Geno Thorpe | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe

I think he is kicking himself, but not because he could have now played more at Syracuse in February. As a good athlete with an ego he is probably thinking he could have made it work elsewhere.

Probably neither. Who knows if he even watches the games, or follows the results? If you spend your entire life playing basketball, including 4 years at college, and then quit... you most like have some issues that are bigger than being the 6th or 7th man in the rotation

Geno Thorpe is one of my least favorite players to ever don Orange.

BUT, I would imagine that he has to be kicking himself. The whole decision was just bizarre -- who quits in their first semester of their senior year, essentially ending your eligibility? Because it is doubtful that any school would take a transfer who'd only be eligible for one semester. Awful decision, no matter how you dissect it.

And unfortunately, one that's had substantial ramifications for our squad. We sure could have used him, given the injuries we've sustained.

Neither. Probably not paying the slightest attention to how it's going here. In the same way that I don't give a moment's thought to him, until someone puts his name in the subject line of a new thread.

Here's a slightly related thought for SU: if you're going to honor former players by retiring their jerseys, maybe come up with some standards for how those numbers are issued in the future.

Like, maybe err on the side of not issuing #30 (or any other 'honored' number) to a grad transfer who just might bug out after a few weeks.

Here's a slightly related thought for SU: if you're going to honor former players by retiring their jerseys, maybe come up with some standards for how those numbers are issued in the future.

Like, maybe err on the side of not issuing #30 (or any other 'honored' number) to a grad transfer who just might bug out after a few weeks.

I'm not sure he was here long enough for anyone to remember or care what number he was. At least I didn't.

Probably neither. Who knows if he even watches the games, or follows the results? If you spend your entire life playing basketball, including 4 years at college, and then quit... you most like have some issues that are bigger than being the 6th or 7th man in the rotation
We'll see him on sharktank within the next 2 years selling some sort of front ponytail technology that will blow everyone's mind.

BUT, I would imagine that he has to be kicking himself. The whole decision was just bizarre -- who quits in their first semester of their senior year, essentially ending your eligibility? Because it is doubtful that any school would take a transfer who'd only be eligible for one semester. Awful decision, no matter how you dissect it.

And unfortunately, one that's had substantial ramifications for our squad. We sure could have used him, given the injuries we've sustained.

II have never heard of a mid season senior transfer coming in. It could be because of the reason you said, or perhaps it is not even allowed.

That's how I feel. Plus JB has overseas connections - we've had players not many would expect to end up having careers overseas. He still may end up overseas but seems silly to blow connections that might help you out.

I thought he made a horrible decision but then I talked to a guy from his Thursday night pickup game and he said Geno never comes off the court and is dominating. So it seems like it all worked out.

That doesn’t seem especially unreasonable to me.

I thought he made a horrible decision but then I talked to a guy from his Thursday night pickup game and he said Geno never comes off the court and is dominating. So it seems like it all worked out.

Is he still in town?

I'm guessing he's laughing. He wanted to stick it to JB and he did, to the point we had a walk on play meaningful minutes.

Thorpe is still in the area? So he’s playing pickup and prefers it rather than college ball? This is a young man who attended 3 colleges in 4 years, so I doubt he knows what he really wants. He bases his decisions on what in the moment, he doesn’t want. Sadly for this year it affected us but worse for him, the effect will be much longer.

If he’s healthy enough to play, he’s gotta he kicking himself. Was he completely unaware that just last year our 5th year senior grad transfer guard Gillon really got his opportunity to establish himself around early January and had a great last few months? Gillon had 20+ points and hit the game winning 3 at the buzzer against Duke in front of a large ESPN audience and also had 40+ against NC State. Moments that most ball players only dream of having.

Thorpe didn’t give himself a chance to have any moments like that.

He tossed away the chance to play the highest level ball he’ll ever play in his life. If he’s not kicking himself now, I’m sure he will be at some point, to an extent. Guess it all matters how important hoops is to him.

Can’t really see what he’s got to laugh at...what is he accomplishing basketball-wise at the moment? Playing in and losing some ACC games>>>>playing in scrubby pickup games that every single person in the world that likes basketball can play in.

We'll see him on sharktank within the next 2 years selling some sort of front ponytail technology that will blow everyone's mind.
i won't miss the mop, that's for sure. BOL to him.

Is he still in town?

Thorpe is still in the area? So he’s playing pickup and prefers it rather than college ball? This is a young man who attended 3 colleges in 4 years, so I doubt he knows what he really wants. He bases his decisions on what in the moment, he doesn’t want. Sadly for this year it affected us but worse for him, the effect will be much longer.

I was completely kidding. I have no idea what he is up to, but figured it was just kind of funny.

He's kicking himself that he didn't sign with PITT. he would be getting regular run and more shots there. Not because he was good.

In lieu of the MM injury saga, was Thorpe also pushed to hurry back from his foot injury? Maybe when he was pushed to come back and didn't see a ton of minutes, that played a role in how his situation ultimately played out?

I bet he wishes he saw the forest for the trees and simply waited it out a bit. His career is over, for what now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom