Good Lord this Orange Madness event is awful | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Good Lord this Orange Madness event is awful

You said everything I wanted to but much better. WHOLLY SMOKES! What is wrong with you people? We haven't even started yet and the WHINING is in full season mode. Stay home, go to a high school football game or a fish fry if you hate it so much.

I think the point is that if you want to bring casual, non-die hard fans to MM then the product has to be better.

And no stabbings, either. Casual fans don't want to go an event where they may get stabbed.

The musician NF's music is actually really good, I'm genuinely a fan... But it sounded aweful out there tonight. Sucks, I wanted it to be great for him.

Every year that I have been there they just cannot get the sound system right. You can't make out the lyrics and you can never hear the on-court interviews. It's laughably bad. I stopped going two years ago.

Didn't see the practice but I saw the SUAD ads. A Christian rapper? That's never going to go over well. Wonder if that was Coyle's decision? I'm all for wholesome family fun but there's got to be a line drawn somewhere.

I can see the need to do something different after 10 years of Gross as AD but hopefully we didn't go off the deep end on that front. Ned Flanders is no good as AD either.

They need some heavy Christian Metal, like Screamo stuff, "F*** Satan, F*** Georgetown, (guttural scream of agony)". ;)

Didn't see the practice but I saw the SUAD ads. A Christian rapper? That's never going to go over well. Wonder if that was Coyle's decision? I'm all for wholesome family fun but there's got to be a line drawn somewhere.

I can see the need to do something different after 10 years of Gross as AD but hopefully we didn't go off the deep end on that front. Ned Flanders is no good as AD either.
I watched it at home and you couldn't understand him. He could have been Christian White for all I know. I would like to hear from twenty-somethings if they liked him to get a better idea if he is any good.

I don't know who NF is but there are some really good Christian rappers. Lecrae and Syracuse's own, Andy Mineo are regularly on SiriusXM Hip Hop Nation as well as Shade 45.

Andy Mineo is actually crazy hype music so if you're going to go the Christian route, as a Syracuse native, he's the guy.

supp said:
Didn't see the practice but I saw the SUAD ads. A Christian rapper? That's never going to go over well. Wonder if that was Coyle's decision? I'm all for wholesome family fun but there's got to be a line drawn somewhere. I can see the need to do something different after 10 years of Gross as AD but hopefully we didn't go off the deep end on that front. Ned Flanders is no good as AD either.

The "entertainment" has been a rapper every time they've had some. Meek mill, wale (sp?), naughty by nature, and now NF. So, no good if it's Christian? Please remember the alternative brought a stabbing. Maybe, just maybe, they should try something other than rap. Mix it up. Kids like pop, r&b, hard rock, pop rock, punk rock, nu metal, you name it. Bring Bruno frickin Mars if you want.

My opinion would be, just like at the games, that the entertainment at a college sporting event, is the college band. End of discussion. No outside entertainment, no DJ. If you have to have someone, use local bands. Bring in Julia Goodwin as an example. Local kid, was on AGT. Has sung the anthem at Dome countless times, and her father played lax at SU. Make it make sense. Before yesterday, no one in Syracuse knew who NF was, and I wish I still didn't today.

And they ran out of goddam posters 15 minutes after the doors opened. Now I gotta figure out how to get them for my kids.

During games you can usually get them at guest services or any time at the Melo Center, pop your head in the office, they're always very kind.

two3zone said:
During games you can usually get them at guest services or any time at the Melo Center, pop your head in the office, they're always very kind.
I never knew if you could just go in at any time. Good to know, because this is my first time in many years without seasons.

The day the music died. :vomit:

They should bag the music. Do a long introduction of each player. Have the scrimmage and then do a skills competition. But keep it about the basketball. The stupid marching into the arena dancing is pure BS. Keep all about basketball and only about basketball.

Dave85 said:
They should bag the music. Do a long introduction of each player. Have the scrimmage and then do a skills competition. But keep it about the basketball. The stupid marching into the arena dancing is pure BS. Keep all about basketball and only about basketball.

To be fair, everyone's MM is like this with dancing, and fun and games. We just do it poorly.

Quarters. I do not think that word means what you think it means.
;)
2012022436I%C3%91IGO%20MONTOYA.jpg

The "entertainment" has been a rapper every time they've had some. Meek mill, wale (sp?), naughty by nature, and now NF. So, no good if it's Christian? Please remember the alternative brought a stabbing. Maybe, just maybe, they should try something other than rap. Mix it up. Kids like pop, r&b, hard rock, pop rock, punk rock, nu metal, you name it. Bring Bruno frickin Mars if you want.

My opinion would be, just like at the games, that the entertainment at a college sporting event, is the college band. End of discussion. No outside entertainment, no DJ. If you have to have someone, use local bands. Bring in Julia Goodwin as an example. Local kid, was on AGT. Has sung the anthem at Dome countless times, and her father played lax at SU. Make it make sense. Before yesterday, no one in Syracuse knew who NF was, and I wish I still didn't today.
You had me until you wanted the band providing the entertainment. The band it vital for background music to keep you awake when the ball isn't bouncing at games. Not for pure entertainment at a glorified pep rally. No one is getting excited about that.

Don't like the rappers? Guess what--> maybe you aren't supposed to. It's not meant for every fan, but that piece should be there to bring in different types of fans, attract students, and most importantly appeal to recruits (exception is NF, because he stunk. speaking to Meek Mill and Wale). And please do not blame a stabbing on the genre of the music-- all the Dome had to do was have wands there at the door that night. And they did not. Disgraceful on their part.

I was told that the basketball staff insisted on a rapper because of recruits. Sue Edson tried to get some rappers who were booked. She then tried others whose songs were filled with profanity. They settled on this guy to get the rapper part and also because he didn't curse every word.

I was told that the basketball staff insisted on a rapper because of recruits. Sue Edson tried to get some rappers who were booked. She then tried others whose songs were filled with profanity. They settled on this guy to get the rapper part and also because he didn't curse every word.

How could you tell? I couldn't understand a word he said. :rolleyes:

I wasn't there on Friday. I guess Sue listened to cuts on the Web to decide who was too vulgar.

sabach said:

NF's new album is actually very good, I had no idea he was going to be there, but bummed it didn't work out well for him

mountaincuse said:
NF's new album is actually very good, I had no idea he was going to be there, but bummed it didn't work out well for him
Well in his defense, the sound for these things always stinks. We all know about the sound in the Dome. This is normally even worse when they set up separate sound systems for a live performance. Terribly distorted and a lot of muddled sound I'm guessing due to the roof.

Watch College Gameday (basketball or football) any given Saturday. No rappers, plenty of excitement - not judging here, just making an observation...

I agree that the event could have been better. The music/rap part is tricky because of the range of ages and musical preferences. Clearly, however, kids (including students and recruits) like rap. Like it or not, it's a part of youth culture and I don't disagree with having some rap music. But with the new PC (and safety) requirements, I can't see scheduling a profane misogynist either. So Christian rap seems like a good compromise. But still, the sound has to be better and the rest of the event was not well-produced.

I'm a dye hard. So I liked seeing the players, including the women. I liked the way we acknowledged the troops. But having Matt Park (probably away for UVa) or some other competent emcee would have been a big improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom