Gil Hodges | Syracusefan.com

Gil Hodges

SWC75

Bored Historian
I think his playing career should have been enough to get him in the Hall of Fame, (370 home runs: the most for a right-handed national leaguer when he retired and a core player for the famous Brooklyn Dodger teams of the 1950's). I also think that a player's total career in baseball should be considered. Being the manager of one of baseball's most famous teams should have put him over the top. he clearly has the respect of everyone he ever dealt with.

Yes, long overdue. Also one of the best fielding first basemen of his era.

I think his playing career should have been enough to get him in the Hall of Fame, (370 home runs: the most for a right-handed national leaguer when he retired and a core player for the famous Brooklyn Dodger teams of the 1950's). I also think that a player's total career in baseball should be considered. Being the manager of one of baseball's most famous teams should have put him over the top. he clearly has the respect of everyone he ever dealt with.

He also lost 3 prime years of his career to military service (he served in the Marines in WW2 and won a Bronze Star).

He also lost 3 prime years of his career to military service (he served in the Marines in WW2 and won a Bronze Star).

Ironic that one of the arguments against him is his 'WAR'.

I doubt there were too many adequate replacements for Gil Hodges in his time.

One would think that the combination of his playing and managerial careers would make him an easy choice for the Old Timers Committee (or whatever they're calling it this week).

Then it doesn't make much sense.
It’s how many more wins you’re worth than the average replacement player for that year. You obviously are just being clever and know nothing about the statistic.

It’s how many more wins you’re worth than the average replacement player for that year. You obviously are just being clever and know nothing about the statistic.
Gil was way above the average player for his time. His only rival as a first baseman would have been Kluszewski and Gil wins that comparison.

I mean it's a completely made up metric using an imaginary baseline, but we've discussed this before.

Gil was way above the average player for his time. His only rival as a first baseman would have been Kluszewski and Gil wins that comparison.
I think Gil was excellent. A case can certainly made for him to be in the Hall of Fame. I only object to your flippant dismissal of WAR.

The baseline is not imaginary. It’s statistically determined every year.
dumb and dumber bar GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom