Game #3, Year #1 | Syracusefan.com

Game #3, Year #1

Fjoinkay

Starter
USF won the second quarter 28-0, then very late in the 3rd quarter a crucial USF 4th and 1 turned into a 52-yard Mack TD run, and then very early in the 4th quarter USF returned a punt 83 yards for a TD. From SU's perspective, these are all things that can be improved upon. It was closer than it looks.

If you like the total yards gained statistic you have to like the fact that SU out-gained USF by about 100 yards total. Myself, I've never been a big fan of that stat, but it does show that SU was able to move the ball better than USF overall. Losing the TO battle by 3 always hurts and is always difficult to overcome. Dungey battled throughout, and I have nothing but respect for his gutty performance. ED is a bright kid, and I suspect that he is further along on the learning curve at this point than many of his teammates, which, if true, might be a little frustrating at times especially considering how mentally demanding his position is. The first TD pass to Irv showed great teamwork and awareness between the two working around that defender.

During fall camp I wondered a lot about the defense mostly because I wondered if they were facing SU's new up-tempo style offense every day, all day. I have no idea if that was the approach, but I imagine that installing this new offense and trying to make it click, from the conditioning down to the center-QB exchange, had to be the main priority in camp. Whatever did happen in camp, I don't think it is surprising that the defense sometimes looks the way it does right now. Obviously, the Louisville offense is on a completely different level and may be the best offense in college football by a wide margin. And then the USF offense isn't too shabby itself. In fact, the USF offense is pretty darn good. The SU defense makes plays, but right now they also make a lot of mistakes. I'm not too surprised because I don't think these kids ever saw much more that SU's tempo offense in camp, they were learning a new system on D, and also the numbers are thin right now due to injuries and Sugar Bear leaving early.

Overall, I think SU competed yesterday against a good team that is well-coached, and minus a few costly mistakes SU would have been in a position late in that game to get a W. As with any team running a new system on O or on D (in this case both), I'm looking for signs of improvement (on both sides of the ball) while also factoring in the injury situation. I think this team will continue to improve. Go Cuse!!

When you get blitzed 45 - 3 (after a 17 - 0 first quarter), it is hard to find any signs of improvement, so thanks for that post. It felt similar to last season -- South Florida was the stronger, more talented team, and they proved that, in all phases of the game, after SU's good start. The offense put up statistics, but sputtered after that first quarter.

The hope for improvement? Our defense is led by juniors and sophomores, with some frosh working in. Maybe they get better. The offense is similar, with only a few seniors, and two of those seniors went out with injuries.

USF won the second quarter 28-0, then very late in the 3rd quarter a crucial USF 4th and 1 turned into a 52-yard Mack TD run, and then very early in the 4th quarter USF returned a punt 83 yards for a TD. From SU's perspective, these are all things that can be improved upon. It was closer than it looks.

If you like the total yards gained statistic you have to like the fact that SU out-gained USF by about 100 yards total. Myself, I've never been a big fan of that stat, but it does show that SU was able to move the ball better than USF overall. Losing the TO battle by 3 always hurts and is always difficult to overcome. Dungey battled throughout, and I have nothing but respect for his gutty performance. ED is a bright kid, and I suspect that he is further along on the learning curve at this point than many of his teammates, which, if true, might be a little frustrating at times especially considering how mentally demanding his position is. The first TD pass to Irv showed great teamwork and awareness between the two working around that defender.

During fall camp I wondered a lot about the defense mostly because I wondered if they were facing SU's new up-tempo style offense every day, all day. I have no idea if that was the approach, but I imagine that installing this new offense and trying to make it click, from the conditioning down to the center-QB exchange, had to be the main priority in camp. Whatever did happen in camp, I don't think it is surprising that the defense sometimes looks the way it does right now. Obviously, the Louisville offense is on a completely different level and may be the best offense in college football by a wide margin. And then the USF offense isn't too shabby itself. In fact, the USF offense is pretty darn good. The SU defense makes plays, but right now they also make a lot of mistakes. I'm not too surprised because I don't think these kids ever saw much more that SU's tempo offense in camp, they were learning a new system on D, and also the numbers are thin right now due to injuries and Sugar Bear leaving early.

Overall, I think SU competed yesterday against a good team that is well-coached, and minus a few costly mistakes SU would have been in a position late in that game to get a W. As with any team running a new system on O or on D (in this case both), I'm looking for signs of improvement (on both sides of the ball) while also factoring in the injury situation. I think this team will continue to improve. Go Cuse!!
I saw an SU team on the brink of good things. Stats were on our side except for the late big plays. I think we're struggling to keep up with ourselves on offense and defense, which will get better as our conditioning improves. The OL got tired and got some penalties, Dungey got tired which took the edge off his throws, and USF made a couple big plays on a winded defense. The pace has hurt us late against USF and Louisville, but should become a strength with a deeper bench starting next year and a couple more games this year. LGO!!

That first quarter was really excellent. There is no caveat to it. Syracuse had 3 really nice offensive drives and did what was needed on D. There is clearly room for optimism. Frankly I think our team gets tire toward the end of games. Maybe they don't, but it appears they currently can't keep up the pace for an entire game - the defense particularly gets very pliant in the second half of the games so far.

To me, this is a personnel problem. We are completely outclassed in size and athleticism almost everywhere on the field. It is encouraging the bright spots that Babers can create with the personnel he has. I am optimistic that he will be able to bring in upgraded personnel all over the field on offense. On defense, I'm a little bit more skeptical, but it would be hard to downgrade from what he has now (especially considering the injuries).

The question will be whether he stays long enough to see this experiment succeed. He could bolt and/or get fired for many reasons. By the end of this year most of the fanbase could be calling for his head and it will be a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom