Gottlieb and Seth Davis Pick Michigan | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb and Seth Davis Pick Michigan

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Didn't take long for Dougie to get off the SU bandwagon. Both already predicting Ville- Michigan final. Davis hasn't picked a game right yet except for Ville.

Sweet. Hang the banner now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Seth picked us against Marquette

That's fine by me. Michigan scored a lot of points today, after getting an impressive victory over an impressive Kansas team on Friday. On paper, and on the outside looking in, I'd think that they should be favored in this game.

But from an inside perspective, I expect that our defense is going to give Michigan as much trouble as it did Indiana. Burke is awesome. Ditto McGary. Hardaway / Robinson are stud athletes. And that funny named kid is a damned good three point shooter. ON PAPER, they're a team that should shoot us out of the zone. But that's not how it works.

I think we take them. I was more worried about Kansas.

Let's Go Orange!!!

My thoughts on the matchup:

Burke is easily at his best when he can run the pick and roll. The zone should be able to adapt to/limit that pretty well. Michigan seems like a lesser version of Indiana basically, and Syracuse did a fantastic job getting out on shooters and forcing them to put the ball on the floor. And like the Indiana game, unless Michigan decides to play zone, Syracuse will have at least one or two mismatches at all times.

Not sure who Michigan will put on MCW, but if it's Burke, he'll beat him off the dribble all game and either draw a foul, score, or dish to an open teammate when the help defense comes. If Burke is on Triche, Triche will likely be able to do much of the same (but to a lesser extent). And beyond that, it'll likely be a pair of 6'6" guys on Southerland and Fair, so Southerland will most likely be able to get his shot off pretty easily, and Fair will have a size advantage on his man.

All of Syracuse's losses this year have come against teams with elite defenses. Michigan isn't that good of a defensive team. If they don't come out knocking down their 3's, I think Syracuse will be able to win this by double digits.

This team is a nightmare matchup for all 3 of the remaining teams, in the finals of the Big East tournament we ran out of gas after 2 tough games.

Doing some quick research on Michigan against good teams this year:
Burke shot 41.5% from 2 and 35% from 3; Hardaway shot 45.6% from 2 and 39% from 3; Stauskas shot 54% from 2 and 32% from 3; Robinson shot 59.7% from 2 and 32% from 3.

Looking at the box score, it looks like all four of them are horribly inconsistent from 3 point range (but tend to shoot in the upper 30's when it all averages out).

I think the key will be keeping McGary off the offensive glass the way we did with Zeller and basically playing the way we did against Indiana; especially our focus on getting back on defense so that they can't get their transition game going.

I really do like our chances though, just like I did against Indiana. I just think it's a good matchup for us.

I think we'll beat them.

But... I have to admit Michigan's run through the NCAA tourney is pretty impressive. They beat S Dakota St handily, then beat VCU easily...2 media darlings before the tourney started...Tough game with Kansas that they won in OT, and today they beat a team that a lot of people thought had a good shot at the FF, and beat them easily.

But the consensus was they weren't as good as Indiana this year and we obviously easily beat Indiana.

Our D will be the difference.

If Michigan hits their threes it could be a long night. But they give up threes as well.

I like our D and I like our chances with a week of preparation.

Cheers,
Neil

That's fine by me. Michigan scored a lot of points today, after getting an impressive victory over an impressive Kansas team on Friday. On paper, and on the outside looking in, I'd think that they should be favored in this game.

But from an inside perspective, I expect that our defense is going to give Michigan as much trouble as it did Indiana. Burke is awesome. Ditto McGary. Hardaway / Robinson are stud athletes. And that funny named kid is a damned good three point shooter. ON PAPER, they're a team that should shoot us out of the zone. But that's not how it works.

I think we take them. I was more worried about Kansas.

Let's Go Orange!!!
Our athleticism will dominate again.

It's the Final Four, whoever we play, it should be a tough game or there's no reason to play in the tournament.

Prior to the 2003 Final Four, the only "talking head" who picked us was Linda Cohen.

I don't really have a gripe with Gottlieb, but boy, when Seth Davis blindly picking Montana (Montana!) to beat us with zero reasoning, not to mention we just beat Georgetown a couple days ago, I knew this guy had no clue what he was talking about. Why are you picking Michigan, Seth? Are you noticing "deficiencies" from your court-side seat? Annoying!

Didn't take long for Dougie to get off the SU bandwagon. Both already predicting Ville- Michigan final. Davis hasn't picked a game right yet except for Ville.
I dont know about anyone else, but I prefer Dougie to pick against us

Prior to the 2003 Final Four, the only "talking head" who picked us was Linda Cohen.

And the only one that I can remember who picked us over Kansas in the final was Fran.

36a2as.jpg
qm.gif

In 2003, I'm pretty certain Clark Kellogg picked us to win the whole thing on Selection Sunday.

I guess it's time to hold another team to a season low output.

52 is the number there against MSU 53 against OSU

We shall see....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom