Give Penn State the death penalty | Syracusefan.com

Give Penn State the death penalty

I was never a big fan of Stephen A. Smith but I think he nails it in this interview! Somehow I don't think the NCAA has the stones to do this.

It's the right punishment.
There needs to be enough time to allow everyone associated with the current program (including the new coaching staff to disperse).

They need to start from scratch. Find some former players (of high integrity with coaching experience) to start a new program with limited scholarships.

I too wonder if they have the stones as there'd be lots of repercussions. The B1G would add another school... either as number 12 or 13.

PSU could do a lot of good by voluntarily suspending competition for 2 years, and indicating that they will clean the program of all remnants of the previous regime. Players would be given the option of staying or going. If they stay they only have strength and conditioning... no organized football, no playbooks, etc..

Unfortunately, neither will likely happen. A lengthy bowl & TV ban coupled with scholarship reductions might be the best we can reasonably expect.

That was great, the only thing I'd disagree with is the 5 years - I'd make it the same number of years Penn St did virtually nothing about Sandusky.

Actually you should read some of the Big 10 boards, a lot of people suggest throwing them out, won't happen. There are some who want a bowl ban for a number of years. Most want the Big Commissioner to step in if NCAA doesn't. Not a happy group over there, it might be better for Penn St if they don't play this year.

They will never get the death penalty. If they are smart they will self impose sanctions but nothing that i have seen out of PED STATE leads me to believe that anyone involved with that program has a brain or a conscience. I think we will see a reduction in scholorships and a post season ban for 2 years.

Scoreboard for the death penalty
1. Stephen A. Smith
2. Rick Reilly
3. Bee's

Fixed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bob Costas on MEET THE PRESS this morning said if Penn St is playing football this September something is seriously wrong. He is calling for a 1 or 2 year Death Penalty as well

I am starting to think that there is no way the NCAA can give PSU a pass. However, since the death penalty is usually reserved for repeat offenders, perhaps they will issue santions more sever than they gave Southern Cal and place them on probation. Although I prefer the death penalty, I would be OK with that I think.

I am starting to think that there is no way the NCAA can give PSU a pass. However, since the death penalty is usually reserved for repeat offenders, perhaps they will issue santions more sever than they gave Southern Cal and place them on probation. Although I prefer the death penalty, I would be OK with that I think.
1998 & 2001 at a minimum. They had 2 perfect opportunities to do the right thing. They repeated the 1998 mistake in 2001... and then continued every time that Jerry was on campus.

My punishment for Penn State:

1). 5 years of Bowl revenue from Big 10 including Penn St is transferred to the state's Child Protective Services.

2). The Penn State helmet will feature a child abuse ribbon on both sides for 14 years. The size of the logo will be similar in size to the Colt horseshoe. Consider it a scarlet letter!

3). An agency that deals with child abuse victims will own the merchandising rights to the new helmet.

4). A loss of scholarships starting in 2013 equivalent to USC in amount and length of time.

The NCAA will probably consider whatever sanctions they apply to be the first offense even though we know the cover-up was ongoing for 14 years. A repeat offense is an offense after the first sanctions are applied. Probably the best we will see. Don't get me wrong, I would shut down the program for a period.

The NCAA shouldn't have to do anything. The people in power at Penn State should be looking at this situation and realize that the whole mission of Penn State "University" is academics rather than being a football program that also happens to teach classes. They should give themselves the death penalty. Call off football to refocus the "university" back to what should be its mission. You know, academics...

They obviously either don't get it, or just don't care, and they'll do nothing and challenge someone else to do something, and then cry the victim.

I have absolutely zero respect for Penn State as a "university". They've shown that they've put the well-being of their football program over academics, and much worse, over the raping of children.

best punishment is don't let Penn St have any home games for a few years. Hit them in the pocket book hard. Make them play road games for 3 years or 5 years. On top of No Bowl, loss of scholarships,...etc

Doesn't seem to be having any impact on their recruiting. Their 2013 class looks Top 20. That's what is really unbelievable to me. No child of mine would ever set foot in that place.

Actually you should read some of the Big 10 boards, a lot of people suggest throwing them out, won't happen. There are some who want a bowl ban for a number of years. Most want the Big Commissioner to step in if NCAA doesn't. Not a happy group over there, it might be better for Penn St if they don't play this year.
Surrender one game for each victim

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Based on the article (NCAA prez signals heavy sanctions for PSU) posted today it looks like Emmert gets it. If I were PSU I would be sweating. They appear to be too stupid to get out in front of this by imposing self imposed sanctions. They think they can tough it out but I can't see this going away until some punishment it metted out for the football program and the university. Once that happens the good nature of the american people will let them move on and judge them by their future actions.

(Paternos be damned - you know what you can do with your own "investigation" - read whitewash.)

they don't even want to take the statue down let alone self imposing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom