gene keady | Syracusefan.com

gene keady

callmened

Walk On
Random question...how good was gene keady and his purdue teams in the 80s? I was looking at their records...seem like they underachieved despite great records. No final 4 appearances

also i dont know what it is with this great syracuse team this yr. Normally i watch every game and i contribute to the site. But this yr i fell off. Im not sure if its disgust with the b. Fine stuff or the new york yankee syndrome. Meaning so great that theres no need to follow the regular season.

Anyways...team looks good...esp on defense!

He had some real good teams but the only one I thought he actually had a legit final four chance was with the big dog glen Robinson. All of his other teams were soft and we exposed in the NCAA tourney. Good coach though.

Keady teams were perennial underachievers in the tourney - especially when he had Big Dog Robinson. If there ever was a player who could have carried a team to a championship it was Robinson.

Don't know about Keady, but his rug deserves a place in the Basketball HOF.

Don't know about Keady, but his rug deserves a place in the Basketball HOF.

Wait...that's a rug? No way! Seriously?

Random question...how good was gene keady and his purdue teams in the 80s? I was looking at their records...seem like they underachieved despite great records. No final 4 appearances

also i dont know what it is with this great syracuse team this yr. Normally i watch every game and i contribute to the site. But this yr i fell off. Im not sure if its disgust with the b. Fine stuff or the new york yankee syndrome. Meaning so great that theres no need to follow the regular season.

Anyways...team looks good...esp on defense!

Purdue in the 80-90s was my biggest bracket killer before Gonzaga and Pitt arrived - terrible NCAA record given their reg season performance.

I was at a Coaches vs Cancer event this past November that Steve Lavin was the guest of honor. Lavin couldn't make it due to his illness, so Keady came and spoke instead. He has to be one of the nicest guys who has ever gotten into the coaching business.

Keady teams were perennial underachievers in the tourney - especially when he had Big Dog Robinson. If there ever was a player who could have carried a team to a championship it was Robinson.

Living in Milwaukee during Big Dog's entire tenure, I saw Bucks fans begin to despise this guy. He declined to the point where he sat on the perimeter every possession and shot regardless of range or defense. A perfect anecdotal symbol of this syndrome occurred across the street from my job. I was on duty for the Federal Protective Force, and GRob got robbed outside of the velvet room across the street. During the investigation we reviewed the tapes and I saw his chain snatched right off his neck on video. I've never had to put that much effort into stifling a laugh when writing up the police report.

yeah, GRob was a bust in the NBA, but man he was one of the most dominant college players of the last 20-30 years

GROB could sure coach some football though.

yeah, GRob was a bust in the NBA, but man he was one of the most dominant college players of the last 20-30 years

Bust may be too harsh, he averaged 20 ppg and scored 15K points over 10 years, but knee problems just ultimately did him in.

But you're definitely right, he was unbelievable in college. Averaged 30 ppg and 10 rpg as a junior - that is absurd for a college player.

keady's always been a good coach but he is a bit hampered by certain zone coverage issues.

...that and baked bean teeth.

I could never really understand all the recognition he got as a coach. But, it was a different era when coaches stayed at programs forever unless they had scandals.

They were very good. I remember the Roosevelt Bouie block v. JBC (Just Barely Cares, Joe Barry Carroll) Until the block by Hakim in the finals that was the greatest block in SU history.

They were very good. I remember the Roosevelt Bouie block v. JBC (Just Barely Cares, Joe Barry Carroll) Until the block by Hakim in the finals that was the greatest block in SU history.

Does this post belong in another thread?

Because Lee Rose was the coach then not Keady?. Keady was still at Western Kentucky then.

Thanks for correcting me. Still, I remember the block clearly and it was a he** of a play.