goal tending rule | Syracusefan.com

goal tending rule

upperdeck

Living Legend
I really want to understand the intent of the goal tending rule that a ball blocked below the rim is called goal tending in any way.. In theory you could be blocking a shot thats already gone up and down below the rim and be called goal tending..

this is like the 3rd game i have seen this week with that call

I've never seen that called (I haven't been able to watch much basketball this year). It shouldn't be one, there's no logical reason for it. Any intercepted lob pass near the rim could be interpreted as a shot attempt and called a goal tend.

I really want to understand the intent of the goal tending rule that a ball blocked below the rim is called goal tending in any way.. In theory you could be blocking a shot thats already gone up and down below the rim and be called goal tending..

this is like the 3rd game i have seen this week with that call
In order for goal tending, any ball blocked below the rim should not be called goal tending. the ball has to be going in a downward flight when it is blocked. Any shot going up, unless it it the backboard is fair game. If the ball is below the rim, it can't be going down and it can't be goal tending. The ball also has to be above the basket ring . It is also goal tending if the ball is touching the rim. If you saw a goal tending call while the ball was below the rim, you saw a bad call.

Last edited:
One thing to watch for on goaltending is a defender's hand in the net. At some point (which I'm not 100% sure of), if a defender touches the net it's also goaltending. It may be ball on the rim or something else. Did that happen in this instance?

One thing to watch for on goaltending is a defender's hand in the net. At some point (which I'm not 100% sure of), if a defender touches the net it's also goaltending. It may be ball on the rim or something else. Did that happen in this instance?
I forgot about that. Hitting the net or rim is basket interference.

For me the only goaltending calls should be after it has hit the backboard or on the rim or a defender has hit the rim/netting. Let everything else go. I obviously like the "play on" scenarios.

For me the only goaltending calls should be after it has hit the backboard or on the rim or a defender has hit the rim/netting. Let everything else go. I obviously like the "play on" scenarios.
Let everything else go, as in you can block shots on the way down?

haven't looked a the NCAA as closely

but the NBA rule

During a field goal attempt, touch a ball, which has a chance to score, after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

so you can goal tend a ball that has not gotten above 10 ft in the NBA.

I just dont get the intent of the rule. if its below the rim who cares what it has touched or where it is going.

One of the ones I saw the ball was below the rim literally under the rim when touched and goal tending was called.

haven't looked a the NCAA as closely

but the NBA rule

During a field goal attempt, touch a ball, which has a chance to score, after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

so you can goal tend a ball that has not gotten above 10 ft in the NBA.

I just dont get the intent of the rule. if its below the rim who cares what it has touched or where it is going.
Because it is possible to shoot a shot that hits the board below the rim and spins up and in. Guys shot it all the time.

Let everything else go, as in you can block shots on the way down?
Yes, as long as it is not over the cylinder. Of course, none of my thoughts will work in today's game given the height and leaping ability of some of the players as every shot would get blocked. Just fantasizing is all. Obviously a goaltending rule is needed, but maybe it can be fine tuned a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom