Friday Night Shallow Dive: Are 3 point shot causing SU to give up Off Rebounds? | Syracusefan.com

Friday Night Shallow Dive: Are 3 point shot causing SU to give up Off Rebounds?

Cusefannotindc

2nd String
A common complaint that comes on this board is that the nature of the zone, forcing teams to take lots of 3s means the can scoop up long offensive rebounds.

At least when it came to last year's team, the answer is no. Using the play by play database from last season I built, I was able to track who got the rebound off each type of shot taken.

3 point shot - 28% Offensive Rebound Rate
2 point jumper - 35%
At the rim - 51%

My theory, ATR shots will given have an opposing player right there at the basket and the shots are likely to stay right at the basket. Most 3s come from the top portion of the arc and most players are in their natural zone positions. On the two point jumpers they will have longer rebounds, but also likely draw one of the back line players out of their natural position in the zone.

I am always looking for suggestions of things to test with my play by play database. I plan on going through some stuff from last season that interests me, and work with this season as it happens. Looking for a way to get into the shot chart data too.