Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for my friend OE, who is undergoing major surgery today. If you have time, please say a prayer for him. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

15240810-mmmain.jpg

Thanks Duke

Syracuse Leads Nation in Attendance for First Time Since 2005 (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University led all of college basketball in attendance during the 2013-14 season, according to official figures just released by the NCAA.

Syracuse averaged 26,253 fans to its 18 home games at the Carrier Dome this past season. That figure easily out-paced Kentucky, which averaged 22,964 fans for its home games in 2013-14.

Syracuse last led the nation in attendance in the 2004-05 season. This is the 13th time that Syracuse has won the NCAA's attedance crown. Syracuse won 11 straight from 1985 to 1995.

In its first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Syracuse experienced a huge increase in its home attendance. Syracuse averaged 22,439 fans during the 2012-13 season, which was its last as a member of the Big East.

-debd4c8b31347529.JPG

JB on 2014-15: 'We're Going to Try to Push It More' (PS; Ditota)

The fast break.

Syracuse basketball fans speak of that vanished breed of basketball with a nostalgic mixture of reverence and hope.

Last season, SU ranked 234th nationally in Ken Pomeroy's advanced statisticsthat target pace of offensive play. The Orange's 18.5 seconds per possession was slower than the national average of 18 seconds flat.

SU might never return to the transition-happy late 1980s and 90s, when the Orange exhausted opponents with end-to-end action. Syracuse's 1988-89 team, led by Sherman Douglas at the point and augmented by Stephen Thompson, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens and Matt Roe, scored nearly 88 points per game.

The last team to effectively push the tempo in the 2000s was the 2009-10 squad with Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson providing the rebounding and outlet passes, Wes Johnson and Kris Joseph flying on the wings, Andy Rautins firing 3-point shots on the move and Brandon Triche and Scoop Jardine leading the break.

15243827-mmmain.jpg

ESPN Analyst Compares JG to Kawhi Leonard (PS; Carlson)

Much of the conversation about Jerami Grant as the NBA Draft approaches hasn't been particularly positive.

Mock drafts that once had him going in the middle of the first round now have himgoing late or even falling out of it entirely. His head coach, Jim Boeheim, suggested that Grant could have used another year of college development.

Finally, on Wednesday, Grant was the subject of a complimentary piece and, at least these days, about as nice a comparison as an NBA draft entrant could want.

ESPN analyst David Thorpe compared Grant to San Antonio's Kawhi Leonard in an ESPN Insider article.

"The son and nephew of former NBA stars Harvey and Horace Grant, respectively, Jerami earns high marks for character and makeup. He also has many similarities to (Kawhi Leonard)," Thorpe wrote. "Grant, though, looks more athletic than Leonard. And if his work ethic is strong and he goes to a team that allows him to figure things out after mistakes, Grant is the closest thing to Leonard in the 2014 draft."

dajuan-coleman-on-buffalo-training-tablejpg-97703e6f86ac6397.jpg

JB Provides Update on Condition of DC2 (PS; Ditota)

As his Syracuse basketball teammates lift weights, engage in summer yoga sessions and work on their shooting strokes, Dajuan Coleman continues to rehabilitate his healing leg.

Coleman, Syracuse's 6-foot-9 big man out of Jamesville-DeWitt High School, had surgery last winter to repair an undisclosed ailment in or around his knee. Coleman injured the leg during a collision with a teammate at practice.

SU coach Jim Boeheim said he and his staff won't know much of anything about Coleman's condition or his ability to play in 2014-15 until "September or October for sure."

"He's doing his workouts every day. He's walking. We hope to have him doing something in July," Boeheim said. "But I don't anticipate him running until August, maybe even possibly September. And then it will be, 'Is it going to hold up?' He might be running, he might be all right, but is it going to hold up? We just don't know."

-c6df5dcedc387f0d.JPG

JB Ranked #12 Coach by ESPN (PS; Waters)

A panel of ESPN writers have placed Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim at No. 12 in its ranking of the top college basketball coaches in the game today.

Boeheim, who is second on the NCAA's all-time wins list, falls in line just ahead of Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg at No. 15, Virginia's Tony Bennett at No. 14, and Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart at No. 13.

The ESPN rankings are not designed to be a judgment of a coach's entire career. The criteria is more of a current summation of the game's top coaches.

For the past week, Syracuse fans have been encouraged to vote on where they thought Boeheim should be ranked.

That said, ESPN writer Eamonn Brennan took up most of the article on Boeheim, arguing on behalf of the Hall of Fame coach. He writes:

"A larger view of the man's past six seasons makes it hard to overlook the successes. In six years, Syracuse has never been lower than a No. 4 seed (which they were last season). They've been a No. 3-seed three times. They've been seeded No. 1 twice. They won two regular-season Big East titles (2009-10, 2011-12).''

If this team can rebound it'll run. I'd love to see more steals and that too would add to easier points and quicker scoring. I'm hoping depth isn't a problem and Boeheim will take the reins off as he tends to want to shorten the game when he only has 5 guys that he counts on. I know he usually only goes 6.5 to 7 deep and I'm hoping that this team will be athletic enough to be able to get some easy points.

I LOVED seeing an article that they plan put more of an emphasis on running this year. Oddly, before I'd read this I'd written a bit about that memorable Loyola Marymount team, which made me miss our break even more than usual. With a lack of players who have both experience and talent at this level, it would make sense to take advantage of some of those easy points we couldn't seem to visualize last year. I agree with SmilingBob that some steals would really catylze things, and hopefully JB can find some hidden strengths in this group to capitalize on. LGO!