Go back to what worked...original starting 5 | Syracusefan.com

Go back to what worked...original starting 5

Who is your favorite SU player of all time?

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

orangebabe

Scout Team
Perhaps Boeheim should go back to what worked in the beginning of the season and start his original 5 with Keita subbing for DC, Grant for RAK, Southerland for CJ, and Cooney for MCW/Triche. I think we are much better with DC in there for rebounding purposes and a greater offensive threat in the middle than we are without him. His decrease in minutes, I know he was injured, was very discouraging. The lack of offense at the center and shooting guard positions...especially shooting guard... is destroying this team's potential.

Perhaps Boeheim should go back to what worked in the beginning of the season and start his original 5 with Keita subbing for DC, Grant for RAK, Southerland for CJ, and Cooney for MCW/Triche. I think we are much better with DC in there for rebounding purposes and a greater offensive threat in the middle than we are without him. His decrease in minutes, I know he was injured, was very discouraging. The lack of offense at the center and shooting guard positions...especially shooting guard... is destroying this team's potential.
That might work. James seemed to be more of a threat coming off the bench. It may have allowed some of the other players to get in to the flow a little bit offensively before having another scorer on the floor with them. Sounds funny saying "another scorer", but that is what JS was, instant offense off the bench. Right now it is a bunch of guys dribbling and chucking up threes.

we should also try playign the schedule we did at the beginning of the season

We were 4-0 against ranked teams until James and Coleman went down, so it was not a refelection of the schedule necessarily. I think the teams chemistry was disrupted, and it never has been the same.

Well like they always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Syracuse didn't have any issues with the roster they started games with before Coleman got hurt and Southerland was suspended. The team may be adjusted to the current rotation, but maybe they should consider going back to MCW/Brandon/CJ/DC/Rak

I hope JB goes back to starting Grant. It gives Grant some guaranteed time. It is much harder to get Grant in there if SU has started slow and is struggling to score. The rationale after a slow start is you want more scoring which is the lure and hope Dirty provides, not so much with Grant. And if you start well with JS in there then why would you want to switch.

As for DC2, I think it will be easier for JB to find him time. No need to have to start him now. He is more of an offensive option in comparison to those at center. From what I have seen recently I think DC2 should be eating more of BMKs minutes. Especially if tossing people around is not a foul.

We were 4-0 against ranked teams until James and Coleman went down, so it was not a refelection of the schedule necessarily. I think the teams chemistry was disrupted, and it never has been the same.

Is that right? James last game before he was suspended was against Providence. Who were the ranked teams we beat? San Diego State (not ranked anymore, I believe), and that's it. And we lost to Temple. Am I missing some games?

How many games has James started? I think only the last 2.

Is that right? James last game before he was suspended was against Providence. Who were the ranked teams we beat? San Diego State (not ranked anymore, I believe), and that's it. And we lost to Temple. Am I missing some games?

ND

I don't think starting Southerland vs. Grant is going to do much. Grant just hasn’t gotten enough time in the games since Southerland has been back to take on a big role. As for starting Coleman I don’t think that does anything either. I don’t think we have the player IQ to exploit whatever skills he might have. We’ve seen next to nothing from him this year. I don’t really blame him for that.

What happened with this team was that we just didn’t get any better throughout the year and all the other teams did. We started off 4-0 against ranked teams, but we didn’t get any better as the season went on. I’m not even talking about individual players looking better, because a couple have, just as a team. If you watch teams like Indiana, Michigan (even though they are struggling lately), Duke they all got better as a “team” throughout the year. Guys know there roles and what positions to be in on the court. We have more talent than probably every team we’ve faced this year besides Louisville, but we’ve grown the least as a team since November.

Teams don’t get better by starting a token McDonalds AA for a minute and then taking him out for the next 39 because he didn’t slide over quick enough in the zone. Teams get better by playing a hard schedule early on (see MSU), maybe losing a couple games while letting guys find their roles on the team, and then making sure you bring it all together by tournament time.

Our record at 23-8 isn’t that bad and we don’t really have a “bad” loss (besides Gtown 39 points), but the part that doesn’t yield much hope is that our team is just as lost as a team as they were on Nov 1st.

C

San Diego St., Cincinatti, Louisville and Notre Dame.

James didn't play in the last 3 games on the list.

I'm not sure what you are getting at about James not playing in the last 3 games, because the thread is about going back to the original starting lineup and SU being undefeated against top 25 teams with that lineup.