Game 2 thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Game 2 thoughts

Orangezoo

In the wind
So what better than after a 17 hour workday than to say screw it and hand flo 30 bucks to watch some SU Hoops?! Throw in a few drinks to pair it with and just the perfect ending to hump day.

Ok on to some thoughts. First of all, aside from the requirement of all SU players must be below 220 pounds, this team is interesting and just feels and looks different to me. I like the difference and hope it translates to wins.

So..

The opponent: Young team that was aggressive, pretty intelligent and also besides one or two guys struggled physically to finish or do much in terms of getting buckets. Other than that they actually did a lot of things you would hope for in playing hard, hustling and moving well on both sides. Clearly overmatched but did some nice things here and there.

Defense- So I want to start with the negative I saw. Beyond some nice anticipation, the traditional zone was penetrated numerous times with the stretched 3 pt line. Bourama looks so much better but still was late handling their guys in the lane. You can see just how the new 3 pt line can burn us as their is just so much space to operate trying to guard that far out. I did like when we showed a little bit of mtm or matchup in the second half and we have the athletes to play it. Of course the zone is likely our one and only again but based on how easily this team got in the lane, have to wonder if maybe finally we see it mixed in?? Not betting more than someone else's dollar though.

Guardplay- Just overall- the ball is moving quickly. It doesn't look forced, this group genuinely looks to swing it, and then get a shot up earlier. Also really liked the tempo. Individually, Jalens bread and butter is to push it, look for an attack lane, use his speed to nail that pull up or swing it. He really stuck to that narrative and it works. With his value on D, if he can keep it simple he is going be a key asset and develop nicely. Beyond Jalen - Buddy, along with Hughes and Quincy completes our big 3 on offense. The quick strike, spurtability is going to win us some ball games just being able to open up games in a hurry. Really stoked to see Hughes and Buddy both catch fire together.

For the other guys- if Jalen doesnt stick to the script, they are going to push him for minutes. Brycen and JG3 have a very visible confidence in both their handle and shot. While neither are PGs, they both have an attack mentality and the ability to create separation from a defender with the bounce. Both are very smart and instinctive players and you get a sense of control and calm when they are out there even when they make a mistake. Similarly, HW is a floor leader. Intelligent, calm and has nice vision. Where he lacks in creativity with his handle he just understands the game. Pure PG. And without one on the team otherwise, I am not ready to say that no way no how he gets a chance.

Bigs/Forwards- Less to really say here other than love Sidibe being healthy, Quincys physicality and willingness to look to post is refreshing and Edwards oozes potential and you can see his bball iq. Rebounding has been solid with everyone very active. Curious if we see Edwards flash his jumpshot at all. He looks to pop vs roll way more. Braswell is learning quickly. Really active on D and the boards and very nice touch. Kind of a semi glue guy player at this point in he could bring a lot to a game but also just not be needed or effective against certain matchups. Hughes is Hughes- clearly looked like they held him out in precaution. He looks good though and looks ready to be the primary guy.

Final Thoughts- lots to look forward to in a different team. Loved seeing so many different looks on offense. Good ball movement, better tempo, liked the overall diversity beyond individual play. I think that Marek is going to thrive with this group given the transition away from relying on just a couple guys to put up contested shots after a ball screen.

Can't wait to see the next two games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom