From My Perspective | Syracusefan.com

From My Perspective

Orijinal

All Conference
I'm just as frustrated as everyone else ...perhaps more so because I actually know this team is good but it fails to show up on the scoreboard. Most people on here seem to just look at a final score and decide that Marrone and Syracuse sucks.

If Syracuse turns the ball over only 3 times, they probably would have at least come close to winning that game--and I'm talking with 3 turnovers!

The team loses to Northwestern by a point (and with help from the refs) because of poor punt coverage (which has since been corrected) Syracuse outplays that team in just about every other way.

The team loses to USC by 13, and had a chance for a go ahead score in the 4th quarter.

The team loses to Minnesota by 7 (Syracuse's worst performance of the season, and still had a chance to tie the game late)

The team loses to Rutgers by 8, and completely outplays them except for turnovers and redzone performance. Also had the ball with a chance to tie late in the game.

No way should we be talking about getting rid of Marrone now. NO FREAKIN' WAY.

Not when:

The offense is outgaining just about every team it has played thus far (and notice where each of those teams rank in total defense as of Monday, October 15th). Someone posted those rankings in another thread. Needless to say, the defenses are GOOD, especially Rutgers and Minny. Oh, Syracuse still puts up 418 yards on Ruttys.

The defense is playing LIGHTS OUT. I don't care what anyone says. If they say anything different, they are lying, delusional, or have no idea what football is.

This team reminds me a lot of the New York Giants just before they became what they are now. playing close games, gaining a lot of yards, but just not quite able to punch it in from close. I'm not saying Syracuse is the NYG (NYG never had the turnovers that Syracuse has had but did struggle with penalties under the first few years of Coughlin), but Syrcause looks about ready to burst for some points.

THIS TEAM IS THAT CLOSE!!!

All the major things are in place with this team. An offense able to move the ball? Check. A defense that does not break? Check. Recruiting? Check. Depth? Check

Turnovers? Horrible. Red Zone? Horrible. Penalties? Bad, but improving. Special teams? Kickoff and punt coverage have been outstanding the last 2 games. Punt return needs a lot of work, but it's not losing games for Syracuse. Place-kicking has become an issue.

Guess what? Syracuse holds onto the football, it wins. Heck, even if they SLIGHTLY LOSE the turnover battle, it wins. Syracuse gains the last 10-15 yards in the red zone, it wins.

This team has, overall, outplayed it's opponents. No team has beaten it. Syracuse has CLEARLY beaten themselves. And yet people are calling for Marrone's head just before this team is about go over the top? What the ...????

Look, the fact of the matter is that the Marrone apologists are running out of excuses.

You know, I wrote a very similar type post earlier but deleted it because I realize I am in the minority here and it would be trashed. But since you posted it, I'll comment. I like to take a step back and look at the program and where it was 5 years ago and where it is now. In the last 5 years, we have gone from a team that could not get a first down and not stop anyone to a team that has the talent to compete. We are outplaying our opponents, just not winning. We are losing because we are shooting ourselves in the foot. But by no means are these flaws not correctible. If we fix these, even just a couple plays here and there, we are 4-2 and possibly 5-1 and probably ranked. So a couple plays here and there mean the difference between firing Marrone and giving him an extension? Relax everyone. I'm as frustrated as you are but in the big picture...we are light years ahead of where we were and we are headed in the right direction for sure. Worst thing we can do as fans is to help tear the program down which will hurt recruiting and the results on the field. Just my two cents.

Look, the fact of the matter is that the Marrone apologists are running out of excuses.

It's a matter of perspective. I can see it either way - but it's soooo far from both the Grob and Coach P situations.

My 2 cents? The detractors are so tired of losing they're becoming increasingly unable to see anything positive - and there are many signs that point to a major turning point.

I agree and decided to not post because it is looking like we are in a small minority. I see a lot of progress over last year's team. With this year's team, we know our offense can make plays and move the ball down the field quickly late in the game. Maybe not every time, but at least we have a lot of confidence that it can happen. Our defense really has stepped up the past two weeks and is looking comparable to two years ago.

We can't forget, the other coaching options we were looking at when Marrone was hired are not fairing well at all. Making a coaching change now would likely set us back and I still see progress on the field with Marrone. No apologist here, if he is not the guy, then he needs to go. I have seen enough progress to believe he is the guy and he still needs more time.

It's a matter of perspective. I can see it either way - but it's soooo far from both the Grob and Coach P situations.

My 2 cents? The detractors are so tired of losing they're becoming increasingly unable to see anything positive - and there are many signs that point to a major turning point.

Will any of those signs get us to a bowl game this year if we get less than six wins? Will any of those signs make these games any less unbearable to watch? Losing is losing...doesn't matter which coach you attach to the season. If Marrone wasn't an alum all of the apologists would be on the bandwagon to run him out on a rail.

I really like your optimism and have felt the same, but there is ample room for debate about the performance of the team and coaching. All teams will always have What losses, but we've lost too many that we should have won to attribute all of the losses to random occurrence. Winning will improve recruiting which will improve winning, etc. so it's frustrating when this is a year that SU could attract good talent if we could get to a bowl.

If the general trend of losing continues, it will become a lost opportunity to become more attractive to good athletes that want to win. If we want better talent and better coaching, we need wins and badly. The coaching is always easier and better when we win. We may be close, but we aren't winning enough to substantiate that the team is more successful in a public way. Only fans look for moral victories. The rest of the world looks at the W-L record.

You know, I wrote a very similar type post earlier but deleted it because I realize I am in the minority here and it would be trashed. But since you posted it, I'll comment. I like to take a step back and look at the program and where it was 5 years ago and where it is now. In the last 5 years, we have gone from a team that could not get a first down and not stop anyone to a team that has the talent to compete. We are outplaying our opponents, just not winning. We are losing because we are shooting ourselves in the foot. But by no means are these flaws not correctible. If we fix these, even just a couple plays here and there, we are 4-2 and possibly 5-1 and probably ranked. So a couple plays here and there mean the difference between firing Marrone and giving him an extension? Relax everyone. I'm as frustrated as you are but in the big picture...we are light years ahead of where we were and we are headed in the right direction for sure. Worst thing we can do as fans is to help tear the program down which will hurt recruiting and the results on the field. Just my two cents.

I think a significant issue with the overall frustration factor is the repeated same blunders, over & over again. You can argue that these flaws are correctable, certainly they should be, but it's year four and the pattern is nothing new. I don't know why, maybe Marrone's approach just has these kids too uptight, on pins & needles sort of speak? Paying too much attention (the turnovers) has obviously been counter productive. It's not like these kids just started playing ball, ball security is a basic fundamental of the game.

Somehow, Marrone needs to get the guys to execute without all the added pressure. Just go out and play, relax, etc. One thing for certain, when you're physically uptight, too tense, etc., you can not perform at your peak, it bleeds into you mentally. Just ask any batter who has played the game, a golfer, etc. Of course, this is easier said than done.

If Marrone wasn't an alum all of the apologists would be on the bandwagon to run him out on a rail.

Guilty. I would absolutely say that my patience has been extended because he's an alum. What can I say? I want the guy to succeed because of it. And I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that.

The fact that we're competing and not taking these wins makes it that much more frustrating, which I think what most are reacting to. The mindset could be..."With the talent on this team, perhaps another coach could get this team to where Marrone's gotten them AND eliminate the mistakes." I can't say I blame anyone for reacting that way.

I have been a "Be patient with Marrone" guy for a while now, and I think he should be commended for bringing us back from the depths. However, with the decent talent on this team and the level of opponents we've played so far, the way we're losing is absolutely maddening. Mistakes suck, and to see a handful of bad plays determine the overall outcome of the game is brutal. I'm fighting the urge to overreact, and if Marrone wasn't an alum, I'd probably be saying he wasn't the guy, but he is so I'll stick with him (for now). All that being said, the rest of this season is huge for him. If this team continues to make terrible mistakes/turnovers/penalties, but play at a competitive level, then I'm really going to question whether he can get through to these players, and if this is going to be a consistent theme for a Marrone-coached team, then I may be ready to turn the page. We'll see how it goes, but I really hope he pulls it off.

Are we a well coached team?

Are we fundamentally sound?

Are we disciplined?

Do we have young play makers on either side of the ball?

How many points has the O produced the last 3 games? And have they not struggled for 4 straight?

Hasn't most of our yardage come after falling behind by 2 scores? NW (trailed by 22), USC (18), Minny (14), RU (16).

The D has not been able to produce a consistent pass rush. Will that be a problem facing teams that aren't so run heavy like the last 4 have been?

Has the STs not had a major gaffe every game?

When we were beating teams like ND, K St, Wake, NW, WV, Louisville, USF, Cincy, Pitt, Rutgers, UConn all in the recent past why is it ok now to be close to winning against NW, Minny, and RU?

Is 1-9 not an issue?

If the Queen had balls what would she be?

I'm just as frustrated as everyone else ...perhaps more so because I actually know this team is good but it fails to show up on the scoreboard. Most people on here seem to just look at a final score and decide that Marrone and Syracuse sucks.

If Syracuse turns the ball over only 3 times, they probably would have at least come close to winning that game--and I'm talking with 3 turnovers!

The team loses to Northwestern by a point (and with help from the refs) because of poor punt coverage (which has since been corrected) Syracuse outplays that team in just about every other way.

The team loses to USC by 13, and had a chance for a go ahead score in the 4th quarter.

The team loses to Minnesota by 7 (Syracuse's worst performance of the season, and still had a chance to tie the game late)

The team loses to Rutgers by 8, and completely outplays them except for turnovers and redzone performance. Also had the ball with a chance to tie late in the game.

No way should we be talking about getting rid of Marrone now. NO FREAKIN' WAY.

Not when:

The offense is outgaining just about every team it has played thus far (and notice where each of those teams rank in total defense as of Monday, October 15th). Someone posted those rankings in another thread. Needless to say, the defenses are GOOD, especially Rutgers and Minny. Oh, Syracuse still puts up 418 yards on Ruttys.

The defense is playing LIGHTS OUT. I don't care what anyone says. If they say anything different, they are lying, delusional, or have no idea what football is.

This team reminds me a lot of the New York Giants just before they became what they are now. playing close games, gaining a lot of yards, but just not quite able to punch it in from close. I'm not saying Syracuse is the NYG (NYG never had the turnovers that Syracuse has had but did struggle with penalties under the first few years of Coughlin), but Syrcause looks about ready to burst for some points.

THIS TEAM IS THAT CLOSE!!!

All the major things are in place with this team. An offense able to move the ball? Check. A defense that does not break? Check. Recruiting? Check. Depth? Check

Turnovers? Horrible. Red Zone? Horrible. Penalties? Bad, but improving. Special teams? Kickoff and punt coverage have been outstanding the last 2 games. Punt return needs a lot of work, but it's not losing games for Syracuse. Place-kicking has become an issue.

Guess what? Syracuse holds onto the football, it wins. Heck, even if they SLIGHTLY LOSE the turnover battle, it wins. Syracuse gains the last 10-15 yards in the red zone, it wins.

This team has, overall, outplayed it's opponents. No team has beaten it. Syracuse has CLEARLY beaten themselves. And yet people are calling for Marrone's head just before this team is about go over the top? What the ...????

Good job.

Recruiting is better, but it's not where it needs to be. My guess there are kids on the scout team and in this years class that will bump that up.

I think the depth is better because there isn't a huge fall off between the 1's and 2's and the roster is better 1-85, but there aren't any obvious impact players.

The defense has kept us in games;
The offense (after the hot start) is middling at best and below average in the red zone (lack of OL push; lack of a WR who can get separation and make plays on the ball in the end zone).

ST -- but here is the real problem. We get absolutely no positive plays with STs (kick blocks, runbacks, fumbles caused); and give up too much. Against Rutgers, it was obvious going in that Rutgers blocks a lot of kicks and wins on turn-overs. And yet . . . .

So, why are we so bad on STs every year of the DM era? Some of it has to be talent, but a bigger part may be the HC's priorities. And that needs to change.

I also believe that there's room for debate. No doubt there are problems that need to be corrected. I'm happy to see that there are some Marrone supporters who have the backbone to post in the face of overwhelming negativity.

I like Marrone. I think he is learning on the job, not something thats necessarily a positive. We'd all like it if he came in and turned out to be Vince Lombardi right from the start. We all would like more wins.

Too many cheap shots at him. Taking over a program that was one of the worst in the country for a variety of reasons it's not easy to turn that mess around quickly.

Americans are noted for their lack of patience. I want my McMansion, how about an SUV, a big screen TV, the place on the lake? Honey, don't answer the phone it might be the mortgage company or the credit card collection agency.

This was going to be a tough rebuilding job. Not something that could be done overnight, unless some serious corners were cut. I think Marrone is trying to do it the right way. Will he succeed? I don't know, but I like what I've seen so far.

I hope they renew his contract.

Will any of those signs get us to a bowl game this year if we get less than six wins? Will any of those signs make these games any less unbearable to watch? Losing is losing...doesn't matter which coach you attach to the season. If Marrone wasn't an alum all of the apologists would be on the bandwagon to run him out on a rail.

Umm, no. I'm not defending Marrone because he's an alum. I'm not an alum. I'm defending Marrone for all the reasons I gave above.

Good post Original! After calming down post that frustrating loss, I do feel like we're still so much better than we were 4-5 years ago. The Defense looks great. Special teams coverage issues seem fixed, but clearly we have ST issues still. The offense is moving the ball except for the red zone.

We are also playing good teams that are going bowling and hanging with them. Should be beating most of them except for the horrific turnovers. Solve that and that helps solve our red zone issues too.

Having said this - we really need to beat UConn this week. Can't afford another demoralizing loss.

Go Orange!

Thank God you are not making the decisions on the hill.

Try this one. You are now recruiting a player who will upgrade the overall talent base. He tells you, "But your facilities look small and dingy compared to everything else I have seen, and for the game I went to, the crowd was tiny and boring." So go ahead, Mr. "No Excuses." Tell me how you persuade him. And no apologies.

I really want to know. Because if you can't do this one thing, you are going to need a lot of "apologists" to keep your job.

Thank God you are not making the decisions on the hill.

Try this one. You are now recruiting a player who will upgrade the overall talent base. He tells you, "But your facilities look small and dingy compared to everything else I have seen, and for the game I went to, the crowd was tiny and boring." So go ahead, Mr. "No Excuses." Tell me how you persuade him. And no apologies.

I really want to know. Because if you can't do this one thing, you are going to need a lot of "apologists" to keep your job.
You're absolutely right. You are going to need a lot of "apologists" to keep your job.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm looking for no more than one turnover this Friday, every place kick at least getting in the air, and at least 28 points on the board. Get that done and this team might just have one more win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom