Freshman starters | Syracusefan.com

Freshman starters

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Surprised this wasn't mentioned in any of the postgame coverage, but Trimboli was our 1st True Freshman to start a game since Mullins & Wardwell in 2012. Even more impressive, he's our 1st True Frosh to start a game on the 1st midfield since Hardy & Perritt in 2006.

EDIT: As I was informed below, I completely forgot Mellen last year :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mellen started as a true freshman last year.
Ahh, I knew I was forgetting someone, how obvious :rolleyes:. Trimboli is actually not only our 1st True Frosh to start on 1st line middie since '06, he's our 1st to start on offense since Hardy, Perritt, & Nims '06. Nims started a single game at attack in '06 & is our last True Frosh to do so.

I would've thought being the 1st True Frosh offensive starter for SU in 11 years would be a bigger story or at least mentioned during/post game :noidea:

Surprised this wasn't mentioned in any of the postgame coverage, but Trimboli was our 1st True Freshman to start a game since Mullins & Wardwell in 2012. Even more impressive, he's our 1st True Frosh to start a game on the 1st midfield since Hardy & Perritt in 2006.

EDIT: As I was informed below, I completely forgot Mellen last year :rolleyes:

Trimboli was a very impressive player in high school and I thought he had a good chance to break through this year for some serious playing time. Also SU's lack of overall offensive depth has helped to get him first line minutes as SU has had to move Bomberry/Mariano to attack opening a spot that normally wouldn't have been there. With Mariano and Salcido on the 1st line with him Trimboli is going to have a chance to make a big impact down the stretch.

I'm a bit of a stats nerd so I just spent an embarrassing amount of time searching through box scores to confirm what I've been pondering all day. As I stated above, Trimboli is our first True Freshman offensive starter since 2006. Allow me to illustrate just how crazy that is:

Out of the 23 other teams in the ACC, B1G, Ivy League, & Big East, 21 have had a True Freshman start on offense at least once THIS season. The other 2, Hopkins & Marquette, each had a True Freshman offensive starter last year.

I'm not going to take this any further but I'd have to think that every other D1 team has had at least one, & likely multiple, during our 10 season drought.

I'm a bit of a stats nerd so I just spent an embarrassing amount of time searching through box scores to confirm what I've been pondering all day. As I stated above, Trimboli is our first True Freshman offensive starter since 2006. Allow me to illustrate just how crazy that is:

Out of the 23 other teams in the ACC, B1G, Ivy League, & Big East, 21 have had a True Freshman start on offense at least once THIS season. The other 2, Hopkins & Marquette, each had a True Freshman offensive starter last year.

I'm not going to take this any further but I'd have to think that every other D1 team has had at least one, & likely multiple, during our 10 season drought.
Get 'crootin

Can't sleep so I tried find the last SU True Frosh to score an OT game-winner. Cuse.com has season box scores/recaps back to 2002, none by TFrosh. Interesting that Mike Powell didn't have a single OT goal in his career. Stephen Keogh had 3, 2 of which were 8 days apart.

Went to the 145 page digital media guide & found nothing. Really would like to know who the last was, maybe one of the Gaits or Marachek? Who knows, maybe Trimboli is the 1st.

OR it shows just how rare it is to do it at SU...glass half full approach ;) We've had some pretty good offensive True Frosh since 2006. Marasco, Keogh
I agree. Keogh was unreal in his time here. I am only a college sophomore so I never watched the Gaits or Casey and Ryan Powell in my time. Keogh is probably the best goal scorer I can recall watching at Syracuse. Mike Leveille and Mike Powell(I don't remember him much) are up there, but because of my age he is probably the best pure goal scorer I've seen here. Loved his game, he was such a tough kid around the crease.

Can't sleep so I tried find the last SU True Frosh to score an OT game-winner. Cuse.com has season box scores/recaps back to 2002, none by TFrosh. Interesting that Mike Powell didn't have a single OT goal in his career. Stephen Keogh had 3, 2 of which were 8 days apart.

Went to the 145 page digital media guide & found nothing. Really would like to know who the last was, maybe one of the Gaits or Marachek? Who knows, maybe Trimboli is the 1st.

Its hard to get a lot of run as a True frosh at Syracuse. Normally someone is already entrenched or an upper classmen has been waiting their turn. Outside of the great Mike Powell himself I can't really think of another True Frosh who came in and saw a ton of PT. Dylan Donahue would actually be a good one but he red-shirted. You do have the Hardy/Perritt class where some of those guys did play as True frosh but even then guys like Yevoli, Bucktooth etc were ahead of them.

Do we really need 55 guys on the team every year?

Less players = less redshirts = less angry freshmen transfers?

Do we really need 55 guys on the team every year?

Less players = less redshirts = less angry freshmen transfers?

SU has always had a large roster, and while I agree 55 seems like a lot most of those guys are getting little to nothing in the way of scholarship money so if they want to be on the team despite lack of scholarship money and PT, I say more power to them. It at least allows us to have plenty of practice/scout team guys. The long pole depth this team has this year has been a huge benefit. Losing Mellen and Kennedy for the year would cripple a lot of teams, we have barely missed a beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom