fwiw | Syracusefan.com

fwiw

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I don't read the basketball board much so I don't know what you guys know already, but, I was out with mookie jones the other night and thought I'd share.

According to mookie he'll be back next year but has to go through admissions bc of how he left last year.

Also, just thought it was interesting he said Dion was hands down best player on the team. Furthermore MCW and Cooney willl be deadly according to him.

Again, fwiw.

I hope he makes it back and is part of a great team.

Nothing against the kid, but I'd be very surprised if that happened. I don't think his relationship with JB was all that good, upon which anything like this would be contingent. Could he afford to play as a walk-on? What's the scholarship situation? Moreover, I don't think SU needs a spot shooter with a mediocre handle who doesn't like to play defense. Just IMHO ...

Nothing against the kid, but I'd be very surprised if that happened. I don't think his relationship with JB was all that good, upon which anything like this would be contingent. Could he afford to play as a walk-on? What's the scholarship situation? Moreover, I don't think SU needs a spot shooter with a mediocre handle who doesn't like to play defense. Just IMHO ...

Mookie left school last season for personal reasons which have nothing to do with basketball.

His scholarship is still waiting for him if he can negotiate the re-admissions process.

Seems to me it would be very unlike JB not to make the scholarship available to Mookie, if he wanted to come back. To the best of my knowledge it is not committed to anyone else, nor would it be used for another player other than as a reward to a walk-on. Mookie's greatest failing appears to be that he didn't live up to his projections. He hasn't been a problem on or off the court...I would expect JB to give him whatever help he needs to come back, be a part of the team and graduate. The only way I would expect that to go differently is if there is something more SU/Basketball program related in Mookie's departure last year that has not been disclosed, or even really hinted at. JB is typically very loyal to guys that have been through or are in the program.....remember Mookie has been a part of the program for 3-1/2 to 4 years. I think you have to do a LOT to have him treat you otherwise.

Jb's very , very loyal to his players, sometimes to a fault , but i believe if mookie crisp can get back jb will let him no doubt. And i do expect big things from mcw and cooney so im with you brother.

Mookie left school last season for personal reasons which have nothing to do with basketball.

His scholarship is still waiting for him if he can negotiate the re-admissions process.

Understood, thanks. But that still doesn't mean there's a spot on the basketball team for him by default. That's between him and the coach. Hopefully it all works out best for both the player and the team.

Understood, thanks. But that still doesn't mean there's a spot on the basketball team for him by default. That's between him and the coach. Hopefully it all works out best for both the player and the team.

There's a spot for him.

I don't read the basketball board much so I don't know what you guys know already, but, I was out with mookie jones the other night and thought I'd share.

According to mookie he'll be back next year but has to go through admissions bc of how he left last year.

Also, just thought it was interesting he said Dion was hands down best player on the team. Furthermore MCW and Cooney willl be deadly according to him.

Again, fwiw.

Sounds good-Next time you see him tell him to work on his handle and he might be some PT this year.

I would think that there’s some positive APR ramifications for Mookie coming back as well. Even if there’s not, it’s clearly it’s in everyone’s best interest for him to come back.

Interesting that Mookie(5th year senior), who has bristled at his lack of minutes in the past, spoke so highly of Cooney(RS Freshman) as that’s his main competition for playing time, at least theoretically. Makes me feel even more confident in what we get out of TC this year as the third guard.

Sounds good-Next time you see him tell him to work on his handle and he might be some PT this year.

And how about quickness and moving his feet as well?
If he hasn't figured out that gunners come a dime a dozen, then he's a lost cause. I always wonder what some of these kids do in the off-season, especially when they show no improvement at all. He should know exactly what he needs to do...now he just needs to work his ass off & do it, no? :noidea:

And how about quickness and moving his feet as well?
If he hasn't figured out that gunners come a dime a dozen, then he's a lost cause. I always wonder what some of these kids do in the off-season, especially when they show no improvement at all. He should know exactly what he needs to do...now he just needs to work his ass off & do it, no? :noidea:

No different than any other person, some people are motivated and have the motor to put in the work to improve; others are just content and either never get that they must work at it, or never make it a big enough priority to do enough work to see a result.

I don't think you have any idea of how Mookie's relationship with JB is. Neither do I. But based on what I think I believe I would not be surprised if he is back with a scholarship for next year. Why not? We only have 3 guards on the roster. I don't think he'd get any real time but that's up to him.

I would think that there’s some positive APR ramifications for Mookie coming back as well. Even if there’s not, it’s clearly it’s in everyone’s best interest for him to come back.

Interesting that Mookie(5th year senior), who has bristled at his lack of minutes in the past, spoke so highly of Cooney(RS Freshman) as that’s his main
competition for playing time, at least theoretically. Makes me feel even more confident in what we get out of TC this year as the third guard.

And honestly, he was a very nice kid and well spoken. He understood that if (when in his eyes) he came back that it was his last go around and he just wanted to enjoy the time he had left.

I'd be surprised if Mookie wasn't back. But he better be on his best behavior. It benefits all parties involved.

Ready my lips: A-P-R.
Jake, are you saying that he already has or will bring down our APR? I am not good at reading your lips.

I am wondering if Mookie brought a psychological lift to the team? There was a huge difference in how they did the introductions after he left. They all looked kind of lost. If Mookie has grown to accept his non-playing role on the team, is it possible that he benefited them in other ways? And will again?

My guess is Jake is saying that Mookie will help with the team's APR, so he thinks Mookie will be back on the team. Just my interpretation.

Ready my lips: A-P-R.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I love all the altruistic thoughts we have about JB, but at the end of the day, he's trying to keep the program from following the UConn model.

And honestly, he was a very nice kid and well spoken. He understood that if (when in his eyes) he came back that it was his last go around and he just wanted to enjoy the time he had left.

Aren't we talking about the same kid who some serious issues with his Twitter account? He seemed to grow up after that incident, but he hasn't always been a model citizen, right?

To try to sum up most of what is real here:
JB sad that Mookie had left for pesonal reasons and would be welcomed back if he could get things straightened out.
Mookie had established himself as a lteam favorite and a good soldier. This will help next year's team.
As Jake said, a Mookie graduation is a good thing.

SU does need a forth guard on the roster. There are no others available. That pretty much sums it up.

To try to sum up most of what is real here:
JB sad that Mookie had left for pesonal reasons and would be welcomed back if he could get things straightened out.
Mookie had established himself as a lteam favorite and a good soldier. This will help next year's team.
As Jake said, a Mookie graduation is a good thing.
And don't forget the on-court aspect. At this juncture SU cannot find a better 4th guard. He would be a knowledgable veteran, who would be an injury away from meaningful minutes.

Hope he is taking his conditioning seriously. Ever since his injury he never seemed to round into top physical condition.