Friday night games do not suck BTW, we need more regardless | Syracusefan.com

Friday night games do not suck BTW, we need more regardless

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
of outcome, they work as Syracuse people like to drink and its easier on a friday night for in town people, I dont think WVY travelled as well though

of outcome, they work as Syracuse people like to drink and its easier on a friday night for in town people, I dont think WVY travelled as well though

I LOVE Friday night games. We were all over Sportscenter last night. For me, the only thing better than a Friday night ESPN game would be a nationally televised 3:30 or primetime game.

Glad to see you're alive BTW. Agree on friday games, working on almost no sleep and loving it. :) :D:):D:cool::cool:

I definitely think Friday night games are gaining prestige. Great way to kick off a weekend too.

If we could play our entire home schedule on Friday Nights I would sign up for it! I know that's unrealistic, but no less than 2 home games a year should be on Friday nights. And if we could get a 3rd go for it!

People like it and the turnouts and response has been great to it.

I LOVE Friday night games. We were all over Sportscenter last night. For me, the only thing better than a Friday night ESPN game would be a nationally televised 3:30 or primetime game.

This game was on bars all over the USA...tons of FB fans just discovered we made the next jump up to second tier...we are now solidly in that #15-35 group of decent solid teams worthy of respect.

If we could play our entire home schedule on Friday Nights I would sign up for it! I know that's unrealistic, but no less than 2 home games a year should be on Friday nights. And if we could get a 3rd go for it!

No question about the turnout, the town likes "events", last night felt like an event.

CNYers love events...I bet alot of the 20 somethings (who missed it) actually wished they were at the game last night as it was the event. If we keep winning the USF game should be very close to a sellout.

I think a Friday night game is better than 3:30/primetime game.We had next to no competition with other games and like you said,we are all over Sportscenter and the like and will be until this afternoons games.Great!GREAT!!exposure for the program.

CNYers love events...I bet alot of the 20 somethings (who missed it) actually wished they were at the game last night as it was the event. If we keep winning the USF game should be very close to a sellout.

Fantastic point- my wife (not a football fan) plus two guests were at last night's game- because it was exactly that. An event. They were already asking about South Florida during the post game tailgate...

Know your fanbase and market to them. The Thurs/Fri thing so far has been a huge success, roll with it. Don't tinker with a thing.

If we c

I concur. IF, and its a huge IF, we can win the next two roadies, that USF game is going to be ginormously huge. The scene at the bars etc beforehand was off the charts good last night. God how I missed charged-up Dome crowds. Last night was FUN.

Seemed like there were a ton of kids at the game last night ages 6-14. I'm not sure if that was because of parents weekend or if it was locals, but it was good to see.

As an out-of-town fan the weeknight games are tough or impossible to get to, but if they can get attendance and crowd support like last night it's a no-brainer to keep doing them.

There were 16 Section III Football playoff games last night.

Probably cost us a shot at 47,000.

Gotta be 8 PM starts, though. MUCH better than 7PM starts for hoops. That extra hour makes all the difference in the crowd.

This game was on bars all over the USA...tons of FB fans just discovered we made the next jump up to second tier...we are now solidly in that #15-35 group of decent solid teams worthy of respect.
if we pulled out that W against Rutgers, we would be ranked in the top 25 monday.

I have been saying this for 10 yr's. If we are not going to get a 3:30 slot or an 8 pm broadcast spot on Saturday, we should try to play fri or even thurs. so much more publicity.

I can say that is a definite negative. My wife (who works at the Sheraton) had a WV host a tailgate there. Last time they did it had 150+; this year expected 80 (had more like 65 attend). Reason given -- Friday game and prices were jacked up for Parent's weekend.

Gotta be 8 PM starts, though. MUCH better than 7PM starts for hoops. That extra hour makes all the difference in the crowd.
i agree, the crowd was lively and the beer lines were long. :)

if we pulled out that W against Rutgers, we would be ranked in the top 25 monday.

True - but if you play that card, you also have to acknowledge the fact that we escaped/survived the Wake and Toledo games. We've had more good fortune this year than bad fortune.

Seemed like there were a ton of kids at the game last night ages 6-14. I'm not sure if that was because of parents weekend or if it was locals, but it was good to see.

As an out-of-town fan the weeknight games are tough or impossible to get to, but if they can get attendance and crowd support like last night it's a no-brainer to keep doing them.

Agreed. That was just a special crowd treated to a special night. Wish I could have been there. But it looked great on TV.

Cheers,
Neil

True - but if you play that card, you also have to acknowledge the fact that we escaped/survived the Wake and Toledo games. We've had more good fortune this year than bad fortune.
ok sure

The 8pm start gives people time to go home after work, change, and get ready to go out for the night. At 7pm like hoops people pretty much go straight from work to the game