Golf or Baseball at SU? | Syracusefan.com

Golf or Baseball at SU?

Title IX and weather will make that a difficult thing. Personally, I'd rather have SU add men's hockey.

I was thinking about this the other day. With the incoming ACC money, I would think it's possible to add a men's and women's sport with equal number of scholarships. Could be wrong, but could be possible.

I was thinking about this the other day. With the incoming ACC money, I would think it's possible to add a men's and women's sport with equal number of scholarships. Could be wrong, but could be possible.
The only sport I see listed among the ACC's women's sports on their website that SU does not currently partake in is Swimming and Diving. Those facilities would need an overhaul before SU could bring back the program, men's or women's.

There is no potential for any future for a collegiate golf program in Syracuse, NY. If you thought getting kids to come here to play football is hard ... "Come to Syracuse! Play 2 rounds of golf per semester!"

Baseball, meanwhile, is easily doable.

I'd love to see baseball return to SU. My dad tried out for the baseball team there when he was an undergrad in the late 60's. I would definitely go to some games, and with Le Moyne having moved to D-2, there is room for another D-1 baseball program in CNY.

Hockey is a no-brainer.
I doubt we'd be able to immediately, but joining the ECAC would be incredible. So many regional rivalries and some great hockey played in the conference. Bnoro and I are going to RPI-Cornell in Ithaca on the Friday night before the SU-GTown game. I love college hockey.

ice we got. i say hockey or curling. hockey is like lacrosse on ice. curling well it's like bowling on ice.

I doubt we'd be able to immediately, but joining the ECAC would be incredible. So many regional rivalries and some great hockey played in the conference. Bnoro and I are going to RPI-Cornell in Ithaca on the Friday night before the SU-GTown game. I love college hockey.

I would love me some SU hockey. We see some big teams up here to play the University of Alaska.. Michigan, Ohio State. Orange in the Carlson center would be epic

There is no potential for any future for a collegiate golf program in Syracuse, NY. If you thought getting kids to come here to play football is hard ... "Come to Syracuse! Play 2 rounds of golf per semester!"

Baseball, meanwhile, is easily doable.

Golf would be easier than baseball but both could be managed.

Re-read the article, Frazier went to ASU & they only had one home event in golf. It would be a lot like women's softball where they travel to the warmer climates early in the season. Last year on the weekend of 2/10 they had five games in Arizona, weekend of 2/14 Palm Springs Ca five games, weekend 3/2 Orlando Fl five games, weekend of 3/9 Clearwater Fl six games, weekend 3/16 Boca Raton Fl four games. The next weekend began with two home games in the Dome ( the weather was actually beautiful those two days) The next weekend they played in NYC. In April 6th they started playing home games.

LeMoyne baseball always starts their season on a southern trip.

These things can be managed with a little bit of creative thinking. If they did start up a baseball program I'm sure they could work out a deal to play at the pro park on the northside.

Here is the quote from Herman Frazier

“And, no, our spring weather here does not scare us. Let me put it to you this way: When I was at Arizona State, which had one of the premier golf programs in the nation -- and still does, both men and women -- we only had one home contest, which was the Phoenix Thunderbird Invitational. So, you’re on the road in that sport.

“When you have a highly-ranked program, you go to all of the top tournaments around the country. Remember, you play golf in both the fall and the spring in college. So, if we did have golf here at Syracuse, it would be to our advantage to have our home contests in the fall. That would work for us.”

Played hockey and play golf. Win win either way

Baseball.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

athletics7.jpg

Baseball

golf7.jpg

and golf. Above is the SU team at Drumlins back in a simpler time. Before Drumlins they played at the course on "Mt Olympus which paralled the Oakwood Cemetary fence down from the top of Mount Olympus. Number one green was near University Place where Lyman Hall is now. Number two was at the base of Mount Olympus about where Simms Hall is, then they drove over the top of Mount Olympus."

To learn more about that first couse click here

I am the biggest baseball fan I know.

It should be Hockey then Baseball. I would attend most the baseball games, would not personally attend Hockey.

Hockey and wrestling.
05_caption.jpg

Can anyone name the football players who were also accomplished wrestlers?

wrestling7.jpg

We used to get some tough players here when we offered them a chance to wrestle too, Arthur Jones could have been a star in that sport too.

I am the biggest baseball fan I know.

It should be Hockey then Baseball. I would attend most the baseball games, would not personally attend Hockey.
rp_primary_2012Renault_NH_015.jpg

You should check out the SU girls this weekend at Tennity.
They now have the best record in program history and their tailgate is awesome.
Friday at 7 PM & Saturday at 2 PM

You should check out the SU girls this weekend at Tennity.
They now have the best record in program history and their tailgate is awesome.
Friday at 7 PM & Saturday at 2 PM

Go to a men's game and see a better product.

#25 in the nation ACHA Division-I.

10496_471076719599441_1414617329_n-640x361.jpg

athletics7.jpg

Baseball

golf7.jpg

and golf. Above is the SU team at Drumlins back in a simpler time. Before Drumlins they played at the course on "Mt Olympus which paralled the Oakwood Cemetary fence down from the top of Mount Olympus. Number one green was near University Place where Lyman Hall is now. Number two was at the base of Mount Olympus about where Simms Hall is, then they drove over the top of Mount Olympus."

Interesting - any idea where that diamond was located?

I know that the baseball team was playing home games on the current site of the football practice fields by the late-'60s, but that photo looks like it was taken elsewhere.

Interesting - any idea where that diamond was located?

I know that the baseball team was playing home games on the current site of the football practice fields by the late-'60s, but that photo looks like it was taken elsewhere.

barryPark.jpg

As I look at the background it looks like Barry Park. I used to play a lot of baseball, softball, football tennis, basketball, ran there and even biked.

In addition SU used to practice football there.

wmi9nk.jpg

In these pictures that I have of a friend's father posing with Ernie Davis at Barry Park, the houses in the background are very similar.

Can anyone name the football players who were also accomplished wrestlers?

Mike Rotundo is the only one I can think of, although his biggest wrestling successes came at the "professional" level as I.R.S and various WCW roles.

Mark Kerr didn't play football, but won a NC in wrestling and went on to become a star MMA fighter.

Mike Rotundo is the only one I can think of, although his biggest wrestling successes came at the "professional" level as I.R.S and various WCW roles.

Mark Kerr didn't play football, but won a NC in wrestling and went on to become a star MMA fighter.
I know of two others and was waiting for others to chime in. One is Dick Beyer known as the Masked Marvel, the other was Jim "Bo" Nance 62-'65 All American wrestler who, if I recall correctly, used to toss Cali Cuse around like a pillow up at Archbold Gym.

athletics7.jpg

Baseball

golf7.jpg

JB looking good in the argyle socks...