G is the top 3 pt shooter in the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

G is the top 3 pt shooter in the ACC?

MEA CULPA on Silent G. I saw him more as a Ryan Blackwell type role player, with limited scoring upside. Boy, was I wrong. I can see why the kid was a McD's all american.

He has been a godsend.

Based on percentage during the ACC season? Wow who wouldve guessed. Been a tough season but safe to say Rak and G have passed most peoples expectations easily. Very impressed
Can't wait to see him vs Duke

Can't wait to see him vs Duke
Will be a great matchup w Winslow on sat. That kid has been playing great of late and is big strong and fast, reminds me of Gilchrist from the Uk team a few years ago, but can shoot a little. Think he is projected top 15 in draft by some sites. I think G and Rak can hold their own against Winslow and Okafor, now if Kaleb could hold his own against that tyus kid...

With he and Cooney, and hopefully a sophomore leap out of Kaleb, and Malachi off the bench and Buss as a stopper, I don't think it is crazy to think we'll be in serious contention for the best backcourt in the country next year.

With he and Cooney, and hopefully a sophomore leap out of Kaleb, and Malachi off the bench and Buss as a stopper, I don't think it is crazy to think we'll be in serious contention for the best backcourt in the country next year.

Many think G is gone :eek: :eek: :eek:

Based on percentage during the ACC season? Wow who wouldve guessed. Been a tough season but safe to say Rak and G have passed most peoples expectations easily. Very impressed

Can you imagine where we would be if both weren't playing like they are?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25067625/jump-shot

On the night of Dec. 30, 1942, a little 5-foot-10 Wyoming farm kid named Kenny Sailors dribbled up the floor at Madison Square Garden. Somewhere near the top of the key, he stopped, squared his hips and shoulders, and elevated. Suspended in the air, his legs hung loose beneath him. His elbow formed a perfect 90-degree angle. The ball rested atop his palm like a waiter's tray.

On the night of Dec. 30, 1942, a little 5-foot-10 Wyoming farm kid named Kenny Sailors dribbled up the floor at Madison Square Garden. Somewhere near the top of the key, he stopped, squared his hips and shoulders, and elevated. Suspended in the air, his legs hung loose beneath him. His elbow formed a perfect 90-degree angle. The ball rested atop his palm like a waiter's tray.

I don't fully get the relevance of posting that in this thread, but that was an AWESOME article

Thanks for sharing that. Great, great article.

I don't mean to diminish what Silent G has done this year...he has really improved and deserves a ton of credit. However, at this point in his career, it take a long time for him to get his jumper off, he is not nearly as effective when well covered and he has shown little or no ability to shoot a jumper off the dribble.

The gimmick defenses teams have routinely used against Syracuse this season, typically designed to take away Rakeem and Trevor as major threats on offense, have left Silent G an afterthought who is often barely covered or left completely uncovered.

Next year he will be one of the focuses for the defenses SU faces and he will not get nearly as many easy shots as he is getting this season. It will be a challenge for him. I hope he is able to meet. I think he will.

Anyway, back to my point: the best outside shooters get their shots off really quickly, can get their shots off even while a focus of the defense and can shoot off the dribble effectively. He has a way to go to get to that level.

MEA CULPA on Silent G. I saw him more as a Ryan Blackwell type role player, with limited scoring upside. Boy, was I wrong. I can see why the kid was a McD's all american.

He has been a godsend.

Agreed. My assessment on G was off a bit - glad to see him putting together such a good year. As he continues to be more consistent for 40 minutes the overall numbers should continue to increase.

Now get that FT percentage up to 80%, G!!!

This needs a separate thread. Hall of Fame better put him in.

With he and Cooney, and hopefully a sophomore leap out of Kaleb, and Malachi off the bench and Buss as a stopper, I don't think it is crazy to think we'll be in serious contention for the best backcourt in the con'tuntry next year.
Surprised, but not really, more people aren't talking about stuff like this. We have a big cloud hanging over us now, but once we're through this NCAA crap, we have a very, very nice looking team for next year.