Give him your answer | Syracusefan.com

Give him your answer

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Last night I had this message on my answering machine, "If SU is an Elite basketball program then why isn't it landing the elite recruits? None of these guys are top 10 players!"

Of course we all know that Tyler Ennis is arguably one of the top five guards in the class of 2013.

The rest of the class has addressed specific needs.

I'd love to forward your answers to him and give him an educated syracusefan.com response.

Last night I had this message on my answering machine, "If SU is an Elite basketball program then why isn't it landing the elite recruits? None of these guys are top 10 players!"

Of course we all know that Tyler Ennis is arguably one of the top five guards in the class of 2013.

I'd love to forward your answers to him and give him an educated syracusefan.com response.
Because we do not have an elite payroll?

No one knows if they are elite players until they play collge basketball. Tell him to look at the pre-season AA honors for elite recruits.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Tell him to look at the rosters of almost all Top 20 teams from major conferences, lots of guys not on any top 20 lists. SU's approach is not any different from those schools. Get an occasional first year impact guy, but develop the players you get that need a year or two of development.

You need 4 yr players. How happy are we to have Southerland and Keita this year, neither of whom were big time recruits.

you either reccruit top 10 talent regularly like UK for quick birsts of talent and hope for a Championship, or you build a team that can grow together and Win Chapionships. Neither is the perfect way to become Elite, but both are ways you can become Elite depending on your longterm goals.

I think because of it's system (2-3 zone) Syracuse needs to recruit players with certain skills and physical attributes that would play well. In some cases elite talent doesn't always match to the type of style of b-ball that Syracuse plays. JB has been there for over 30 years and he established a style of play he wants to play and recruits to it. On the other hand, Coach Cal recruits players and changes his style of play to the players he recruits.

If we land Roberson or Vonleh which seems more likely than unlikely that gives us a top 10 recruiting class with a good foundation of 2-3-4 year players. Now looking at who we are inolved with next year and how loaded our class could be, we might look back at this crop of 2-3-4 year players to be the foundation for one and done talent we may bring in next year and call it a stroke of genius.

Either way, our only need was pg and we got one of the best in the country. BJ Johnson seems eerily similar to MCW in terms of recruitment and projection. Obokoh was the #1 Center in the state and is basically a better version of Keita which is what I assume his role will be. The only head scracher is Patterson who in reality is a perfect fit for this team with his freakish wingspan on the top of the zone and great shooting ability, however with Cooney and Gbinije noone really knows where he fits. If MCW goes pro we have one true pg and 3 really good sg's, ill just go with the staff assumes the ball handling is there to make it work.

Yet we have 2 or 3 guys (underclassmen) who could possibly bolt for the nba after this season. If that isnt elite then i dont know what is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Because we are leaders and not followers, because will have been elite before Cal and we will be elite when he is a footnote!

I would just point and laugh at him. That's my reaction when somebody says something that misinformed.

Yet we have 2 or 3 guys (underclassmen) who could possibly bolt for the nba after this season. If that isnt elite then i dont know what is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

At this early stage, I just don't see any underclassman bolting, but then again, I would've never guessed Dion going top 5 either, so who knows. A lot of folks here seem to think MCW will bolt, but the kid has a teenager's body in a man's league. Dion was one built son of gun, so at least physically he was ready...

I really don't understand the issue people are having with our recent recruiting. Yes, we do have 3 3-star players and one 4-star player. But what people are forgetting about is that Gbinije is basically part of this recruiting class in that it'll be his first real year in orange. If you don't recall, he was ranked 29th overall in his class.

Hell, these 5 are a complete team that most Big East and ACC teams would salivate over.

It's Obama's fault, vote for Romney. Wait this wasn't a political message? I don't think I have had a message in my home voicemail in the last week that wasn't related to the election. Been getting calls from Mitt and Ann, even Clint Eastwood. As my social circles are clearly changing, I don't know how much time I'll have for you guys here at Syracusefan.com in the future, sorry.

It's Obama's fault, vote for Romney. Wait this wasn't a political message? I don't think I have had a message in my home voicemail in the last week that wasn't related to the election. Been getting calls from Mitt and Ann, even Clint Eastwood. As my social circles are clearly changing, I don't know how much time I'll have for you guys here at Syracusefan.com in the future, sorry.

By Wednesday Mitt and Ann and Clint will deny they ever knew you.-VBOF

I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to capitalize and bold "elite" over a voice message.

Carmelo anthony number 1 recruit 2002 and I believe Donte Green was top ten.
Carmelo was not number 1 (Amare was #1) and was not top 10 when he committed. He blew up his senior year.

Carmelo was not number 1 (Amare was #1) and was not top 10 when he committed. He blew up his senior year.

I only consider Melo number 1 because amare never even went to college but I see what you mean.

We only have two seniors this season, which means there are only minutes available for replacing one guard and one forward. Gbinije will be an excellent transfer and is likely to take some of those minutes at guard. Ennis locks up the rest of those minutes. Because we successfully recruited ahead, the open minutes at forward are most likely taken by Grant.

When you can't offer immediate playing time, you're left to find guys that understand where they are as basketball players and that want to be in position to make an impact down the road. We've been fortunate to land two players big on upside and that are really enthusiastic about being Orange. Patterson is the one we maybe don't understand the situation as clearly, but by all accounts is a talented player and will represent the University well.

Throw in that we may still land an elite forward, and we look very strong for years to come.

Only Kentucky has more top 10 draft picks over the last 4 years than Syracuse. We have been ranked #1 for 3 out of the last 4 years, have been preseason top 10 for the last 3 years and were 1 player/injury away from a national championship in 2010 and 2012. We also are the #6 or #7 winningest program in College Basketball history with a final four for the last four decades and a coach who is the 3rd or 4th winningest coach in all of college basketball history. We are recruiting better than we ever have, even though we only have 1 5-star recruit for the class of 2012 but are expecting a potential commit from another 5-star recruit. How much more elite can we get than that?

It is a fair questions and IMO OttoinGrotto's explanation is the best so far.

IMO, there are two major factors in recruiting: available playing time, which OttoinGrotto addressed, and AAU/high school coach connections. If you look at ESPN's current top 10 class of 2013 rankings, the majority of the players are from places outside SU's main recruiting areas (DMV up to New England). The pool of top 10 players is small to begin with. The fact that SU doesn't have the necessary connections in some areas makes the pool even smaller.

(FYI, the top 10 players from that list who have not committed and are from areas where SU has connections (Wiggins and Vonleh) are currently being recruited by SU.)

The percentages of landing a top 10 player are tiny to begin with and geography makes them smaller. At most, there will be a few top 10 recruits located in SU's main recruiting region every year and if there isn't a lot of playing time available for those guys, they will pursue one of several other options.