Gillon, PG, 2 Asst | Syracusefan.com

Gillon, PG, 2 Asst

AirForceOrange

Hall of Fame
I wasn't able to watch the game, was at work...but we don't have a chance in hell if our PG is only getting 2 assists! Hell, our C/PF had 4 assists, along with 12 rebounds.

Also, this team can't win when only two players are getting double digits in points.

Gillon had a tremendously awful first half. Seemed stuck in the mud just pounding the ball. When he did try something outside of pounding the ball it was forced and ended poorly, and his passing was crap.

In the second half he was better. Still, kind of crap effort - could have bailed himself out again with one last three though! Soooo close, I thought it was in.

he does the best he can in the situation he's found himself, but he's a scoring guard in the body of an undersized point.

it's 2 years in a row we've had an unnatural point forced into the position, with the highest combined 2 season loss total in nearly half a century as a result.

he does the best he can in the situation he's found himself, but he's a scoring guard in the body of an undersized point.

it's 2 years in a row we've had an unnatural point forced into the position, with the highest combined 2 season loss total in nearly half a century as a result.
3 straight years

Joseph wasn't ready and Gbinije isn't a PG.

3 straight years

Joseph wasn't ready and Gbinije isn't a PG.
do you know who on the staff was so high on Joseph & Howard? Or were they both second or third options? I know they figured Ennis would give Joseph a year to learn but I am not sure how much that would have helped.

I think JB fell in love with taking athletic guys who aren't point guards and making them into point guards because it worked with MCW. It's been a miserable failure since.

What is Gillon waiting for all those times many games like today when he is pounding the rock into the floor. Or why is it happening? Is his only read to pass to White or Battle on the wing or coming off some curl? There is no pressure being applied and we are getting into the offense with under 10 on the shot clock. I get that they were paying him more attention and coming with help but it wasn't all game. Ugh. Battle too. Pounding the ball into the ground. He was the least of our problems and I know JB has no issue with ball-stopping, but, come on!

What is Gillon waiting for all those times many games like today when he is pounding the rock into the floor. Or why is it happening? Is his only read to pass to White or Battle on the wing or coming off some curl? There is no pressure being applied and we are getting into the offense with under 10 on the shot clock. I get that they were paying him more attention and coming with help but it wasn't all game. Ugh. Battle too. Pounding the ball into the ground. He was the least of our problems and I know JB has no issue with ball-stopping, but, come on!
I didn't think Battle was aggressive enough in the 2nd.

The big reason we had big 2nd halves vs. Duke and UVA is that Battle/Gillon took advantage of their matchups and drove to the rim. For most of the 2nd half, Miami left Vucjeuliuc (however you spell it) on Battle or Gillon - I was so frustrated that we didn't drive on him EVERY TIME. Especially considering we were in the bonus by around the 10min mark and didn't really take advantage of it

The big reason we had big 2nd halves vs. Duke and UVA is that Battle/Gillon took advantage of their matchups and drove to the rim. For most of the 2nd half, Miami left Vucjeuliuc (however you spell it) on Battle or Gillon - I was so frustrated that we didn't drive on him EVERY TIME. Especially considering we were in the bonus by around the 10min mark and didn't really take advantage of it

I know. Crazy. Battle or whoever was just sizing him up, stalling, and not driving. I don't get the disconnect.

Watching the game now. Gillon's defense is awful. Frank threw a bad pass but at least he played defense.

I actually think JG is capable of being a very very good point guard. But when a pg drives down court with 7 secs to go today and never even considers passing the ball...thats not good bball imo. Go back and look at NCSt and dook end of regulation. Theres 3 examples, did he even look to pass it in those 3 instances? That type of individual over team mentality needs to change if SU wants to win a post season game...imo

I actually think JG is capable of being a very very good point guard. But when a pg drives down court with 7 secs to go today and never even considers passing the ball...thats not good bball imo. Go back and look at NCSt and dook end of regulation. Theres 3 examples, did he even look to pass it in those 3 instances? That type of individual over team mentality needs to change if SU wants to win a post season game...imo
Barking up the wrong tree

Barking up the wrong tree
Hes a capable passer. Hes had many games w 10+ assists, just not on a consistent basis. Coaches need to get on him. I actually feel bad picking on him because hes our only player who looks to make plays for others certain games. Look at the stats, hes our only decent assist guy. The team really isnt all that cohesive

Fully agreed. That dude should've been isolated and abused. If we had taken advantage of that mismatch, maybe Miami doesn't play him more and he doesn't hit those big 3's.

Watching us in the half court is such a struggle. Pound the rock into the ground for 20 seconds while nobody really moves or sets effective screens, then go all hair on fire. We have to run the worst half court O in the P5, rarely getting our guys easy looks without a complete defensive breakdown.

Ok, but considering the alternative he's all we got.

He wasn't supposed to be a 40 minute guy and he isn't one.

He single handedly won multiple games for us and we wouldn't have even been in this position without him.

I can't hammer the guy because of his entire body of work this year. There's way bigger issues this season than John Gillon.

Ok, but considering the alternative he's all we got.

He wasn't supposed to be a 40 minute guy and he isn't one.

He single handedly won multiple games for us and we wouldn't have even been in this position without him.

I can't hammer the guy because of his entire body of work this year. There's way bigger issues this season than John Gillon.
No, point guard was the entire problem this year.

No, point guard was the entire problem this year.

Defense seemed like our biggest issue to me this year. Our offense kept us out of only a handful a games this season while our defense was awful in every game but a handful.

I think if you put G at the point this year we're looking at close to the same record.

It also goes back to recruiting, Gillon wasn't supposed to play these kind of minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom