Gillon | Syracusefan.com

Gillon

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I have been critical of John most of the year due to his weak performances against good teams. As mentioned in the game thread, I get frustrated when he just dribbles the ball around at the top of the key and doesn't get our offense going until the shot clock is down around 12. However, I will give him kudos today for his late game driving to the hoop and drawing fouls. I think he only missed one FT down the stretch.

I have been critical of John most of the year due to his weak performances against good teams. As mentioned in the game thread, I get frustrated when he just dribbles the ball around at the top of the key and doesn't get our offense going until the shot clock is down around 12. However, I will give him kudos today for his late game driving to the hoop and drawing fouls. I think he only missed one FT down the stretch.

Guy was CLUTCH with his free throws...very UN-Cuselike. I agree his drives were very good, and if he does that more, the Orange will do very well. Not sure what finally clicked in his head. Maybe this game was the 100th Monkey(tm) and the turning point a prophesied would happen, when the switch finally flicked for the team. The talent is there, and Gillon utilizing his drives at the end was a great example.

Earlier in the game, he'd drive most of the way and then passed it back out.

Gillon looked very settled today. He understood when to drive and when not to drive and was in control. He always have somewhat of a limitation defensively because of his size, but there is no doubt our best offensive lineup includes him. FSU is a massive team and he held his own for the most part. I do think he can play at this level - he just has to avoid those spots where he dribbles too deep with no plan. He still has an elite first step. If our zone is playing it's best, Gillon won't hurt us.

Gillon looked very settled today. He understood when to drive and when not to drive and was in control. He always have somewhat of a limitation defensively because of his size, but there is no doubt our best offensive lineup includes him. FSU is a massive team and he held his own for the most part. I do think he can play at this level - he just has to avoid those spots where he dribbles too deep with no plan. He still has an elite first step. If our zone is playing it's best, Gillon won't hurt us.

He's now using his speed to be disruptive on defense. He got to quite a few 50-50 balls and tipped a number of balls. Smallish players have to realize they an advantage when those bigger guys dribble bringing the ball down right to them. You are right, FSU had no one who could stay in front of him when he was given the space to drive.

As JB said in his presser, the key to Gillon driving the lane is Lyden moving to the high post. They have to take one of the bigs outside to guard him, which opens up space in the lane.

Lydon has been out of the post a lot this year. Gillon hasn't been consistently successful, especially against the better teams we've played.

The real key yesterday was that Florida St. didn't have guards that could keep Gillon out of the lane, so they had to help off other players. This allowed him to simply be a passer. They didn't make him make shots in the lane (other than one at the end of the game), despite the fact that we have seen him struggle to do so most of the year.

Given what the scouting reports should say on Gillon, that's a terrible defensive strategy. Thankfully, they employed it, helping us win.

He's now using his speed to be disruptive on defense. He got to quite a few 50-50 balls and tipped a number of balls. Smallish players have to realize they an advantage when those bigger guys dribble bringing the ball down right to them. You are right, FSU had no one who could stay in front of him when he was given the space to drive.

Your last point is why I think Florida St. isn't a Final Four team. If they can't stay in front of Gillon, and their coaches didn't instruct their players to stay with their men and make Gillon make shots in the paint, imagine what the more elite guards will do to them.

Your last point is why I think Florida St. isn't a Final Four team. If they can't stay in front of Gillon, and their coaches didn't instruct their players to stay with their men and make Gillon make shots in the paint, imagine what the more elite guards will do to them.
I was shocked how bad their help d was until I remembered this is leonard Hamilton we are talking about. Teams like this have been his MO for years

Gillon was terrific yesterday. Bottom line, we need that to continue. Not that he's going to get 21 and 11 every night, but he can't just pound the ball without accomplishing anything. He's at his best when he attempts to penetrate--and hopefully his confidence is growing in that regard. Nice to see him have a good outing against a quality team--with size. Something for him to build on.

True, but not many teams have a Tyler Lydon playing Center.

If they played UK, Briscoe would get into the lane only to have Isaac or some 7 footer there because where is Adebayo going to go?

True, but not many teams have a Tyler Lydon playing Center.

If they played UK, Briscoe would get into the lane only to have Isaac or some 7 footer there because where is Adebayo going to go?

Monk seems to score in the lane without worrying about that. :noidea: The point is that Gillon hasn't scored consistently on his drives. Why help off other players to let him off the scoring hook? Florida St. did.

Monk seems to score in the lane without worrying about that. :noidea: The point is that Gillon hasn't scored consistently on his drives. Why help off other players to let him off the scoring hook? Florida St. did.
Clearly Gillon is not Monk and Monk hasn't played a team with FSU's size...nobody aside from teams who have played FSU have. My point is that with Lydon pulling his man out, it took away a shot blocker and when FSU helped it allowed for a kick out.

If we have DC down low and a shot blocker is near the rim, I doubt but they help off their man for someone driving the lane.

Purely speaking from a FSU perspective and how they'll fare in the tourney.

Clearly Gillon is not Monk and Monk hasn't played a team with FSU's size...nobody aside from teams who have played FSU have. My point is that with Lydon pulling his man out, it took away a shot blocker and when FSU helped it allowed for a kick out.

If we have DC down low and a shot blocker is near the rim, I doubt but they help off their man for someone driving the lane.

Purely speaking from a FSU perspective and how they'll fare in the tourney.

To be fair, Florida St. is the second-tallest team in the NCAAs. Hard to play many with that size.

We're agreeing--Gillon isn't as good as the possible guards--like Monk--that teams can present to Florida St. They couldn't contain him when we've seen lots of other teams do so. That's a serious flaw for Florida St. in a tournament that is dominated by playmaking guards, don't you think?

To be fair, Florida St. is the second-tallest team in the NCAAs. Hard to play many with that size.

We're agreeing--Gillon isn't as good as the possible guards--like Monk--that teams can present to Florida St. They couldn't contain him when we've seen lots of other teams do so. That's a serious flaw for Florida St. in a tournament that is dominated by playmaking guards, don't you think?
It is but unless the opposing team has a 3 point shooting Center, they're probably going to have to finish over 7 footers in the lane.

Gillon has pretty much gone by everyone we have played so I dont think this was a FSU issue. Other teams did a better job of forcing him to do something other than dump off the pass and thats not on the guards.

Still when he makes a couple 3s and doesnt make 4-5 bad passing decisions his game will look better. Roberson and TT need to get us 10-15 and we need 40 from White/Lydon every game then if battle/gillon/Howard give us 10-15 we are in the 70s and have a shot.

our Guard play looks so much better when we rebound. This game was much like the UNC game instead we held our own against a bigger team and didn't give up 15-20 second chance points. Same thing that happened first vs second half of the Wake game.

I also saw Gillon use screens better than many of our guards have who don't wait till the screen is set and/or go too wide. He was rubbing his man tight off the screen leaving the guard trailing and the screener's defender was late and not in position to react. I imagine NC St will be emphasizing a way to adjust their screen defense with Gillon.
-bc47f86cf1342599.JPG

I also saw Gillon use screens better than many of our guards have who don't wait till the screen is set and/or go too wide. He was rubbing his man tight off the screen leaving the guard trailing and the screener's defender was late and not in position to react. I imagine NC St will be emphasizing a way to adjust their screen defense with Gillon.
-bc47f86cf1342599.JPG

Great pic and great point. I noticed that Florida St. didn't hedge well at all. That helped Gillon have a lane to start his drives off the screen.

-bc47f86cf1342599.JPG

True. He was definitely more decisive about making his move. Can't hesitate, or the defense catches up. Yesterday, he saw the seam and was gone a step before it even opened up for him. Good to see.

I would guess that SU wins a game like Saturday's in a tight game about 80% of the time. About 19% of the time they lose. And 1% of the time (or less) we see us open up a huge lead in 45 seconds and win by double figures.

That was because of John Gillon. 11-12 from the line in the last minute or so? Excellent. All the more enjoyable because it's so rare for SU to have a player who's as good from the line. (We might have three of them.)

it seems like half the time, once he beats his man, he has no further plan for what to do. fouling him really bails him out; thank you , FSU.

it seems like half the time, once he beats his man, he has no further plan for what to do. fouling him really bails him out; thank you , FSU.

It seems like every time he gets by someone he either misses a layup or doesn't know what to do, he was great on Sat, we need more of that if we are going to make the tournament.

This team is now Gillon's team, it will go as far as he can drive it. It is what he came here for so I hope he kick's it up a notch or 2 and let it all hang out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom