the game thread. I’ve seen a lot of bad football in the last 20 years. A lot. But this game was the absolute worst I have ever witnessed.
I was going to say, I know the team went 500 for the season, but this season felt worse than past seasons, even with losing records. Might just be recency bias though.

I mentioned this in the game thread. I’ve seen a lot of bad football in the last 20 years. A lot. But this game was the absolute worst I have ever witnessed.
I never played football, but it doesnt seem like a game you can play "half way." We played a committed opponent (who didnt really have a good win all year) with a bunch of lame duck players and coaches; this is what happens.

I have found myself saying this about a lot of games the last 20 years during the Robinson, Shafer and Babers eras. I am kind of numb and come to expect it. Just hoping the next guy can fix it. Wash, rinse repeat.

100 percent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom