French Open | Syracusefan.com

French Open

Ooh la la!

Maybe. They (with Medvedev and Tsitsipas) both seem worthy successors to the “GOAT’s”….

Alcaraz has been very impressive on clay this year. Probably has a few Roland Garros Titles in his future.

We’ll find out in the semi’s.

Winner get’s either Joker or the “King of Clay.”

Ooh la la!

I don't follow tennis anymore so it's not surprising that I have not heard of either of these guys. But I do remember during the 60's, 70's and 80's when tennis was pretty much on par with golf for equal popularity in this country, or maybe even more popular. So many of the top players were Americans and they were so mainstream that they were on magazine covers. Everyone knew McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, Ashe, Chrissie Evert, Billie Jean King. Sampras was probably the last people would know of. People even knew all the top Aussies. I think people still know of Stan Smith because of his shoe. Although they might not connect it to tennis anymore but I think his shoe is still popular. Now, I guess, kids are playing golf or staying inside getting fat playing video games.

EDIT: the Stan Smith shoe is available now in 40 colors with a retail of $95. Not surprising considering I saw Keds advertised the other day for $60 and they used to be $6.

Last edited:
I don't follow tennis anymore so it's not surprising that I have not heard of either of these guys. But I do remember during the 60's, 70's and 80's when tennis was pretty much on par with golf for equal popularity in this country, or maybe even more popular. So many of the top players were Americans and they were so mainstream that they were on magazine covers. Everyone knew McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, Ashe, Chrissie Evert, Billie Jean King. Sampras was probably the last people would know of. People even knew all the top Aussies. I think people still know of Stan Smith because of his shoe. Although they might not connect it to tennis anymore but I think his shoe is still popular. Now, I guess, kids are playing golf or staying inside getting fat playing video games.

EDIT: the Stan Smith shoe is available now in 40 colors with a retail of $95. Not surprising considering I saw Keds advertised the other day for $60 and they used to be $6.
The American men have been mediocre for a while now. I think Andy Roddick was the last one to win a grand slam tournament in 2003. There are a few up and coming players but not sure they will ever be household names. The women have been doing much better but no one has reached Venus or Serena name credibility just yet.

As far as these two guys, Zverev has been a top 5 player for years but hasn’t been able to win one of the slams. Alcaraz just popped up in the US Open last year and has been putting on a really great show since. Saw him play in person and he’s the real deal. He’ll win a few majors before his career is over.

quite the match, Zverev wins if he could deal with late game serve pressure.. the Kid is pretty good. loves his drop shot in the clay..

Everywhere I look it says we should be able to watch this on the peacock app but nothing. Ladytroop is gonna lose it if she can't watch this Djokovic Nadal match.
How are you guys watching it?

i saw peacock as well. but i ended up on the tennis channel. won some nice change on zverev at +300 even if he cant serve out these big matches

i saw peacock as well. but i ended up on the tennis channel. won some nice change on zverev at +300 even if he cant serve out these big matches
Yea, peacock has every round except the quarters lol. Thanks for the tennis channel tip.

Nice hit!

That’s why he’s the “King of Clay….”
How the hell does Roland Garros seed Rafa 5th and set this match for the Quarters?
While Zverev looked good against Alcaraz earlier, it’s hard not to think Nadal is again the favorite to hoist the trophy for an insane 14th time.

That’s why he’s the “King of Clay….”
How the hell does Roland Garros seed Rafa 5th and set this match for the Quarters?
While Zverev looked good against Alcaraz earlier, it’s hard not to think Nadal is again the favorite to hoist the trophy for an insane 14th time.
In the past, all the majors used past results to determine seeding but they all go by the current rankings now. It’s unfortunate that he was ranked 5th as the 5th seed can draw any of the top 4 in the quarters. I expect Nadal to get by Zverev and while the other four guys are talented, the finalist from the bottom half isn’t going to be a huge name.

In the past, all the majors used past results to determine seeding but they all go by the current rankings now. It’s unfortunate that he was ranked 5th as the 5th seed can draw any of the top 4 in the quarters. I expect Nadal to get by Zverev and while the other four guys are talented, the finalist from the bottom half isn’t going to be a huge name.
I know the Slams dropped their independent seeding system(s) this year and adopted (wholly) the WTA rankings (again).

Think Tennis did this before in the 70’s and 80’s. That WTA formula/system didn’t always make sense in the past, though and was why the Slams adopted “other factors” to their tournament seedings. And perhaps most importantly, rankings don’t (necessarily) categorize the players from ”best to worst” most effectively. The rankings reflect activity (more so) and number of prelim tournaments the players play. That’s the WTA’s business model. WTA’s job is to grow the sport. Slams determine the elite in the sport.

I like Tennis because it is like my favorite sport (boxing) in this respect - Championships are all that matter. And the Slams are the Heavyweight Championships. The prelim tournaments are “sparring sessions” the best players use to prepare for the championship fights. Unless you win the belt in a championship fight, you’re not considered the “best” in the ring.

I follow tennis pretty closely. I watched the clay court tournaments, noticed Rafa’s foot was falling apart again after winning the Aussie hard court Championship, saw Alcaraz’ s play in Madrid, thought this might be his year in Paris. But as we saw, it wasn’t…. I like the young guys (Medvedev, Tsipi, Zverev, etc) and I use the “eye test” like everyone else to gauge who is playing the best, whose game is gauged for each surface, what matchup might bother another player, etc. Thought Cilic was poised for a nice tournament and he has thus far.

But Djokovic and Nadal are (still) the “Champions” of the sport. Nadal won the year’s 1st Slam (Joker defending champ banned). Joker defending champ at Paris. Nadal has only lost 3 matches at Paris in his career. They should have been seeded 1 and 2. Until someone else proves they can beat either of them at Roland Garros. No one else has for the last 15 yrs…..

That’s my opinion….

Iga Swiatek is playing out of her mind. 34 match winning streak, hasn’t lost since becoming ranked number 1 and is into the French Open final. The sad thing is most casual fans have zero idea who she is.

Iga Swiatek is playing out of her mind. 34 match winning streak, hasn’t lost since becoming ranked number 1 and is into the French Open final. The sad thing is most casual fans have zero idea who she is.
And playing an American (Gauff) in the final to defend her Championship.
Nice to see Coco make a Slam Final and “live up to the tennis media hype.” Probably her best chance for a Major; her game is geared for clay. Not the “forte” of most Americans who (mostly) grow up playing on hard surfaces.

Both Iga and Coco benefited from a favorable draw - allot of upsets (early) on the Women’s side. Take it when you can and beat those in front of you.

I too think Iga is good (really impressed with her unexpected run at Roland Garros last year), but (right now) women’s tennis is in a dip. Barty just retired and Osaka doesn’t seem motivated to play at elite level anymore. Muguruza never put enough consistency together over a season to live up to potential (even though she has two Slams). The finest talents (my eye) right now appear to be Swaitek and Raducanu. Emma needs to work on her clay technique though. Gauff and Fernandez have nice games as well. All young, think those 4 are ready to take the women’s game forward.

Iga has to be heavily favored for a repeat in the final, but Gauff is also playing well and has a chance…

Too bad what happened to Zverev. Was playing a fine match. Made Rafa really work.
Hopefully, he can heal that ankle in time for Wimbledon. A real threat there (to Joker - his best surface) with his big serve and volley style.

Rudd looked great. He’s hot and has an excellent clay court game. Broke Cilic mentally. He won’t have that advantage against Nadal….

Looking forward to the Final. Can’t believe these two have never played before. Adds some intrigue.

Hard to bet against the “King” though…..

Too bad what happened to Zverev. Was playing a fine match. Made Rafa really work.
Hopefully, he can heal that ankle in time for Wimbledon. A real threat there (to Joker - his best surface) with his big serve and volley style.

Rudd looked great. He’s hot and has an excellent clay court game. Broke Cilic mentally. He won’t have that advantage against Nadal….

Looking forward to the Final. Can’t believe these two have never played before. Adds some intrigue.

Ruud has been on the tour for five years now and ranked in the top 25 for a while. Pretty surprising him and Rafa haven’t played each other once. I definitely like Rafa here but Ruud could win a set. Playing in your first grand slam final is always overwhelming plus I heard Rafa was Ruud’s idol growing up. Going to be a roller coaster of emotions to get through before he settles down. Here’s to hoping for a good final.

Ugh I came downstairs midway through the 2nd set. Got a recap from the lady and immediately blocked out the next few hours of my calendar preparing for some epic tennis. 3 mins later he went down. Felt a little robbed, hope he's OK.

Underwhelming Women’s Final, but not surprisingly so.
Congrats to Iga - 2 Time French Champion.
And a heck of a winning streak - Serena/Stefi Graf/Martina level run post Melbourne.
She’s tops on clay right now.
We’ll see if she can win consistently on other surfaces and win Championships at other Slams.

Hail to the “King”…..
Not sure we’re ever gonna see sports dominance (again) like Nadal at the French.
Rudd has a nice game and future, but wasn’t ready for the GOAT at a Roland Garros Final.

NBC must be chapped - coulda had Rafa and Joker this AM (most likely) instead if the tournament had seeded correctly.
McEnroe had a “Freudian slip” during the commentary that I noticed (when discussing seeding) - “politics” at work in the game right now. ATP/WTA is trying to get fan interest in the “younger” players. Except Nadal and Joker keep winning the Slams…. I looked at the ATP projections post French and Nadal is only 3rd. Lol. He’s halfway to a Calendar Slam and just won his 22nd overall. He’s # 1 in the sport right now until someone beats him In a Championship Tournament. End of rant….

It will be interesting to see if Rafa plays Wimbledon. Grass prelims start in a few weeks. I doubt he enters - rest the foot for the US Open. Hope Roger comes back for a farewell in London. If I was a betting man, though, I’d wager that Joker wins Wimbledon (again). Even if he’s unseeded. There is some nice serve and volley young talent on the men’s side. But Joker has won the last three Wimbledon’s and is the defending champ. He’s # 1 at that venue until someone beats him there.

Could set up an epic US Open for the Grand Slam record. Joker playing to tie Nadal’s record 22. Nadal playing to extend his lead. Or maybe Medvedev, or Zverev or someone else breaks their strangle hold on the sport. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom