Gbinije on Fire... | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije on Fire...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
The last 7 games including 4 games against teams that have arguably been ranked, Gbinije is shooting 25 for 48 from three.

That is 52%. He was at 58%, before going 3-8 last game.

With this momentum and a stretch of colgate, st johns, cornell montana state, and texas southern coming up, there is a chance he could be near 60% going into ACC play.

Last edited:
He could be a decent shooting guard with those numbers. Plus 50 is very nice.

I have no doubt that G will play in the league. He has what Kris Joseph and CJ lacked: good ball Iq, very good handles, and elite level shooting (if he keeps this up).

He won't keep this up.

Probably not gonna shoot 50% from 3 the entire season, but as long as he keeps it around 40% with his high attempts that's elite shooting imo.

I have no doubt that G will play in the league. He has what Kris Joseph and CJ lacked: good ball Iq, very good handles, and elite level shooting (if he keeps this up).

I think Joseph and (especially) Fair had better hoops smarts than Gbinije. Those guys were natural basketball players; Gbinije's had to work harder for his success.

He's got a better handle than those two, though.

I think Joseph and (especially) Fair had better hoops smarts than Gbinije. Those guys were natural basketball players; Gbinije's had to work harder for his success.

He's got a better handle than those two, though.

Fair was pretty puzzling, when he was on the bench his first 2 years he showed great instincts and made many smart plays. But since his junior year, and especially senior year he turned into a black hole on offense, and his efficiency dropped like crazy. I would say so far Senior G outperformed senior Fair in every area except for maybe rebounding.

Kjo never really wowed me with his bball iq tbh. Him and CJ showed flashes of brilliance when they were marginally featured in the offense, but once they became the go-to guys they were pretty mediocre. I wouldn't say the same about G.

With this momentum and a stretch of colgate, st johns, cornell montana state, and texas southern coming up, there is a chance he could be near 60% going into ACC play.

What are you talking about Willis? He would have to go 9 for his next 9 just to get to back to 60% then hit 3 out of every 5 from that point to stay at 60%. Over the next 5 games lets say that would looks like 12 of 14 or 15 of 19. Ain't happening.

I don't see G as a great shooter. He is making a high percentage now, so I don't want to sound as though I'm being critical of him, because what he is doing so far this season is FANTASTIC. In his case I think the statistics may be a little bit misleading. That said, I hope he continues to mislead all season long.

Last edited:
G is starting a strong case for some All-American honors. That said, he's going to struggle against a decent number of shooting guards in the league. I know he's playing out of position now, but he's somewhat turnover prone at this level. That might get worse at the next level. His FT shooting could kill his minutes, too.

I hope the best for the kid and he'll certainly get a shot in the NBA, if he continues to play at such a high level.

What are you talking about Willis? He would have to go 9 for his next 9 just to get to back to 60% then hit 3 out of every 5 from that point to stay at 60%. Over the next 5 games lets say that would looks like 12 of 14 or 15 of 19. Ain't happening.

I don't see G as a great shooter. He is making a high percentage now, so I don't want to sound as though I'm being critical of him, because what he is doing so far this season is FANTASTIC. In his case I think the statistics may be a little bit misleading. That said, I hope he continues to mislead all season long.

fair enough.
G is averaging just over 3 threes made a game out of 6 taken, were not talking about 1 for 2 here. Hes a 5th year senior.

We played 4 ranked teams in Texas A+M, Uconn, Gtown, and Wisconsin.
we play 4 of of our next games at home and one at Infamous MSG. Texas Southern is 1-7, colgate 2-5, montana state 4-4, cornell 5-4.

NO reason to think he couldn't level off around 56% going into pitt then. :p

Last edited:
Fair was pretty puzzling, when he was on the bench his first 2 years he showed great instincts and made many smart plays. But since his junior year, and especially senior year he turned into a black hole on offense, and his efficiency dropped like crazy. I would say so far Senior G outperformed senior Fair in every area except for maybe rebounding.

Kjo never really wowed me with his bball iq tbh. Him and CJ showed flashes of brilliance when they were marginally featured in the offense, but once they became the go-to guys they were pretty mediocre. I wouldn't say the same about G.

Joseph really dropped off after he smacked his head during his junior year. I also understand that his work ethic left something to be desired.

C.J. became so inefficient toward the end; I think there were a number of factors at play. For one, despite the fact that he was a heady player, he never developed a passable right hand; this hurt his ability to create his own shot. He played with a freshman point guard who (yeah, we know, NBA, Pittsburgh shot, everyone loves the kid) was limited, didn't run the pick and roll or feed the interior very well. The lack of shooters on that team also hurt Fair, as did our square-peg-in-round-hole offense - Billy Owens he was not, and it was unfortunate to see us run so many isolations for a good kid who didn't have the complete skill set. (edit - none of this explains the black hole phenomenon...I've got no excuses for that problem)

Gbinije is doing a lot of things well right now. We'll see how the offense morphs (or doesn't) and how he's able to take advantage of his size against more peer teams. He's certainly worked hard to get to this point - no easy feat to play three positions in three years. (I'd rather see him exclusively at the 2, for what little that's worth.)

fair enough.
G is averaging just over 3 threes made a game out of 6 taken, were not talking about 1 for 2 here. Hes a 5th year senior.

We played 4 ranked teams in Texas A+M, Uconn, Gtown, and Wisconsin.
we play 4 of of our next games at home and one at Infamous MSG. Texas Southern is 1-7, colgate 2-5, montana state 4-4, cornell 5-4.

NO reason to think he couldn't level off around 55-60% going into pitt.

First of all the opponent and their record is irrelevant. He could be unguarded and he isn't likely to make 12 of 14 or 15 of the next 19 from 3. It isn't a question of simply asserting physical or athletic superiority. One could argue that its less likely to happen against weaker opposition because the team may not be as dialed in if they are playing a weaker opponent or have a sizable lead.

My only positive criticisms with G
He tends to dribble the ball off the foot sometimes, doesn't freeze time in the lane like a true point guard, doesn't have a much of a foul line elbow up game for his size, and tends to jump more laterally then tall when attacking the lane.

If he had those he would have the complete package even without much of a isolation pull up game.

Last edited:
Joseph really dropped off after he smacked his head during his junior year. I also understand that his work ethic left something to be desired.

C.J. became so inefficient toward the end; I think there were a number of factors at play. For one, despite the fact that he was a heady player, he never developed a passable right hand; this hurt his ability to create his own shot. He played with a freshman point guard who (yeah, we know, NBA, Pittsburgh shot, everyone loves the kid) was limited, didn't run the pick and roll or feed the interior very well. The lack of shooters on that team also hurt Fair, as did our square-peg-in-round-hole offense - Billy Owens he was not, and it was unfortunate to see us run so many isolations for a good kid who didn't have the complete skill set. (edit - none of this explains the black hole phenomenon...I've got no excuses for that problem)

Gbinije is doing a lot of things well right now. We'll see how the offense morphs (or doesn't) and how he's able to take advantage of his size against more peer teams. He's certainly worked hard to get to this point - no easy feat to play three positions in three years. (I'd rather see him exclusively at the 2, for what little that's worth.)

Right I forgot about Kjo banged his head in that Pitt game, we ended our win streak and he wasn't the same afterwards.

Right I forgot about Kjo banged his head in that Pitt game, we ended our win streak and he wasn't the same afterwards.

Yeah, I'm probably wrongly looking at that as a turning point, but in my memory he was a more decisive driver and finisher before that incident. For his last year and a half he seemed content to drive left-to-right into the lane without attacking the rim, often throwing up a prayer and hoping for a foul call.

Hes already shot 58% in 6 games no reason he can't do that again in 5.
First of all the opponent and their record is irrelevant. He could be unguarded and he isn't likely to make 12 of 14 or 15 of the next 19 from 3. It isn't a question of simply asserting physical or athletic superiority. One could argue that its less likely to happen against weaker opposition because the team may not be as dialed in if they are playing a weaker opponent or have a sizable lead.

If G shoots 3-5 the next five games all of them that would put him at
40 for 73 54%

If he gets a 6-9 in one of those 5 that is
43 for 77 = 55.8%

Then again he could shoot 3-3 in all 5 giving him
40 for 63 or 63%

A 6-9 a 2-3 and thee 3-3's would be
60.8%

You never know.
:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics