Friday Afternoon Trivia | Syracusefan.com

Friday Afternoon Trivia

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
There are 18 schools that we have played at least once, but never beaten...

Question 1 - 5 of the opponents come from BCS Conferences, can you name the 5 schools?

Hint 1 - we've played all five of the teams (not necessarily all of our games against them) in the post season.

Hint 2 - we've lost to all 5 programs during the JB era.

Question 2 - We reduced the 18 to 16 this season, which two opponents did we beat for the first time this season?

I'll take the 2nd part first, because I know that Marshall is one of them, I remember reading in the pregame story that we were 0-1 all time leading into that game.

For question 1, I think one of them is Arkansas. I think the Moten T.O. game is the only time we've ever played. I'm a blank on the other 4.

I'll take the 2nd part first, because I know that Marshall is one of them, I remember reading in the pregame story that we were 0-1 all time leading into that game.

For question 1, I think one of them is Arkansas. I think the Moten T.O. game is the only time we've ever played. I'm a blank on the other 4.

You're not even going to attempt a complete answer on the 2nd question?

You're not even going to attempt a complete answer on the 2nd question?
I can't think of it off the top of my head, and I don't want to look it up just yet (giving others a chance to weigh in)

Question #1: I'm sure LSU is one of them, and I think Texas A&M is another.

I can't think of it off the top of my head, and I don't want to look it up just yet (giving others a chance to weigh in)

Fair enough.

LSU is not one of the teams, nor is Stanford. While we may have gotten our first ever win against Stanford this year, I don't believe we had played them previously.

There are 18 schools that we have played at least once, but never beaten...

Question 1 - 5 of the opponents come from BCS Conferences, can you name the 5 schools?

Hint 1 - we've played all five of the teams (not necessarily all of our games against them) in the post season.

Hint 2 - we've lost to all 5 programs during the JB era.

Question 2 - We reduced the 18 to 16 this season, which two opponents did we beat for the first time this season?
#1 - Arkansas, Illinois, TAMU, Kentucky, UCLA
#2 - Marshall and GWU (or Tulane)

Texas A&M. Arkansas is sure one (1995). Tulsa (1981 NIT)? Clemson (2007 NIT). How about Cleveland State? I think the "miracle shot" was the only we played them. I also think I remember reading that we had not beaten E Michigan before this year.

Arkansas is sure one (1995). Tulsa (1981 NIT)? Clemson (2007 NIT). How about Cleveland State? I think the "miracle shot" was the only we played them. I also think I remember reading that we had not beaten E Michigan before this year.

Moqui and CTO combine to get the 2nd question. Prior to this season we had not beaten Marshall or Eastern Michigan.

CTO while you are correct that Tulsa and Cleveland State are among the 18 they are not among the 5 from BCS conferences...unless the Big East has been extending more invitations. Tulsa was also a post season loss. Strangely enough that makes JB and SU victory less against Nolan Richardson as he coached both that Tulsa team that beat us in the 1981 NIT Championship and the 1995 Arkansas team that we should have beaten but for the Moten time out.

So if I am keeping track properly

Moqui contributed Arkansas (1995 NCAAT)
OttoMets contributed TAMU (2006 NCAAT)
CTO contributed Clemson (2007 NIT)
OrangeXtreme contributed Iowa (1980 NCAAT)

One still hanging out there.

Minnesota. I can't recall playing them besides the horrible tournament game in DC's senior year.

That's it Minnesota (1990 NCAAT)

I originally said it was a total of 18 teams, but miscounted it was only 17 going into this season. The full list thanks to www.orangehoops.org

Arkansas (0-1)
Austin Peay (0-1)
Baldwin Wallace (0-1)
Clemson (0-2)
Cleveland State (0-1)
Denison (0-1)
Denver (0-1)
East Liverpool (0-1)
Eastern Michigan (corrected this year) (1-1)
Iowa (0-2)
Marshall (corrected this year) (1-1)
Minnesota (0-1)
Oral Roberts (0-1)
Schenectady (0-2)
Texas A & M (0-1)
Tulsa (0-1)
Williston Seminary (0-1)

Williston and Schenectady are on Cincinnati's basketball and Rutgers' football schedule next year. Long live the Big East!

Texas Tech we blasted in MSG while Knight was coaching them. One of the very few games I have been at in the past 20 years.

I don't see us evening up the score with East Liverpool anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom