Free throws | Syracusefan.com

Free throws

What's more maddening, the fact we hardly get to the line, or when we do get there, we miss half the freebies?
both are disturbing but i'll vote for the latter
last season, the team shot 77.7% from the line in conference play, 1st in the conference
nearly half way through, this squad is at 64.8%, dead last

What's more maddening, the fact we hardly get to the line, or when we do get there, we miss half the freebies?

Indeed. We shot 8-15 from the stripe or 53% while BC was 20-23 or 87%. When we get to the line, we have to make them/shoot a respectable percentage at least. Otherwise, it places so much additional pressure on our O, which already struggles enough at times to put the ball in basket.

i think the talent of college referees is very limited. when tyus and oshae get fouled on pretty much every possession, it doesn't get called because they are bigger than the opponents. meanwhile, syracuse got called from breathing on bowman. see it every game.

The misses are going to cost us a game shortly. How can you go from best to worst in FT shooting in one season with the same players ?

It's really ridiculous. Tyus has a better percentage by a couple but I probably have the most confidence in Frank right now if we had to make 2 to win a game

i think the talent of college referees is very limited. when tyus and oshae get fouled on pretty much every possession, it doesn't get called because they are bigger than the opponents. meanwhile, syracuse got called from breathing on bowman. see it every game.

I agree with this. They were both hacked repeatedly last night. It took Bowman literally slapping Battle for him to get his first call of the night after Bowman got 4 or 5 just from hurling his body into defenders.

But, yeah, to the regression point, this team has more shooters than last year and shaved 15% off the averages. It's...frustrating.

Hughes. He's a perimeter player who doesn't attack the rim much. That's the biggest reason for the FTA disparity between last season and this season.

Brissett isn't relied on as much as a result, so he's getting less opportunities to go to the stripe.

Another factor is Frank's injury slowing him down for a good chunk of early season play.

both are disturbing but i'll vote for the latter
last season, the team shot 77.7% from the line in conference play, 1st in the conference
nearly half way through, this squad is at 64.8%, dead last

That and the fall in rebounding numbers are confusing since we have everyone back. Did Moyer mean that much to the team? :)

Hughes. He's a perimeter player who doesn't attack the rim much. That's the biggest reason for the FTA disparity between last season and this season.

Brissett isn't relied on as much as a result, so he's getting less opportunities to go to the stripe.

Another factor is Frank's injury slowing him down for a good chunk of early season play.

And Brissett certainly doesn’t get opportunities when he settles for the trey.

That and the fall in rebounding numbers are confusing since we have everyone back. Did Moyer mean that much to the team? :)
hughes as the 2nd forward makes us a much more perimeter oriented team.
last year in conference, our 3 pt fga/2 pt fga ratio was 34.3, 13th in the conference. this year it's 47.8%, first in the conference
su has always been a relatively weak on the defensive glass as a function of the zone, but usually strong on the offensive glass. the latter is not true this year, because so much of the offense is from the perimeter. hughes in particular is weak on the offensive glass.

The misses are going to cost us a game shortly. How can you go from best to worst in FT shooting in one season with the same players ?

They already cost us the ODU game, maybe also the Buffalo game

I’d expect Hughes and Battle to both be at least 80%. They miss a lot. Irritated me last night. Even Buddy hasn’t been automatic when he’s got there.
The guys who have been or should be solid from the line are all underperforming there. It's pretty weird. I'm not confident in anyone right now. I'm hoping they will all stop missing from this point forward and will end up where they should be percentage-wise by the end of the season.

I’d expect Hughes and Battle to both be at least 80%. They miss a lot. Irritated me last night. Even Buddy hasn’t been automatic when he’s got there.

Agree totally. Those three need to step it up. No reason we shouldn't be very confident of making both when they go to the line.

I think this is fair. I also think Battle and OB get no calls. In Battle's case, an All American caliber player in the ACC, he gets no respect from officials. He lost his big time a couple games ago as a cumulative result, but otherwise just goes about his business and deserves calls as often as he's mauled.

It's definitely the latter. Nothing more infuriating then when we actually get to the line and Battle goes 1-2, Frank goes 0-2, Hughes misses the front end etc etc etc. As Moqui noted we were a pretty good FT shooting team last year especially by Syracuse standards, this year we have fallen off a cliff. Even Tyus has been sporadic. I have some faith that Tyus, Frank and Hughes could at least go 1-2 if were up late in the game and need a FT. Pascal has shown the ability as well. Oshae., Dolezaj and Sidibe are who you don't want at the line late in the game.

Whatever. I don't think we have a team that should be looking for contact. Oshae needs to worry about finishing inside not getting an and 1 opportunity. Same with the centers. Not to mention a guy like Marek can't hit free throws after being automatic last year.

Focusing on getting good shots vs getting to the line is a positive. I don't trust anyone on the team to make a crucial front end.

One thing I’ll give that 2016-2017 team was how good they shot from the line. Also from 3. And they do say those are often correlated.

Yeah, the shooting for that team was really, really good.
And Gillon was an ice cold assassin at FT's.

The D? Not so much...

OB isn't getting the calls this year on his drives because he is out of control and never finishes. I bet opposing coaches have ridden the stripes about bailing him out and rewarding out of control drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom