Game Thoughts and Other Musings... | Syracusefan.com

Game Thoughts and Other Musings...

CIL

All Conference
I am writing this on my iPhone in the car on the way back to Pittsburgh from Syracuse. I have two little ones screaming in the back and the Princess and the Frog movie blaring from the DVD player, so forgive me if this post is all over the place.

First off, the Dome looks absolutely fantastic. The HD screens are awesome, and the ribbon boards bring the place well into the 21st century. They also added some much needed touch up paint to the walls. The place is no longer a detriment to the program and I would even say it is now an attractive place as any to see a game. Couple that with the 88 ounces of beer I drained, I couldn't have been in a better place.

Now on to the game...as to the offense, it looks like the binder has finally been put into effect. This has been the plan all along, a "multiple" offense in the form of a no huddle approach. There have been several personnel issues over the years that have prevented this, which I will address later in this post, but alas it is finally here.

Now, Northwestern isn't exactly USC, but they are probably equivalent to pretty much any big east program on our schedule and we had our way with them. I know it is easy to say that their secondary was terrible, etc, but this is also a B10 team that has been to four straight bowl games. This isn't Tulane or Maine here. It was a quality matchup and a good test to see where we stood as a program.

This offense I saw has many more strengths than weaknesses. I know some here were a tad disappointed with the running game, but those swing passes, wr jailbreaks and swings are essentially runs in today's game.

As of now, I do like Gulley over Smith as the "featured" back. This offense can be lethal with a running back that can take advantage of the cutback lanes afforded due to the scheme. Gulley exhibited that on his touchdown carry with a nice cut and explosion through the middle. From what I can see Smith lacks the patience and vision to fully take advantage of those opportunities right now. Keep an eye out for the Morris kid over the next couple of years. He is supposedly the best of both worlds.

Love the way we attacked Northwestern through the air. When Northwestern went to four deep, we screened the hell out of them. When they tried to "cloud" (cover 2 to the strong side of the field / cover 3 to the back side) we went up top with a lot of success. When they played straight cover two we seemed them with the TE.

I have beaten on Nassib a lot over the last couple of years, but he had a great game on Saturday. He isn't quite the dual threat that this offense is lacking, but he has full command of the offense and understands the game pretty well at this point. He still struggles a bit with his deep balls and progressions (underthrew a wide open Kobena on his but the defender fell, underthrew West but the kid committed pass interference, missed a couple reads) but is really a solid collegiate qb at this point.

Thought the OL played pretty darn well. Macky had the best game I have seen him play and was really a strength of the line. He hard work in the weightroom has payed off as he extra muscle has allowed him to hold up at the point of attack much better. Sean Hickey was excellent is replacing Pugh. He has the feet and frame to play on Sundays. They weak link was probably big Lou. He was a bit shaky at times with the offsides and allowing his man to beat him outside a couple times, but he is a better player than Hay was for us and is at worst a solid depth player. I had some concerns about this unit coming into the season, but they answered a lot of my questions. When Pugh comes back, it should allow Hickey to slide over to the right side. That will help.

I like this WR corps. While there isn't a pure game breaker amongst them, they are all legitimate division 1 players. Each and everyone of them is fast enough to be a threat vertically. We aren't exactly running Rice Moss and Tim Lane out there anymore. Sure, I don't see a Spotwood or Harrison amongst them, but I do see kids that can play. One of those kids is the consummate gamer, Marcus Sales. He is just so darn smooth out there, I can understand why he drive a coach nuts. It looks like is is playing in slow motion, but he never makes a move he doesn't need. I also like the Clark kid. Good depth player, shows a lot of wiggle, and considering he is probably our 5th receiver we are decent here.

Thought the defense played pretty well. They made some mental mistakes out there like not getting enough depth on some zone drops, missing some assignments, etc. The good news is all these kids can run and have D1 size. Definitely the most athletic defense in a decade. We physically dominated Northwestern on both sides of the ball. I hope to see more of that. As I said in an earlier chat, we are going to have a lot of mental mistakes out there due to the youth, but the good news is these kids have the ability to overcome those mistakes. I saw Eskridge take a horrible angle to the ball, miss the carrier, then somehow reach out and drags the kid down. Freak play.

Think Reddish is already the best corner since Will Allen. He is the complete package. Plays the run and pass equally well. His blow up of the screen pass was a thing of beauty.

Like what MPB brings. Lots of speed of the edge and probably should have drawn a couple flags. He needs to add some pass rush moves to his repertoire as for right now he is mostly speed to the outside, although he does hold up well at the point.

I'm not going to rehash the shitty plays out there. The result flat out sucked. We were the bigger, faster, and ultimately the better team. You should not lose to a team that you are clearly better than. However, this is also a pretty young team. Mental breaks are going to happen, especially for a first time starter in his first game. I can honestly say that for the first time in probably 10 years the we have the talent to play with most programs outside the major, major powers. When Eric Crume goes from being your biggest lineman to your smallest in one year, that should say something.

We were also missing Lemon, Pugh, Flemming, Stevens, and Raymon. Think about that for a second. Think about how far we have come in 4 years. When we were down more than a possession I pretty much lost hope that we had the ability to come back. I no longer feel that way, do you?

During my earlier chat, I predicted a 6-6 season and still feel that way. This team has the talent to go 8-4, but is probably too young to get it yet. However, this team is also good enough to win the BE right now. Our wins over the last few years have come from smoke and mirrors. We had a freak defense during the 8-5 season, and stole a couple games there. Everyone points to the losing streak to miss the bowl, but the truth is we could have lost to Tulane and Toledo too.

From what I have seen, those days are gone.

I really hope your wife was driving while you typed that. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I really hope your wife was driving while you typed that. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why, has NYS outlawed texting and driving?

I can honestly say that for the first time in probably 10 years we have the talent to play with most programs outside the major, major powers.

We were also missing Lemon, Pugh, Flemming, Stevens, and Raymon. Think about that for a second. Think about how far we have come in 4 years. ......

From what I have seen, those days are gone.

In otherwords, corner turned.

Putting aside the result, when looking at this program it's a different team out there.

They have gone from one of the bottom 10 programs in all of D-1 to being a legit top 50, maybe top 40 program.

Nice post. You type pretty well following 88 ounces of beer.

Regarding the running game, as more teams prepare for our passing game, things should open up more for the RBs. Also, I don't think people should get too caught up in Smith vs. Gulley. It's both all season -- both will have their games -- both bring something different. Both will play a lot.

Great post.

I think you're right about the youth of the team. I think that explains many of the mistakes.

Even many of the veterans are fairly young/inexperienced - I suspect that D. Davis is still learning how to play the LB position - Lou Alexander's first game.

I agree that Sean Hicks has great feet - I was impressed. I was pleased that we seem to have some young talent on the OL - Trudo got some playing time and it seems that Foy played well.

The thing that really left an impression on me was the number of players who got on the field - on both sides of the ball. That tells me that we are in fact getting better - that we have more talent.

Thanks again for a great post.

Speaking of a couple of holds that could have been called, I thought our LDT was held on the play where we drew the late hit penalty.

I think one of the things I've harped on was using the cutback, which SU backs have shied away from the last few seasons, happily putting their head down and running into the back of their linemen, PTG is creative and he needs to be to break off some runs.

Speaking of a couple of holds that could have been called, I thought our LDT was held on the play where we drew the late hit penalty.

Listened to the game on the radio. Announcers stated that no offensive holding calls were made the entire game!

In otherwords, corner turned.

Putting aside the result, when looking at this program it's a different team out there.

They have gone from one of the bottom 10 programs in all of D-1 to being a legit top 50, maybe top 40 program.

I would use the phrase "light at the end of the tunnel". And that light isn't an oncoming train. I still don't see an obvious gamebreaker on the roster as of now. But I see kids that can play the game.

Around the beginning of the 4th qtr, SU's right tackle got away with one of the most conspicuous holds I've seen in a while - right in front of Nassib rolling out with a couple of refs looking on.

I would use the phrase "light at the end of the tunnel". And that light isn't an oncoming train. I still don't see an obvious gamebreaker on the roster as of now. But I see kids that can play the game.

We are saying the same thing. Turning the corner doesn't mean they've arrived, but that the pieces are now in place to field a legitmately competitive team.

Great post.

I think you're right about the youth of the team. I think that explains many of the mistakes.

Even many of the veterans are fairly young/inexperienced - I suspect that D. Davis is still learning how to play the LB position - Lou Alexander's first game.

I agree that Sean Hicks has great feet - I was impressed. I was pleased that we seem to have some young talent on the OL - Trudo got some playing time and it seems that Foy played well.

The thing that really left an impression on me was the number of players who got on the field - on both sides of the ball. That tells me that we are in fact getting better - that we have more talent.

Thanks again for a great post.
I agree with most of that, but tend to be skeptical about the claim of the "youth of the team." Practically every college team has the sort of youth we do -- starting a soph in a few positions (Foy, Kobena, Reddish, Davis), no frosh or RF starting, mostly juniors and seniors in key roles. Almost every team will have a few juniors moving into the starting line-up (Wilkes, Hickey, Wales, West, Smith).

I just don't see that we are anything but typical. NW had only 3 or 4 returning starters on defense -- less experienced than our offense. We can't use the "youth" excuse at this stage of the program. Our players who are good enough to play need to trim down the mistakes, and this team will be fine.

I agree with most of that, but tend to be skeptical about the claim of the "youth of the team." Practically every college team has the sort of youth we do -- starting a soph in a few positions (Foy, Kobena, Reddish, Davis), no frosh or RF starting, mostly juniors and seniors in key roles. Almost every team will have a few juniors moving into the starting line-up (Wilkes, Hickey, Wales, West, Smith).

I just don't see that we are anything but typical. NW had only 3 or 4 returning starters on defense -- less experienced than our offense. We can't use the "youth" excuse at this stage of the program. Our players who are good enough to play need to trim down the mistakes, and this team will be fine.

Yes, I think you're right to a certain extent.

But the SU Program is still in the midst of a hard transition.

And, my thought really was that many of the mistakes were made by the young players - Reddish on punt return coverage, Lou Alexander on two straight procedure calls, Micah Robinson on a needless off-sides penalty to begin the final drive.

Keon Lyn is a junior - I can't blame that on inexperience.

But, I still agree that relatively speaking, this is a young team.

A few things I thought...

I think MPB is a beast. He clearly got held on at least 3 plays without a flag. He was still dominant while being held though. Agree with you that he needs to add another move or two to his bag of tricks. When he tried the bull rush, the tackle was able to get under his pads and stone him. He is quick to the corner, but teams will start game planning for that.

Was kind of bummed that they weren't rotating tackles in and out more. Bromley looked gassed on a few plays and Jones and Walls were just standing around on the sideline. The no-huddle might've had something to do with that, but I can't imagine the staff didn't think of that before hand. I thought the DLine overall played well, I like the added size. Would like to see fresh legs on the field more often, especially at DT.

I really like the secondary. Great size and speed. I heart Brandon Reddish as well. The kid is a player. I'd like to see Shafer adjust when teams are lining up 3 wide on one side. There were several times this happened when SU only had 2 guys over there in coverage. QB was able to quickly throw over there for a nice little dink and dunk to a wide open receiver and before you know it they picked up another 5-7 yards. I understand the zone schemes he is running, but he has to be able to make better in-game changes than he did Sat. I fear what Barkley will do to us with his WR corps.

Love how the team swarm tackles. On the kickoff where NW fumbled it all the way down to the 5 yard line, I'm pretty sure we had 8 guys in on the tackle. I was going nuts.

The crowd was disappointing, but was still very loud, especially in the 4th quarter. I can't imagine if the Dome was 3/4 full, let alone the 20-25k or so that were still left.

I really like Chris Clark. I really didn't see much of him during the FT Drum scrimmage, but he was a very pleasant surprise in Lemon's absence on Sat. He runs crisp routes, is quick and can catch the ball (minus his one big drop). I thought Marcus played a good game, and showed signs of what he was building on in the Pinstripe Bowl. He and Nassib have good chemistry going.

Broyld showed signs of what he could be on the few touches that he got. Expect him to be involved more and more as the season progresses.

I thought Gulley was a difference in the backfield. He is so much more dynamic that Smith and was huge in the passing game. Smith will be the go-to against bigger teams, but I loved what I saw out of Gulley's quickness and cut-back ability. He really improved.

All in all, I really like what I saw from both the offense and the defense. Obviously, ST's left much to be desired. Was worried about that heading into the season. The offense showed what it is capable of in the 2nd half. When we are running with a complete offense (Pugh, Lemon & Stevens back), this unit could be really good. Looking forward to Hickey sliding over to RT to replace Lou when Pugh comes back. Nassib is in 100% control of the offense and was often seen signaling to his receivers and RB's where to go. Loved his confidence.

The D is explosive when they blitz. The rebuilt front 4 provides a good push that we haven't seen in many years. It allowed the LB's big lanes to fly through. The DB's are big and fast and we finally have a lockdown corner in Reddish. Looking forward to see how he does against Woods & Co.

I'm bullish on the season and think we will do well in the BE. 7-5.

I loved how on SU's long go-ahead drive, SU's DT was trying to get out of the game but couldn't. SU kept going at them.

CIL-

Seriously, two words: Little Einsteins. ;)

They hate that show. They seem to do really well when I pop in Dora and give them each a double dose of benadryl.

Ha. Little Einsteins is like crack to my two-year old (and i find it tolerable). Of course, as I type this, we are watching Handy Manny On Demand.

Probably the benadryl alone would be sufficient. My wife works on a psyche ward and that's what the patients get to mellow-them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom