future leadership | Syracusefan.com

future leadership

kcsu

Living Legend
7 out of our 19 recruits were team captains.

The trend from the last few years continues.

7 out of our 19 recruits were team captains.

I was watching a signing day press conference in which the coach had the number of captains in the class brought up as a discussion topic and he basically said that it was nice, but not meaningful. He suggested since high school captains tend to be the best players on their teams and that schools recruit the best players on teams, there really shouldn't be any surprise when a high number of incoming players to Division one schools are high school captains. I thought it was a good point.

West Point only wants demonstrated leaders - being a captain of a high school sports team is a big fat check mark. Then obviously you hope the cream of leadership rises to the top.

The more high school football captains and state champions the better in my opinion.

I was watching a signing day press conference in which the coach had the number of captains in the class brought up as a discussion topic and he basically said that it was nice, but not meaningful. He suggested since high school captains tend to be the best players on their teams and that schools recruit the best players on teams, there really shouldn't be any surprise when a high number of incoming players to Division one schools are high school captains. I thought it was a good point.

I don't know about that though. Every sports team I've ever been on, including college, team captains were voted on by the players. The best players were not always captains. Who knows maybe it's nothing more than a popularity contest but I think it says something if your peers vote you captain.

I'm surprised that # isn't higher to be honest. Even in our bad years, we had stories about how all the recruits were team captains or team leaders in HS. That's what you'd expect. The average HS team, short of the handful of powerhouses, has how many 1A players? Most 1A teams are going to be recruiting the best player or two on your average team. And that player is likely to be a captain.

West Point only wants demonstrated leaders - being a captain of a high school sports team is a big fat check mark. Then obviously you hope the cream of leadership rises to the top.

The more high school football captains and state champions the better in my opinion.

Correct: West Point strongly favors candidates that have been team Captains on Varsity Sports Teams. Not too many Chess Club and D+D Club Captains are kicking down doors on terrorist cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom