Friendly Reminder… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Friendly Reminder…

Did you see the one hoping Judah gets embarrassed at his next stop. Not exactly an outlier.
No, I stopped reading posts from that thread because some were getting pretty close to the line (or perhaps crossing the line). I don't like that kind of garbage on this board. That said, I have seen little of that and do believe it's an outlier. I do agree that posts regarding Judah have gotten more dicey than others, largely because of his antics on the court and grandpa but still, we shouldn't get that personal (and flat out mean).

That the players on our teams view this board and see all the things that are said here.

So as evidenced by the Kyle Cuffe thread.. whatever we say, they see.

And I know many are unhinged and don’t care and will never change…but for those of you who have a conscious and actually care about our teams.. the least we can do as a fan base, is be respectful and supportive of our players / coaches, who recruited them into the program and see things through, until their time with us ends.

Yes it doesn’t always work out on the court, but sometimes players just need seasoning and development before they blossom into who they will become….and end of day most of them are working hard on their crafts, while also in class and they are doing so representing us. So at least we can try to be as considerate as possible, when posting something potentially cruel or undermining here.

Imo the entitlement here borders on gross sometimes and overall reflects on us as a whole.

Anyway let’s try to do our part as fans and give our guys as many reasons to come here, stay here and want to remain here, as possible and really stand on that business.

GO
I used to agree with you 1000%. I no longer do.

When someone is getting paid 6 figures to play basketball, that individual is effectively a professional no matter how you try to disguise the payment.

That the players on our teams view this board and see all the things that are said here.

So as evidenced by the Kyle Cuffe thread.. whatever we say, they see.

And I know many are unhinged and don’t care and will never change…but for those of you who have a conscious and actually care about our teams.. the least we can do as a fan base, is be respectful and supportive of our players / coaches, who recruited them into the program and see things through, until their time with us ends.

Yes it doesn’t always work out on the court, but sometimes players just need seasoning and development before they blossom into who they will become….and end of day most of them are working hard on their crafts, while also in class and they are doing so representing us. So at least we can try to be as considerate as possible, when posting something potentially cruel or undermining here.

Imo the entitlement here borders on gross sometimes and overall reflects on us as a whole.

Anyway let’s try to do our part as fans and give our guys as many reasons to come here, stay here and want to remain here, as possible and really stand on that business.

GO
Windyfly, I'm sure you're a nice guy and are well-intentioned, but I'm not a huge fan of this post.

A few thoughts...

1. When you sign up to play big-time college sports, there are a ton of benefits, e.g. fans and girls fawning over you, playing on national TV, packed arenas cheering for you, finally an opportunity to cash in via NIL, free tuition, etc. The downside is if you aren't playing well, people will criticize your play on message boards. You can't have one without the other. You can't expect fans to invest lots of time and money in something and not be critical if it's not going well. As long as the criticism isn't trolling, or racial, or unnecessarily mean, it's fair game. The mods here do an excellent job striking that balance. There is a reason that this board has been the best place to talk SU sports online for a quarter century.

2. It is a terrible idea for players or family members of players to read their team's message board. Full stop. Nothing good will come from it. If you're friends with any of the players, that would be very helpful life advice for them.

3. You started out by saying "so as evidenced by the Kyle Cuffe thread" but then you backtracked and said "Not saying anything was wrong with the thread." Which is it?

4. Everyone here has a conscience and cares about Syracuse sports, to suggest otherwise was petty on your part.

5. Unless SU athletes become a menace to society like Deshaun Williams, I personally think this board gives them a ton of respect and support. For example, we were all frustrated with Justin Taylor and Peter Carey's play this year, and in their transfer threads they received endless amounts of positive sentiment wishing them the best in basketball and in life.

Windyfly, I'm sure you're a nice guy and are well-intentioned, but I'm not a huge fan of this post.

A few thoughts...

1. When you sign up to play big-time college sports, there are a ton of benefits, e.g. fans and girls fawning over you, playing on national TV, packed arenas cheering for you, finally an opportunity to cash in via NIL, free tuition, etc. The downside is if you aren't playing well, people will criticize your play on message boards. You can't have one without the other. You can't expect fans to invest lots of time and money in something and not be critical if it's not going well. As long as the criticism isn't trolling, or racial, or unnecessarily mean, it's fair game. The mods here do an excellent job striking that balance. There is a reason that this board has been the best place to talk SU sports online for a quarter century.

2. It is a terrible idea for players or family members of players to read their team's message board. Full stop. Nothing good will come from it. If you're friends with any of the players, that would be very helpful life advice for them.

3. You started out by saying "so as evidenced by the Kyle Cuffe thread" but then you backtracked and said "Not saying anything was wrong with the thread." Which is it?

4. Everyone here has a conscience and cares about Syracuse sports, to suggest otherwise was petty on your part.

5. Unless SU athletes become a menace to society like Deshaun Williams, I personally think this board gives them a ton of respect and support. For example, we were all frustrated with Justin Taylor and Peter Carey's play this year, and in their transfer threads they received endless amounts of positive sentiment wishing them the best in basketball and in life.
And with players like Justin the majority of people on this board were very upset with his being booed by the Students.

This board is moderated pretty well and unfairly negative takes on players are either self-policed or policed by the mods if things start going off the rails. I haven’t seen a problem that needs to be addressed here.

I’ve also always assumed staff and players read some of what is posted. Not all of them, but for sure some of them. It would be odd if they didn’t.
We know for sure the writers for the sub standard read this board for inspiration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom