Eric15

Living Legend
The Top 5 most free throws made in a single season are as follows:
1. Greg Kohls, 222, 1971-72
2. Derrick Coleman, 171, 1988-89
3. Tyus Battle, 167, 2017-18
4. Todd Burgan, 155, 1997-98
5. Lawrence Moten, 152, 1991-92

Judah has 71 after 10 games. If he maintained this pace, he would finish with 220 free throws made during the regular season, and then would almost certainly break the record in the ACC Tournament.

(In Kohls' defense, they played a total of 28 games in 1971-72 whereas we will play 31 this year before the postseason.) But still extremely impressive for Judah, nonetheless.

I guess we see if this search for contact method plays out over the whole season. it has in a bunch of games and then was ignore in a couple as well.

Judah has 71 after 10 games. If he maintained this pace, he would finish with 220 free throws made during the regular season, and then would almost certainly break the record in the ACC Tournament.

(In Kohls' defense, they played a total of 28 games in 1971-72 whereas we will play 31 this year before the postseason.) But still extremely impressive for Judah, nonetheless.
I just missed the Kid Kohls era. Never saw him play. Those numbers are incredible for a guy with a reputation as a great outside shooter.

I assume he was also good at driving past over extended defenders and getting a foul slashing to the basket?

I just missed the Kid Kohls era. Never saw him play. Those numbers are incredible for a guy with a reputation as a great outside shooter.

I assume he was also good at driving past over extended defenders and getting a foul slashing to the basket?
Greg (Kid) Kohls was an awesome shooter whose scoring can’t be compared since there were no 3 point shots back then. Boeheim said he was probably the best “long shooter” SU ever had and that he would have averaged at least 5 more points a game if they had counted 3’s back then.

As it was he averaged his junior year 22 points/game, 4 assists, and then 27 points, 4 assists as a senior. Freshman couldn’t play and he rarely played his sophomore year. What is even more amazing is that his Fg% was 44.4% for his career despite shooting mostly what would have been 3’s today. How great to average 44.4% as an SU player. :)I was fortunate to see him even play at an away game at Niagara, my then boyfriend, later husband’s college, and saw him go off as usual in an SU win against a very good Niagara team coached by Frank Layden (later the heralded Utah Jazz head coach). Wonder how many of those foul shots he took would have been 3 shots instead of 2 also?

Bit of a tangent--

I have a Kid Kohls story.

A year or two after he graduated, we crossed paths in a local watering hole. He had just been cut by the Buffalo Braves, and he was saying negative things about the Braves' coach, the later sainted Dr. Jack Ramsay.

The last guard spot was given to Dave Wohl, a good guard from Penn, who was a fairly high draft pick. (Kohls was undrafted.) I tried to lighten the mood by cracking (with the help of a brew) "They only kept him
because he's left handed". To which Kohls replied "I'd have played left handed if they kept me".

Kohls played for a few years with the Washington Generals vs the Globetrotters.

The Top 5 most free throws made in a single season are as follows
Interesting set of names. Obviously the record for Syracuse.

I was curious, so I looked at the ACC. The winner for most free throw attempts in a single season (TWICE) ... Tyler Hansborough with 377 in his junior year (39 games) on 535 FGA. So he basically was taking a free throw on 70% of his FGAs. He has three of the top 4 seasons in ACC history (to 1992) with 377 (2008), 315 (2007), and 296 (2009). Cat Barber was the name that sprang to mind as someone who lived on the free throw line. His high was 274 in his junior season.

Good luck Judah, we're all counting on you.

ETA: I see you had made free throws there. I looked at attempts. Hansborough is still the leader far and away.
ETA2: Oshae Brissett made 174 FTs in his freshman year and isn't on your list.

Last edited:
My bad, everybody. I was looking at the wrong list on Orangehoops. Here is the actual Top 5 of all-time.

2. John Wallace, 222, 1995-96
3. Hakim Warrick, 211, 2004-05
4. Derrick Coleman, 188, 1989-90
5. Jonny Flynn, 180, 2008-09

I accidentally looked at the list on the left here, but it's the one on the right that I needed to look at.

Bit of a tangent--

I have a Kid Kohls story.

A year or two after he graduated, we crossed paths in a local watering hole. He had just been cut by the Buffalo Braves, and he was saying negative things about the Braves' coach, the later sainted Dr. Jack Ramsay.

The last guard spot was given to Dave Wohl, a good guard from Penn, who was a fairly high draft pick. (Kohls was undrafted.) I tried to lighten the mood by cracking (with the help of a brew) "They only kept him
because he's left handed". To which Kohls replied "I'd have played left handed if they kept me".

Kohls played for a few years with the Washington Generals vs the Globetrotters.
Kohls was drafted by Buffalo in the 7th round back then when there were up to 21 rounds in the NBA draft. Dave Wohl was already an nba veteran when Kohls graduated - Buffalo was his 3rd NBA team and was drafted in the 3rd round by the 76’ers the year before Kohls. I imagine Wohl being a 6’4 guard vs Kohls 6’1 height had something to do with his being cut too. Kohls was better offensively in college but I doubt very much that he was better defensively than Wohl. Back then being left handed was a real asset too. Thanks, it’s a good story - tough when players get cut - Wohl was a reserve vagabond player in the NBA but was valued enough to still make a living after his playing days as a coach in the NBA from 1978-2011.

Kohls was drafted by Buffalo in the 7th round back then when there were up to 21 rounds in the NBA draft. Dave Wohl was already an nba veteran when Kohls graduated - Buffalo was his 3rd NBA team and was drafted in the 3rd round by the 76’ers the year before Kohls. I imagine Wohl being a 6’4 guard vs Kohls 6’1 height had something to do with his being cut too. Kohls was better offensively in college but I doubt very much that he was better defensively than Wohl. Back then being left handed was a real asset too. Thanks, it’s a good story - tough when players get cut - Wohl was a reserve vagabond player in the NBA but was valued enough to still make a living after his playing days as a coach in the NBA from 1978-2011.
Thanks for clearing up my faltering memory.

I thought his dislike for Jack Ramsay was an interesting part of the conversation.

Interesting set of names. Obviously the record for Syracuse.

I was curious, so I looked at the ACC. The winner for most free throw attempts in a single season (TWICE) ... Tyler Hansborough with 377 in his junior year (39 games) on 535 FGA. So he basically was taking a free throw on 70% of his FGAs. He has three of the top 4 seasons in ACC history (to 1992) with 377 (2008), 315 (2007), and 296 (2009). Cat Barber was the name that sprang to mind as someone who lived on the free throw line. His high was 274 in his junior season.

Good luck Judah, we're all counting on you.

ETA: I see you had made free throws there. I looked at attempts. Hansborough is still the leader far and away.
ETA2: Oshae Brissett made 174 FTs in his freshman year and isn't on your list.
Best Wishes Good Luck GIF

Interesting. I was also shocked to look at it and see that Bell and Taylor had each taken just 5 FTs in nearly 300 mins each (294 for Taylor, 283 for Bell). I know both are more shooters than big men or guys who are going to the rack, but damn ... that is a paltry number of FTs for two key players.

Interesting. I was also shocked to look at it and see that Bell and Taylor had each taken just 5 FTs in nearly 300 mins each (294 for Taylor, 283 for Bell). I know both are more shooters than big men or guys who are going to the rack, but damn ... that is a paltry number of FTs for two key players.
I'm surprised Taylor hasn't got more FTs based upon his rebounding numbers. When you stick your nose in like that, you usually get some calls.

Thanks for clearing up my faltering memory.

I thought his dislike for Jack Ramsay was an interesting part of the conversation.
Have no idea where his dislike came from. Well I imagine getting cut and maybe feeling he didn’t get a fair chance, whether true or not, shaded his view of Ramsay. Ramsay was just hired and a 1st year coach for Buffalo when Kohls tried out - they weren’t good 21 wins - 61 losses that first year. Ramsay adjusted though, changed his philosophy and was over .500 his last 3 seasons. His record though for his 4 years with the Braves was actually only 158-170. Bill Walton didn’t trust Ramsay or management when he was in Portland, resulting in him leaving the team, so he wasn’t universally loved but was respected as an excellent coach.

Have no idea where his dislike came from. Well I imagine getting cut and maybe feeling he didn’t get a fair chance, whether true or not, shaded his view of Ramsay. Ramsay was just hired and a 1st year coach for Buffalo when Kohls tried out - they weren’t good 21 wins - 61 losses that first year. Ramsay adjusted though, changed his philosophy and was over .500 his last 3 seasons. His record though for his 4 years with the Braves was actually only 158-170. Bill Walton didn’t trust Ramsay or management when he was in Portland, resulting in him leaving the team, so he wasn’t universally loved but was respected as an excellent coacch
You're a bit of an NBA historian. Kudos.

Then he must have a lot of defensive rebounds. And you can draw over-the-back fouls on the defensive boards.
But you can only get FT's on defensive rebounds if you're in the 1+1 or bonus.

Have no idea where his dislike came from. Well I imagine getting cut and maybe feeling he didn’t get a fair chance, whether true or not, shaded his view of Ramsay. Ramsay was just hired and a 1st year coach for Buffalo when Kohls tried out - they weren’t good 21 wins - 61 losses that first year. Ramsay adjusted though, changed his philosophy and was over .500 his last 3 seasons. His record though for his 4 years with the Braves was actually only 158-170. Bill Walton didn’t trust Ramsay or management when he was in Portland, resulting in him leaving the team, so he wasn’t universally loved but was respected as an excellent coach.
Buffalo had some fun to watch (and pretty good) young teams under Ramsey a few years later when they had Bob McAdoo, Jim McMillian, Ernie DiGregorio and Randy Smith. They scored a lot and gave up a lot of points, but they held their own with many very good teams of their time. They played more of wide-open ABA style of basketball, which is probably why I liked them.

The "Kid" was so good.

I can just imagine how many points he would have scored from three-point range.

Buffalo had some fun to watch (and pretty good) young teams under Ramsey a few years later when they had Bob McAdoo, Jim McMillian, Ernie DiGregorio and Randy Smith. They scored a lot and gave up a lot of points, but they held their own with many very good teams of their time. They played more of wide-open ABA style of basketball, which is probably why I liked them.
McAdoo was flat out a beast in his 4 years in Buffalo. Knicks acquiring him for John Gianelli was insane and the beginning of the end of the Buff franchise. Final nail being trading ROY Adrian Dantley the next year.