Gonna miss this SWAG | Syracusefan.com

Gonna miss this SWAG

OburgCuse

Starter

One part of Dion's game which we may miss (a lot of people may disagree) this year that is under-rated is his attitude and cockiness. As much as many didn't like, I believe it helped give us an edge last year when maybe we were struggling or needed a boost (especially road games). He could single-handedly change momentum of a game or start a huge run for us by a steal and fast break throwdown and his little strut and smirk on the way back down the court would piss other teams/fans off but would let everybody know who's boss. Our team would feed off that stuff and bring team confidence sky high.

Obviously we don't really have anybody with a similar game to Dion's but I do think a great team does need some of that attitude. It seems like we have a lot of "nice" guys who tend to be a little passive so hopefully someone takes charge. My guess would be MCW because he does have some fieriness in him, but it is something that has to be proven over the long haul when times are down not just during the moments we are excelling. My one fear is that this team may be too "nice".

I agree, that swag is something that was missing for a long time from this team. Dion helped bring it back. I can see guys like Roc having it. Some of the other guys seem a little too nice, hopefully they are a bit more edgy on the court.

One part of Dion's game which we may miss (a lot of people may disagree) this year that is under-rated is his attitude and cockiness. As much as many didn't like, I believe it helped give us an edge last year when maybe we were struggling or needed a boost (especially road games). He could single-handedly change momentum of a game or start a huge run for us by a steal and fast break throwdown and his little strut and smirk on the way back down the court would piss other teams/fans off but would let everybody know who's boss. Our team would feed off that stuff and bring team confidence sky high.

Obviously we don't really have anybody with a similar game to Dion's but I do think a great team does need some of that attitude. It seems like we have a lot of "nice" guys who tend to be a little passive so hopefully someone takes charge. My guess would be MCW because he does have some fieriness in him, but it is something that has to be proven over the long haul when times are down not just during the moments we are excelling. My one fear is that this team may be too "nice".

That's what Devendorf majored in for us. Guys had brass balls and would stare down any opponent in the country.

MCW has sick passing. It might not be swag but its sick passing skill.
I think he would have been one of the best 5 passers in the country last year overlooking the stats and freshmen mistakes aside. We are going to see it first hand this year.

I think this guy will bring enough fierce for two teams
10478137-large.jpg

That's what Devendorf majored in for us. Guys had brass balls and would stare down any opponent in the country.

Guess he's the perfect example of why swag would be a necessary (if it even is that) but certainly not a sufficient condition for success in college basketball. He lost 33 games in three official seasons.

Some people like staring, but it sure doesn't win ballgames.

Dion will be missed. In time, this team will likely gain a personality; right now, it seems a little vanilla in comparison to 2012. We'll know more in a month.

MCW is going to talk a lot of crash on the court!

Dion brought attitude because he knew he could beat his defender. Can't replace a guy like that.

And, can't wait to see this new team show its own identity.

I think this team will have a toughness that we haven't had in a while. We have some bangers and big bodies.

I think this team will have a toughness that we haven't had in a while. We have some bangers and big bodies.

We have big physical guys, but the most experienced guys are not that assertive - Triche, Fair, Keita and Southerland. Southerland is probably the most colorful of the bunch, has the most personality. The others are all cogs in the machine. Very good players, but none of them are stars. Southerland could explode as a player this year. We really need him to, in my opinion, if we want to make the Final Four.

Scoop, Dion and Fab provided toughness that we might miss.
The only significant plus is Rak 2012 vs Rak 2011.

We have big physical guys, but the most experienced guys are not that assertive - Triche, Fair, Keita and Southerland. Southerland is probably the most colorful of the bunch, has the most personality. The others are all cogs in the machine. Very good players, but none of them are stars. Southerland could explode as a player this year. We really need him to, in my opinion, if we want to make the Final Four.
As far as Southerland goes, does cropdusting all over the court count as swag?

This is kinda funny to me because I was randomly thinking about Dion last night and how it seemed like whenever we'd run a high screen he could always go right and get to the bucket. He wasn't the quickest guy (not that he wasn't quick) but it just seemed like he could always get ot the rim off that screen. (Kinda reminded me of Ginobili, as weird as that comp sounds).

Anyway, this was totally random, but I decided to post it.

Scoop, Dion and Fab provided toughness that we might miss.
The only significant plus is Rak 2012 vs Rak 2011.

Really?

Is DC2 suddenly redshirting or something?

Really?

Is DC2 suddenly redshirting or something?
Nope -- but when you are talking toughness, DC2 is a fair trade for Fab. Not nearly the same as a shot blocker; shorter by 3 inches, but maybe stronger and smarter as a rebounder, and more skilled on offense.
Considering that a fair trade, the only plus is Rac 2012 versus the thinner version last season.

Nope -- but when you are talking toughness, DC2 is a fair trade for Fab. Not nearly the same as a shot blocker; shorter by 3 inches, but maybe stronger and smarter as a rebounder, and more skilled on offense.
Considering that a fair trade, the only plus is Rac 2012 versus the thinner version last season.

A fair trade being a player who is better offensively and a better rebounder?? :crazy: Damn, I'll take that trade any day.

A fair trade being a player who is better offensively and a better rebounder?? :crazy: Damn, I'll take that trade any day.
Fair trade comment was directed to swag and toughness and you trade shot-blocking for better positioning.
But, as I wrote, DC2 offers some upsides and I expect his stats will be better than Fabs.

It is likely similar in other spots. MCW isn't as physical as Scoop, but he is taller, dunks better, and should be more disruptive defensively. Cooney isn't physical compared to Dion, but will shoot better with more range.

Fair trade comment was directed to swag and toughness and you trade shot-blocking for better positioning.
But, as I wrote, DC2 offers some upsides and I expect his stats will be better than Fabs.

It is likely similar in other spots. MCW isn't as physical as Scoop, but he is taller, dunks better, and should be more disruptive defensively. Cooney isn't physical compared to Dion, but will shoot better with more range.
I think Cooney will be stronger than Dion, but not as quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom