Geno Auriemma Proposes That The Rim Be Lowered In Women’s Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Geno Auriemma Proposes That The Rim Be Lowered In Women’s Basketball

They are missing layups and their shooting % is low now? Uggh. Guess I don't get it. Male guards aren't given any slack for missing layups because of their heighth why should women? Women are playing against opponents of similar height so where's the competitive disadvantage? They aren't playing against men. He's correct that layups are a bit more difficult a shot for women than men because of heighth but I thought that was offset by use of the smaller ball. I don't buy his reasoning - collegiate women shoot a slightly higher % of free throws than men right now. If they are shooting poorly - practice till you are good.

I think the real reason he's proposing this now is to bring more showmanship to the game. There would be more women dunking (think Breanna Stewart), more tipping the ball in and more blocks etc. Wish he'd just say the real reason - it's obviously for the entertainment value. He thinks dunking will attract more male viewers with women playing the game above the rim. I wonder if lowering the basket will make one's heighth more important not less. It's supposed to be a game of skill not just athletic prowess. Maybe the men should raise their rim to 10'7" instead? :rolleyes:

I support this decision as soon as changes are made to Title IX

Well played, skurey, I'm happy leavin' 'em each where they are.

What he fails to realize is that this change will basically destroy lower levels of basketball, where they share a gym, don't have money to do this, and play double headers with men and women. That'll be impossible in, say, D3 ball, if he gets his way.

What he fails to realize is that this change will basically destroy lower levels of basketball, where they share a gym, don't have money to do this, and play double headers with men and women. That'll be impossible in, say, D3 ball, if he gets his way.
It will put inventors to work devising baskets which can be programmed to move up or down for men, women and youth. They already have baskets which can be electronically moved towards the ceiling to get out of the way for other sports usage.

Geno is right and he knows more about women's basketball than I would ever care to know. The skill level is so low and the players are so weak that I cannot watch. Their ball is smaller. Their hoop should be lower. Facts are facts, women are not just smaller versions of men (except for the old E. Germans).

It will put inventors to work devising baskets which can be programmed to move up or down for men, women and youth. They already have baskets which can be electronically moved towards the ceiling to get out of the way for other sports usage.

Won't be much of an invention, they already have this in most modern grade schools.

I hate the idea. This is basketball, the rim is ten feet high. If you can't make a layup, then PRACTICE HARDER. Geno just likes to hear himself talk, can't stand him.

I guess I agree with this, a softball field is much smaller than a baseball field. Can you imagine girls trying to play softball on a baseball field? I honestly still Wouldn't watch no matter what!

I hate the idea. This is basketball, the rim is ten feet high. If you can't make a layup, then PRACTICE HARDER. Geno just likes to hear himself talk, can't stand him.
Very closed minded. Women are structurally not as strong as men. Lowering the rim makes a ton of sense. Women being able to dunk would be a game changer for them...

Very closed minded. Women are structurally not as strong as men. Lowering the rim makes a ton of sense. Women being able to dunk would be a game changer for them...
Not closed minded at all. I don't expect women to play the game the same as men. If you want the rim lower, you are trying to change the rules so that the women can play the game the same as the men. Have you watched women's basketball? There are alot of very good shooters in the women's game. Typically, they play a much better team game than the men. I just don't care if they dunk. I love a good dunk, it is exciting, but so many young guys are so focused on dunking that they haven't bothered trying to learn how to play basketball. I would hate for that to happen to the women's game.

The women's game today is like the men's game from the 1950s. It is played below the rim and relies heavily on fundamentals and teamwork. You rarely see one on one play, mugging for the cameras after big plays, etc.

It is clearly different than the men's game and I think it is fun to watch on it's current merits.

I think doing this, making it easier to dunk/make layups/be cool is a slap in the face to the women of the world. Who says this is a better way to play for women?

Women are never going to be able to do everything men can do on a basketball court. Accept the women's game for what it is...it is fine as things stand today.

Geno just wants a rim low enough that he can reach it on a running jump. If a women's bball is smaller than a men's bball, maybe diameter of the rim should be reduced.

The very first thing they should do is decrease the diameter of the rim. Serious, with the smaller diameter of a woman's ball, it is ridiculous that they keep the men's diameter for the rim. You ever shoot with a woman's ball???? the margin of error is so big that basically anything near the rim goes in - you don't need to be anywhere near as good shooter to make shots with a woman's ball. It's absurd.

I play hoops a couple days a week with a woman who was a starter on George Washington's Sweet 16 team a few years ago. I asked her about shooting with a men's ball compared to a women's ball and she said "on my own - I only ever practiced with men's balls because they were so much larger that you needed more accuracy to shoot with them". She is an insanely good shooter...

[and yes, I know there is obviously a joke to be made out of her quote, but let's try to be grown-ups here, aight?]

This would take a good engineer about 0.35 seconds to accomplish.

The very first thing they should do is decrease the diameter of the rim. Serious, with the smaller diameter of a woman's ball, it is ridiculous that they keep the men's diameter for the rim. You ever shoot with a woman's ball???? the margin of error is so big that basically anything near the rim goes in - you don't need to be anywhere near as good shooter to make shots with a woman's ball. It's absurd.

I play hoops a couple days a week with a woman who was a starter on George Washington's Sweet 16 team a few years ago. I asked her about shooting with a men's ball compared to a women's ball and she said "on my own - I only ever practiced with men's balls because they were so much larger that you needed more accuracy to shoot with them". She is an insanely good shooter...

[and yes, I know there is obviously a joke to be made out of her quote, but let's try to be grown-ups here, aight?]

Do you let her post you up?

Seriously, Geno is nuts. There are a million gyms across the country where girls learn how to play (and outside courts) that will never accomodate this.

Are the female players even complaining about this? I didn't read the story, I don't really care what Geno is saying. If the young women aren't complaining, then why change it? It is insulting them by saying that they can't handle a standard basket. I have played basketball with women before, mostly when I was in college, and the ones that played college ball were good. And Mason is right about the ball, that is quite an equalizer already, if the basket has to be lowered as well, then it isn't saying much for the sport of women's basketball.

I don't think dunking and bringing the women's game closer to the men's game is going to accomplish what Geno thinks it will. The women's game has its own appeal, and its fans enjoy the game largely because of the differences between it and the men's game. In my opinion, the best way for the sport to grow would be increased parity. Honestly, the UConn program is probably the biggest blessing/curse the sport has right now. If there were more than five or so programs with a legitimate chance to win the national championship, I think there'd be more interest.

I don't think dunking and bringing the women's game closer to the men's game is going to accomplish what Geno thinks it will. The women's game has its own appeal, and its fans enjoy the game largely because of the differences between it and the men's game. In my opinion, the best way for the sport to grow would be increased parity. Honestly, the UConn program is probably the biggest blessing/curse the sport has right now. If there were more than five or so programs with a legitimate chance to win the national championship, I think there'd be more interest.

Maybe I am crazy, but I almost feel like lowering the rim would increase parity. Does this make sense to anyone else? Putting a little less emphasis on height. I'm assuming since UConn is the best team nearly every year that this might actually end up hurting them in the long run.

only ever practiced with men's balls because they were so much larger that you needed more accuracy to shoot with them". She is an insanely good shooter...

which is why I called them men's and women's bballs in the post above yours. I totally agree; the smaller ball is already a great advantage.

I'm all for this:

High School Boys and girls 10'
College Men 10'4" - Women 10'
NBA/Professional Men 10'8" - Women 10'

Dunking does take skill out of the game so should be discouraged.
But all the balls should be the same size..