Gampel is a freakin tiny gym...and one more What | Syracusefan.com

Gampel is a freakin tiny gym...and one more What

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
I never realized how tiny Gampel looked before until Gameday pans without people in the stands. Looks like a high school gym. Googled it's capacity, and it hold more than I expected at ~10,000. Would have guess 8k tops.

However, my investigation uncovered this gem from the UConn athletics website:

"During the summer of 1996, the original capacity of Gampel Pavilion (8,241) was increased with additional seating placed above each of the four entrance quadrants of the building. The new 'sellout' for Connecticut Basketball in Storrs is 10,027, making the UConn facility the largest capacity on- campus basketball arena in New England and the Northeast."

So I guess the Otto-man empire means that Syracuse is now in the mid-west or something? How can they possible be serious with this claim?

I never realized how tiny Gampel looked before until Gameday pans without people in the stands. Looks like a high school gym. Googled it's capacity, and it hold more than I expected at ~10,000. Would have guess 8k tops.

"During the summer of 1996, the original capacity of Gampel Pavilion (8,241) was increased with additional seating placed above each of the four entrance quadrants of the building. The new 'sellout' for Connecticut Basketball in Storrs is 10,027, making the UConn facility the largest capacity on- campus basketball arena in New England and the Northeast."

So I guess the Otto-man empire means that Syracuse is now in the mid-west or something? How can they possible be serious with this claim?

Yeah What. When I play NCAA football they always mention that the Carrier Dome is the largest domed stadium in New England. I don't know who to believe EASports or the UCan't website.

It's probably some stupid technicality. They probably argue that the Dome isn't a basketball arena, it's a multi-purpose stadium. :bat:

Also NYS isn't part of New England,

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yes, but last I checked it's in the northeast. Though I haven't updated my Garmin firmware lately, so maybe that changed in last year's software rev.

Also NYS isn't part of New England,

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

true but NYS is part of the Northeast. That is a very strange- maybe UConn grads don't know that? Or maybe they just lie? ;)

The Carrier Dome is not consider an arena, it is consider a stadium and yes there is a difference.

The Carrier Dome is not consider an arena, it is consider a stadium and yes there is a difference.
Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is true. Even still, silly semantics. Who holds the record for the biggest pit? What about the largest arena without a Corporate Sponsor? How about the median arena with "hall" in the name?
I mean, good Lord.

I don't believe the Dome is technically considered on campus. That's why they can serve booze.

I don't believe the Dome is technically considered on campus. That's why they can serve booze.
Incorrect. Most definitely on campus, and has nothing to do with the booze. Private University.

Even if they tried to exclude the Carrier Dome because it is not an arena, this is wrong. What about the Petersen Events Center on the campus of Pitt? What about the Jordan Center at Penn State? Do they not consider West Virginia to be part of the East or is the Coliseum not considered an arena as well? Maybe it is in the top 5.

Who cares, we're going to the ACC and UConn can suck it all by themselves in Conference Milky Way.

It's probably some stupid technicality. They probably argue that the Dome isn't a basketball arena, it's a multi-purpose stadium. :bat:

Exactly. The same dumb argument that was used by the Yukon fans to say that the Carrier Dome wasn't an indoor football practice facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom