Gary Parrish has guaranteed San Diego State will win | Syracusefan.com

Gary Parrish has guaranteed San Diego State will win

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
"Guaranteed to be an upset:

Syracuse is ranked ninth. San Diego State is ranked 20th. And I believe both numbers are about right heading into Sunday's opener. But in a game played in November and off the coast of San Diego, I'll take the lower-ranked team returning four starters over the higher-ranked team missing four of its top six scorers from last season."

Gary Parrish's Weekend Look Ahead

I disagree with him.

It will be interesting what Vegas says on Saturday.

That's not an unreasonable opinion.

I'd also point out that this will be THE game of the year for San Diego St, at least in the regular season. Where it is more of a warm up to bigger things for Syracuse.

That said, if I'm a talented but short team like San Diego St. the last thing I want to do is go up against a huge team like Syracuse who will be playing zone where there are winds that make it difficult to hit outside shots.

It should be a really interesting game.

There are going to be a lot of people wh think Syracuse is overrated until proven otherwise. Just makes it more awesome when we win.

idk, i dont think the winds will be too much of a factor really. perhaps some but not enough to alter 20fters. if it is, i would have to think our bigs could dominate this game.

I'd also point out that this will be THE game of the year for San Diego St, at least in the regular season. Where it is more of a warm up to bigger things for Syracuse.

That said, if I'm a talented but short team like San Diego St. the last thing I want to do is go up against a huge team like Syracuse who will be playing zone where there are winds that make it difficult to hit outside shots.

Parrish might be partly basing his opinion on the fact that San Diego State has a very good backcourt and are at home (more or less)

Luke Winn has rated SDSU's backcourt of Jamaal Franklin, Chase Tapley, Xavier Thames and James Rahon #2 in the nation

He noted:

Franklin, the reigning Mountain West Conference player of the year, is the best-rebounding guard in the country, while Tapley is a lethal shooting threat and strong defender.

BTW Winn has the backcourt of MCW, Triche & Cooney ranked #15

He noted:

Carter-Williams had to toil behind Scoop Jardine and Dion Waiters as a freshman but is expected to have a breakout year running the point. Triche, a senior who's been starting since he was a freshman, is a steady combo guard who'll help Carter-Williams make the adjustment from role player to primary ballhandler.

There are going to be a lot of people wh think Syracuse is overrated until proven otherwise. Just makes it more awesome when we win.

We are always overrated until we mud stomp the big east. Then we are good again

Obviously either team can win this game. Parrish has to make his headlines. But one thing that should not be overlooked (regardless of what Syracuse players are gone from last year, let's face it, they lose key players every year) is that JB has a very good track record of winning big games early in the season, year over year.

Obviously either team can win this game. Parrish has to make his headlines. But one thing that should not be overlooked (regardless of what Syracuse players are gone from last year, let's face it, they lose key players every year) is that JB has a very good track record of winning big games early in the season, year over year.
Except in 2002 when we fell 70-63 to Memphis in Melo's first game and went on to win the national championship in 2003.

Except in 2002 when we fell 70-63 to Memphis in Melo's first game and went on to win the national championship in 2003.
Funny, I was going to mention that one as an exception...

Good post. They have really good guards. I'll be very interested to see how our 'snubbed' backcourt deals with them.

"Guaranteed to be an upset:

Syracuse is ranked ninth. San Diego State is ranked 20th. And I believe both numbers are about right heading into Sunday's opener. But in a game played in November and off the coast of San Diego, I'll take the lower-ranked team returning four starters over the higher-ranked team missing four of its top six scorers from last season."

Gary Parrish's Weekend Look Ahead

Thanks Gary #KOD!

so we're gonna win then, right?

I'd feel better if Dick Morris said we were gonna lose.

The UCLA game on December 1 is a bigger game for SDSU.

His rationale makes a lot of sense.

That said, I've never associated "Gary Parrish" and "sense." Wasn't too optimistic about this game, but I feel a bit better about SU's chances now.

His rationale makes a lot of sense.

That said, I've never associated "Gary Parrish" and "sense." Wasn't too optimistic about this game, but I feel a bit better about SU's chances now.
I was worried about this game a bit myself. A talented and well coached team to start the season, on an aircraft carrier no less, surely had me worried. But, this team is very well constructed. They can play a number of ways. Inside scoring, perimeter scoring and scoring from midrange as well. Defensively they are long and can rebound. This team is going to be something come March.

Don't underestimate the outdoor "playground feel" that this game will have. It does not take much to throw off an outside shooter. A mild wind, temperature in the low 60's or just a little bit of moisture could make it very difficult for an outside shooting team. Oh yeah, we also have 6'6 and 6'4 guards manning the top of our zone. North Carolina dominated Mich St. last year because of their size. I am expecting DC2 and Xmas to cause a lot of problems for SDSU. Syracuse wins by 10+ and I am putting money on the game!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom