Getting the gang back together!... | Syracusefan.com

Getting the gang back together!...

Didn't Blaudschun get some realignment news right awhile back? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It's the only way to keep the ACC intact. After six more defections (UVA, Ga. Tech, VPI, NC St., FSU, Clemson), the 10-team conference will look like this:

Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Wake Forest
UConn
Louisville
Cincy

My guess is they won't go to 12 until ND becomes a full-time member.

It's the only way to keep the ACC intact. After six more defections (UVA, Ga. Tech, VPI, NC St., FSU, Clemson), the 10-team conference will look like this:

Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Wake Forest
UConn
Louisville
Cincy

When that happens, maybe they can convince Boise, Houston, SMU and CFU to come on board and make it 16.

Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Wake Forest
UConn
Louisville
Cincy

Really not a bad hoops conference. Better than the BE in football right now.

Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Wake Forest
UConn
Louisville
Cincy

Wow, thats awful.

If this is true, its time to call our political connections in the gov and make some noise.

Add ND and Memphis or South Florida.

Even ND has a partial would work well with those two.

If the Big East disolves, play the ACC tourney every other year at MSG.

Temple would give you Philly. Just a thought.

Not ideal, of course, with FSU and Clemson out.

Add ND and Memphis or South Florida.

Even ND has a partial would work well with those two.

If the Big East disolves, play the ACC tourney every other year at MSG.

Temple would give you Philly. Just a thought.

Not ideal, of course, with FSU and Clemson out.
I hate that the words Memphis and Temple are being uttered. If those are serious considerations we are in trouble and not really any better off than we were before.

Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Wake Forest
UConn
Louisville
Cincy

i stil dont see florida state or clemson joining the big 12 for a slight bump in pay but worse division

The mf'er of all of this (and I've had a couple gins) is that the boost in recruiting that we were counting on is flattened. Our on-ramp to southern recruiting in the crapper. So the football team's future just got pushed back again.

I know I'm stating the obvious and going off topic but it still pisses me off.

You guys exaggerate all this stuff I doubt very much that Clemson and Florida St would go to the big 12. It will eventually get poached by the PAC 10. So it makes no sense. One way or another there will be a good eastern sports conference. There are only so many spots that left in the SEC and Big 10.

How about a little optimism here?! Damn, you guys are major downers. Yes, the Maryland move by Delaney was a shock to us. But it seems as though Swofford and Swarbrick weren't all that surprised. At some point the BiG is going to reach a point of diminishing returns to the member schools in terms of payouts. They just added sets in the two largest eastern markets. What the hell does Virginia offer, especially if they don't get VT with UVA? I do not think for a second that the Big 4 of NC are going to break off from each other and destroy their own conference. Won't happen. What good would it be having UNC and NC State that close and having no meaning to the rivalry, especially after all these years? NC State doesn't bring anywhere near the fan support that UNC and Duke have. Yes, I understand that The BiG only wants TV sets, but what would they really get grabbing one school without the other? Makes no sense. The BiG can't take everyone. If they really wanted domination on the East Coast, then they have to take UVA, VT, UNC and NC State. And they don't have room for all of them.

There are a lot of BIG IF's and whacked out theories being thrown around on here, and it does nothing but give people heartburn. The ACC is not dead yet. They lost UMD, a school that drove itself into financial ruin and athletic suckitude. They hopped the train because they were on the verge of being non-competitive. I still think they will end up that way. Money isn't everything. If it was, then Texas would have won the last ten championships in football and basketball. Maryland and RU can have all the money they want and still suck. Unless their management changes, they will still be doormats in 5 years. Rich doormats, but basement dwellers just the same.

I just see no reason for UVA to go anywhere without VT, and vice versa. I don't see UNC or NC State leaving each other. The only place is see Clemson and FSU going is the SEC, but then you have to ask why do that? They have a better shot to win the ACC than the SEC. And they will never be SEC royalty. EVER. They are the cream of the ACC and could stand to gain more pull in the conference if they play this right. Right now the ACC NEEDS THEM and cannot afford the alternative. Use this to level the balance with the NC Mafia, or even tip the other way.

The bottom line, obviously, is $$$. ESPN and Disney have to put up or lose big to Murdoch. ESPN has an ego too and are fighting to keep their status in the sports media arena. This is as much about saving their asses as it is about saving the ACC. Sooner or later someone in Bristol is going to put this together and realize the time has come to open the coffers and squash this bug. I'll tell you what, if SU is in a strong and stable ACC, I would spend $0.50 extra a month on my cable bill for a NEW lineup of ESPN programming that involved not just the ACC, but all of the other content they can offer that Murdoch and the Big Dud can't. If it means seeing my favorite team flourish, I'm in.

I would like nothing more than to see the brain trust of the ACC get together, agree that this is worth saving, and tell ESPN the time is now to strike the final blow. All of this can be stopped with saner heads prevailing in a conference room. The ACC and ESPN have an opportunity to make a statement and throw a bucket of water on Delaney and Murdoch. If they don't do it now, ESPN may never have another opportunity. I expect they will. Gotta have some faith in The Swof.