Go for win on road? | Syracusefan.com

Go for win on road?

pulaski74

Scout Team
First post, I dont think the game was over but do not blame jb for going off. enough is enough. But, alot of people believe in the old play to win on the road, tie @ home. shoot a three in that situation, good chance for long rebound to tie. If u hit u win and avoid getting homered like we did, if u miss u still have a couple options. Best case was a tie and possible ot. Best we're gonna get there is a no call, ot w/everybody and his brother in foul trouble. Does anyone agree, disagree? ps over 50 yrs. club ha ha

Absolutely wanted to take a 3 there. I think the home/road theory is rooted in the idea that you're more likely to win OT at home, which I'm not sure about. But you're definitely less likely to get a foul going to the basket on the road (although not necessarily likely to get called for a weak charge).

But assuming "normal shots" (nothing extreme like a forced nba 3 or a layup) the %'s are pretty clear it's correct to take a 3 regardless of location.

I don't care whether you take a 2 or a 3. A good shot is all you can really ask for. The thing that boggles my mind is why a pull-up jumper isn't used more often. Instead of jumping into a player, where there is a history of bad calls and you leave it to an official's interpretation, why not jump straight up into the air and shoot over the defender? Avoid the contact altogether.

I was hoping we were going to go for three.

When CJ drove I really thought he was going to get fouled and thought I was stupid for hoping for the 3 but that quickly changed after this bad call.

I see the logic, but who takes the 3? Cooney airballed his try at tying the game vs BC and has been misfiring since ND. Even if he was shooting better, I don't know that you'll find a better option than CJ to drive in that situation. We're just a horrific jump shooting team right now.

the theory about playing to win on the road is when your a major underdog, doesn't apply to us since us and duke are basically even

First post, I dont think the game was over but do not blame jb for going off. enough is enough. But, alot of people believe in the old play to win on the road, tie @ home. shoot a three in that situation, good chance for long rebound to tie. If u hit u win and avoid getting homered like we did, if u miss u still have a couple options. Best case was a tie and possible ot. Best we're gonna get there is a no call, ot w/everybody and his brother in foul trouble. Does anyone agree, disagree? ps over 50 yrs. club ha ha

I would agree if we had a good 3 point shooting team, but we don't. All we have is Cooney, and he did nothing last night and wouldn't have been able to get a look. We did the right thing by going to the basket, and did it well as CJ got there and made a nice move and shot. The refs took it away.

I would agree if we had a good 3 point shooting team, but we don't. All we have is Cooney, and he did nothing last night and wouldn't have been able to get a look. We did the right thing by going to the basket, and did it well as CJ got there and made a nice move and shot. The refs took it away.
I agree with you, but what I was getting at is I kind of expected we wouldnt get a call on the road especially on tobacco road.

Cooney was actually open at the top of the key but Ennis was already focused on getting the ball to Fair. If he hits Cooney, he pulls up. We'll never know if it would have gone in though.

I don't care whether you take a 2 or a 3. A good shot is all you can really ask for. The thing that boggles my mind is why a pull-up jumper isn't used more often. Instead of jumping into a player, where there is a history of bad calls and you leave it to an official's interpretation, why not jump straight up into the air and shoot over the defender? Avoid the contact altogether.

Agree 100%. Down two, with 10 seconds left in the game, you go for the best shot you can get regardless of if its a 2 or a 3.

To an extent, you also have to take what the defense gives you--which is exactly what CJ did, driving baseline.