Gerry, Trevor and Joe | Syracusefan.com

Gerry, Trevor and Joe

SWC75

Bored Historian
The Manchild, (on The Manchild Show, AM 1260), asked me to make a statis tical comparison of Gerry McNamara, Trevor Cooney and Joe Girard at this stage of their careers.

Firstly, I had to define “this stage of their careers”. Joe has played 1,342 minutes. I looked at Gerry and Trevor through the game in which they played their 1,342nd minute and totaled each of their numbers through that game. I then figured the numbers per 40 minutes of play and rounded off each number to whole numbers so that when I call them tomorrow it won’t be a blizzard of numbers but rather something they can visualize and compare. I also figured out the two point, three point and free throw percentages.

Gerry averaged 16 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and no blocks. He missed 7 field goals but no free throws with 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That totals 15 ‘net’ points. He shot 49% on two point shots, 36% on three point shots and 89% from the line.

Trevor averaged 14 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and no blocks. He missed 7 field goals but no free throws with 1 turnover and 2 fouls. That totals 11 ‘net’ points. He shot 49% on two point shots, 36% on three point shots and 85% from the line.

Joe averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and no blocks. He missed 9 field goals but no free throws with 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That totals 12 ‘net’ points. He shot 37% on two point shots, 33% on three point shots and 88% from the line.

All three are really shooting guards but Gerry and Joe were pressed into service as point guards so they have more assists and more turnovers. Gerry and Joe got to the line more (116 and 113 times to 51), probably because they had the ball more. Joe has attempted more shots (450 vs. 407 for Gerry and 406 for Trevor) but he hasn’t shot it as well. The interesting thing is that he big deficit hasn’t bene on three pointers – it’s on two pointers. A breakdown between last year and this year is revealing: he was 38.5% on twos last year, 32.3% this year. His three point percentage has actually improved from 32% to 34%. People groan when the 30 footer doesn’t go in but Joe’s real problem comes when he’s within the arc. He’s attempted a similar number of threes (281 vs. 267 for Gerry and 291 for Trevor) but more two point shots, (169 vs. 140 for Gerry and 115 for Trevor), so maybe Joe has a tendency to challenge the defense a little more and that’s usually a taller defender.

One more note: by this time in his career, Gerry had nailed 6 three pointers in a national championship game. But that's not to say that Trevor or Joe couldn't have done that, too, if they'd had the chance.

Hmmmm, your handle of "bored historian" is appropriate to come up with this stuff. Maybe Covid has something to do with it too. Very well done :cool::(

The Manchild, (on The Manchild Show, AM 1260), asked me to make a statis tical comparison of Gerry McNamara, Trevor Cooney and Joe Girard at this stage of their careers.

Firstly, I had to define “this stage of their careers”. Joe has played 1,342 minutes. I looked at Gerry and Trevor through the game in which they played their 1,342nd minute and totaled each of their numbers through that game. I then figured the numbers per 40 minutes of play and rounded off each number to whole numbers so that when I call them tomorrow it won’t be a blizzard of numbers but rather something they can visualize and compare. I also figured out the two point, three point and free throw percentages.

Gerry averaged 16 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and no blocks. He missed 7 field goals but no free throws with 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That totals 15 ‘net’ points. He shot 49% on two point shots, 36% on three point shots and 89% from the line.

Trevor averaged 14 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and no blocks. He missed 7 field goals but no free throws with 1 turnover and 2 fouls. That totals 11 ‘net’ points. He shot 49% on two point shots, 36% on three point shots and 85% from the line.

Joe averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and no blocks. He missed 9 field goals but no free throws with 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That totals 12 ‘net’ points. He shot 37% on two point shots, 33% on three point shots and 88% from the line.

All three are really shooting guards but Gerry and Joe were pressed into service as point guards so they have more assists and more turnovers. Gerry and Joe got to the line more (116 and 113 times to 51), probably because they had the ball more. Joe has attempted more shots (450 vs. 407 for Gerry and 406 for Trevor) but he hasn’t shot it as well. The interesting thing is that he big deficit hasn’t bene on three pointers – it’s on two pointers. A breakdown between last year and this year is revealing: he was 38.5% on twos last year, 32.3% this year. His three point percentage has actually improved from 32% to 34%. People groan when the 30 footer doesn’t go in but Joe’s real problem comes when he’s within the arc. He’s attempted a similar number of threes (281 vs. 267 for Gerry and 291 for Trevor) but more two point shots, (169 vs. 140 for Gerry and 115 for Trevor), so maybe Joe has a tendency to challenge the defense a little more and that’s usually a taller defender.

One more note: by this time in his career, Gerry had nailed 6 three pointers in a national championship game. But that's not to say that Trevor or Joe couldn't have done that, too, if they'd had the chance.

to me a major difference in Gerry succeeding as he did would be his playing partners at guard were Q and Pace (along with Billy..who I loved when they played together)...if Joe was on the floor with someone who could show a different weapon on offense like Pace or Billy did. THAT would achive the precious spacing we all dream of. Not just guys standing at the 3 pt line.

of course, we’re not even talking the defensive aspect of this

any indication from asker why it's just those 3?

No.

I assume it was because they were similar players. Did he limit them to those who are white? I'll ask him.

John Gillon would have made an interesting comparison, except that he was only here for one year and it was his senior year, so it's not the same point in his career.

They also differed in the size and talent they had playing with them at PF and C.

why are these the only 3 players being compared?

They're white guards.

I asked Manchild why he chose those three players and he said that it was because they seemed to have similar skills, although he considered dropping Trevor out since he didn't play the point. All three came here as a reputation as shooters. They all lived up to it although there was some criticism about their shot selection and shooting percent age. He was not surprised by the ranking but suggested that if Joe was between GMAC and Cooney at this stage, he was doing pretty well for a young player pressed into service at the point when he's really a shooting guard.

I told him that a poster here, (unidentified), had suggested that we tend to see white players with similar skill sets as being more similar than black players with the same skill set. Manchild said that was not the case here. he didn't see other SU guards in recent years as being a part of this group. I suggested that John Gillon had a similar skill set but was a senior and thus not at a comparable stage of his career and he agreed, saying that's why he didn't include John.

Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn, Andy Rautins, Scoop Jardine, Brandon Triche, Dion Waiters, Tyler Ennis, MCW, Kaleb Joseph, Michael Gbinije, John Gillon and Frank Howard don't quite fit in the same mold. Devo could drive to basket better than any of them. Jonny was an athletic dunker but not a great shooter. Andy was similar to Trevor as a shooter but a far better passer and great at the top of the zone. Scoop is the one guy you might want to add to the group but I think he was a purer point guard and not as good a shooter. Triche and Waiters loved to drive to the basket. Tyler was the purest point guard. MCW was almost in his own category and I guess Kaleb was a in a different way. Gbinje was a point forward. Gillon was a senior. Howard was a lanky shooter with range but little consistency who couldn't shoot at all when he first got here.

Manchild just asked for comparisons of Richard Manning, Dave Siok, JB Reafsnyder, Craig Forth, and Marek Dolezaj. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom