Grainy Vintage SU-PSU 1960 Archbold | Syracusefan.com

Grainy Vintage SU-PSU 1960 Archbold

Wow. Loved watching 44 bust through that hole. Pride.

I remeber hearing or reading somewhere that the offensive line for the 1959 team averaged 220 lbs. Wonder if somebody like SWC can verify or tell me I'm full of sht.

The '59 line was known as the sizable seven and was regarded as one of, if not the heaviest lines of that year and perhaps of all prior years. 22o sounds right. Interesting fact is they were all ends in HS. Ben recruited that way. Wanted tall kids who could add weight and grow into linemen. Another interesting fact is weight lifting hadn't really come into vogue yet.

I met Art Baker down in Fort Meyers for a college baseball trip. I didn't know who he was but he pulled me off the team bus because I was wearing a SU shirt. My coach thought I was getting arrested and didn't even question the imposing yet only 5-9 man. He sat me down at the bar and bought me cranberry juice. He then told me stories about Ernie Davis (said Ernie was the nicest guy on the team), Buffalo Bills and the importance of keeping my body healthy (at the time I was hurt). I thanked him for the discussion and stories and proceeded to go back to my room and look up who he is. He was 70! He looked about 55 and was completely ripped and looked like a body builder. He was a true gentleman and held SU in the highest regard and I remember one hysterical quote he gave me while watching NCAA basketball - 'long haired men don't deserve to be in sport uniforms. I would have scalped those azzholes playing on the grid iron'.

I believe it. Those old timers are a different breed.

I was a freshman at that Oct 15, 1960 SU - PS game and in the placard section, as was the duty of the frosh. I have the program from that game in front of me, and here's its line and weights: Ericson LE 190, Gilburg LT 230, Fiedler LG 210, Bemiller C 210, Tarbox RG 230, John Brown RT 225, Fred Mautino RE 215. Backfield: Sarette QB, Ernie Davis LH, Weber RH, Baker FB. A non-starting HB was John Mackey #18 later to be an end #88. My soph year, I lived on Sadler 2; John Brown was across the hall from me, and Davis and Mackey were also on the floor.

Now, from the SU - West Virginia program of Oct 24, 1959, that I have, from being there, the 1959 Sizable Seven: Skonieczki LE 200, Yates LT 220, Rog Davis LG 228, Bemiller C 202, Tarbox RG 215, Youmans RT 220, Fred Mautino RE 191. This is an average of 210. Ernie Davis weighed 205. W Va's line averaged 207.

The SU - Colgate program of Nov 17, 1956, that I attended, shows James Brown at 212 lbs. Davis and Brown weighed as much as a lot of the linemen. I think Colgate was the game that Brown scored something like 47 points. SU's line averaged 201. Colgate's line averaged 204, heavy on the left but especially light on the right with 3 guys 190 -195.

I was a freshman at that Oct 15, 1960 SU - PS game and in the placard section, as was the duty of the frosh. I have the program from that game in front of me, and here's its line and weights: Ericson LE 190, Gilburg LT 230, Fiedler LG 210, Bemiller C 210, Tarbox RG 230, John Brown RT 225, Fred Mautino RE 215. Backfield: Sarette QB, Ernie Davis LH, Weber RH, Baker FB. A non-starting HB was John Mackey #18 later to be an end #88. My soph year, I lived on Sadler 2; John Brown was across the hall from me, and Davis and Mackey were also on the floor.

Now, from the SU - West Virginia program of Oct 24, 1959, that I have, from being there, the 1959 Sizable Seven: Skonieczki LE 200, Yates LT 220, Rog Davis LG 228, Bemiller C 202, Tarbox RG 215, Youmans RT 220, Fred Mautino RE 191. This is an average of 210. Ernie Davis weighed 205. W Va's line averaged 207.

The SU - Colgate program of Nov 17, 1956, that I attended, shows James Brown at 212 lbs. Davis and Brown weighed as much as a lot of the linemen. I think Colgate was the game that Brown scored something like 47 points. SU's line averaged 201. Colgate's line averaged 204, heavy on the left but especially light on the right with 3 guys 190 -195.

I worked at Liverpool HS in the early 80's. A fellow teacher was a freshmen football player at SU when Jim Brown was a senior. He stated that Jim actually weighed over 230 pounds though the school listed him in the program at a much lower weight.