Geno Talks UConn's Athletic Future | Syracusefan.com

Geno Talks UConn's Athletic Future

omniorange said:
Still think that if the ACC gets the rule change it wants and no divisions, it should consider expanding with UConn and go no divisions. Cheers, Neil

Only if ND is full member. Then only if there isn't a better fit for football, IMO.

Still think that if the ACC gets the rule change it wants and no divisions, it should consider expanding with UConn and go no divisions.

Cheers,
Neil
You only expand if the new addition creates enough additional revenue to increase every existing member's payout. Adding ND certainly accomplishes that. How does adding UConn alone accomplish that? I don't see it. It's not about having a good basketball program. That alone doesn't do it. A big problem for UConn is that it's a small market, a small state. Rutgers was attractive because NJ has almost 3 times the number of cable boxes. NY State has almost 6 times as many cable boxes and SU is the only big time college athletic program in the state. I agree with Geno that the only thing they can control is to win games. But that alone may not be enough unless the value equation changes.

No reason to add UConn football drives an all future expansion. The only ACC expansion will be if ND commits full time.

sUeConn's dumb lawsuit from 2003-2004 is why they will never be a member Sen. then AG Blumenthal's grand standing lawsuit which included all the BE football schools EXCEPT Syracuse which individually named Swofford, his deputies, Donna Shalala, BC's president as defendants killed UConn in the minds of some schools because Blumenthal took the lead. Thus sUeConn and their crazy ex lover scorned of a fan base have no other option other than to dream B1G that is what Geno is saying in that article in other words.

Only if ND is full member. Then only if there isn't a better fit for football, IMO.

Let's be realistic here. The ACC and the Big 12 are bottom of the barrel in terms of P5 conferences. And ND isn't going to join full any time soon. The beauty of the proposed rule change in terms of football conference championships is that an odd number of teams would now be fine.

The true caveats to my statements are if ESPN makes adding UConn at the very least revenue neutral and the league is forced to go to a 9 game conference schedule in football. Otherwise, the league would need to wait on ND.

Cheers,
Neil

The thing that stands out is how hungry the huskies are - out of desperation.

There is a full commitment from the president down to do what it takes to be successful.

Hire Diaco? Done.
Sign Ollie to $3 million a year? Done
Build the best BB facility in the world? Done
Have Geno/Ollie/President promote football? Done
Have the state spend Billions on getting AAU status? Done

I have no idea if it will work but compare to BCU. They got their ACC checks and stopped trying.

You only expand if the new addition creates enough additional revenue to increase every existing member's payout. Adding ND certainly accomplishes that. How does adding UConn alone accomplish that? I don't see it. It's not about having a good basketball program. That alone doesn't do it. A big problem for UConn is that it's a small market, a small state. Rutgers was attractive because NJ has almost 3 times the number of cable boxes. NY State has almost 6 times as many cable boxes and SU is the only big time college athletic program in the state. I agree with Geno that the only thing they can control is to win games. But that alone may not be enough unless the value equation changes.

Agree, the unstated caveats are actually two - the addition would need to at the very least be revenue neutral and the ACC would have to want to do 9 conference games to go to a 4 permanent rivals and then rotate 5/5 type set-up.

I'm beginning to think cable boxes and the ACC are incompatible terms. Best bet for an ACC Network is looking more and more like an internet version which would be the equivalent of a la carte in cable terms. In this regard, the better the overall athletics program (and UConn has one of the better ones on the East Coast) is preferable to simply location, location, location. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
Neil

There is a full commitment from the president down to do what it takes to be successful.

Hire Diaco? Done.

I have no idea if it will work but compare to BCU. They got their ACC checks and stopped trying.

You had me until the AAU status line. No matter how many gazillions the state spends, AAU is becoming more and more exclusive. Look at how long it took GT to get membership in the club.

Cheers,
Neil

Hire Diaco? Done.

yeah clearly ucon is on the fast track to becoming the all-time juggernaut of collegiate athletics :rolleyes:

btw, over/under on ollie bolting for nba within 3 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom