Glaring Problem with the Running Game | Syracusefan.com

Glaring Problem with the Running Game

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Watching the Saints/Giants "game", the touchdown run by Pierre Thomas to start the 4th Quarter. A designed run play to run off center to the right side, a play we've seen run a million times at SU. Thomas takes the handoff and immediately sees nothing in front of him, so what does he do? He reverses field and goes against the grain of the defense, and into the end zone easily about 20 yards out.

My problem with what I've seen in the running game is the inability of the RB to get creative with the ball, run to space, and avoid situations where he is just putting his head down and chugging his legs into the backs of the OL. Plenty of times this year, there is space to the outside of where the play is supposed to be run to. I think PTG made this play once or twice, but it seems the RBs are completely caught up in running up the gut, regardless of it is there.

In short, I'd love to see Bailey notice that there is nothing in front of him, and rather than ducking his head down for another 1 yard gain through the middle, cut to the weak side of the line where there has been plenty of space this season. I imagine the coaching has molded them to muscle through, but I think they should take a chance and try to make a play and get creative with the ball in their hands.

Watching the Saints/Giants "game", the touchdown run by Pierre Thomas to start the 4th Quarter. A designed run play to run off center to the right side, a play we've seen run a million times at SU. Thomas takes the handoff and immediately sees nothing in front of him, so what does he do? He reverses field and goes against the grain of the defense, and into the end zone easily about 20 yards out.

My problem with what I've seen in the running game is the inability of the RB to get creative with the ball, run to space, and avoid situations where he is just putting his head down and chugging his legs into the backs of the OL. Plenty of times this year, there is space to the outside of where the play is supposed to be run to. I think PTG made this play once or twice, but it seems the RBs are completely caught up in running up the gut, regardless of it is there.

In short, I'd love to see Bailey notice that there is nothing in front of him, and rather than ducking his head down for another 1 yard gain through the middle, cut to the weak side of the line where there has been plenty of space this season. I imagine the coaching has molded them to muscle through, but I think they should take a chance and try to make a play and get creative with the ball in their hands.
Baily isnt all that good. That is the problem we dont have very good backs couple that with a poor line and what do you have... not much of a running game which is why we needed to throw to set up the run

Bailey isn't all that good? He's had a very solid season with an admittedly average line. 998 yards behind that line is nothing to scoff at, and he catches the ball out of the backfield very well. I completely disagree in saying that he's 'not all that good.' He's also replacing a 4th round NFL draft pick and rookie contributor.

Bailey isn't all that good? He's had a very solid season with an admittedly average line. 998 yards behind that line is nothing to scoff at, and he catches the ball out of the backfield very well. I completely disagree in saying that he's 'not all that good.' He's also replacing a 4th round NFL draft pick and rookie contributor.
name one other team in the big east that he would start on

name one other team in the big east that he would start on
Impossible to compare him to other running backs because they also have differing offensive lines and schemes. You don't think Bailey can go 70 yards on that identical play that Pead did against us on Saturday with the same execution? It's impossible to dispute because he doesn't play for those teams, and their running backs don't play for us. I hate that argument.

Baily isnt all that good. That is the problem we dont have very good backs couple that with a poor line and what do you have... not much of a running game which is why we needed to throw to set up the run
Disagree on several points.
Bailey is the best talent on the offense -- he could play for a lot of teams; but most teams would also have 2nd, 3rd and even 4th string RBs who could also play; several have running QBs who can provide a change of pace. We just don't. Bailey racked up five 100 yd games, will end up with nearly 1100 yds rushing, and lots of receiving yards. If you think Bailey is the problem, well, opinions might vary.
Yes, the line is very average at best. Bailey could play for other teams; three of our OL would not be playing for any other Big East team.
We did throw to lead off the Cincy game -- guess what, 2nd and 10. Nassib is throwing a lot; setting records for attempts. We have seen the passing attack, the WRs and the pass blocking. A couple of our OL guys are decent run blockers (Tiller & Hay), but not so great at pass blocking. There simply isn't a magic bullet when you take a hard look at what we have at the skill positions.

and he's going to end up with more yards from scrimmage per game than they guy he replaced.

I know there are caveats about number of touches but in order to get so many touches, he's had to be way more durable than his critics thought he'd be.

People harp on the pass blocking much more than run blocking but i think run blocking is the biggest problem. bartholemew couldn't snap but he was strong, they missed him in the running game. that's not intended as a slam on macky, they would've missed bart in the running game no matter what

Bailey isn't that good in the role he's being asked to play. If he's broken a tackle all year I must've missed it. Seems Wheatley coaches the RB's to play towards contact, break a tackle, and keep moving. Smith was done it a couple of times, Baileys not built for that. It worked for Wheatley as a player, I worked for DC3 last year, but it's not working for Bailey. Cut backs are great but in traffic alot of times equal fumbles which he's had enough issues with.

The other side of the coin is Bailey in space. He's pretty lethel when given room to work. He's not fast enough to get the corner on toss plays but in our one TD drive vs Cinci Bailey was lined up in the slot a few times and did well there.

Backs are told, I believe, to play towards contact because they don't the ability do anything else. We don't have any cutback runners, runners with dazzling moves, etc. It is what it is. Carter was a good back, Bailey is decent. But Marrone needs to find an impact back. I don't see one of the roster next year. If Gulley can't his act together before next season, we're in deep doodoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom