Grant is shooting higher from 3 than from the | Syracusefan.com

Grant is shooting higher from 3 than from the

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
free throw line. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

free throw line. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I've always wondered, when someone has a smooth jump-shot stroke and throws bricks for FTs, why they don't just shoot a jump shot from the line? Could't be any worse. It worked for Hal Greer.

Here's an off-the-wall idea, literally -- why not try a bank shot, especially for the bigs. C'mon, it's a dead-on shot, and the backboard is much more inviting than trying to find the rim. I'm thinking the angles would be better for the bigs -- short players shoot up to the rim and drop it down, playing to the ball's natural trajectory; bigs must shoot over to the rim and that's harder to do. So shoot up at the backboard and let the glass and rim to work together to keep the ball in the cylinder and give it a chance to settle in. Does this argument hold wata?-VBOF

His free throw shooting shouldnt come as a surprise. He was a wizard in high school at getting to the line due to his ability to get to the rim and draw contact. He shot about 50% as a senior. He is much worse now at least from a percentage standpoint because he doesnt take nearly as many attempts as he did in h.s.

Greer had the best 16-17' shot in the history of basketball.

As far as bank shot - I think that approach would be in line with trying the underhand approach. Never understood why bad foul shooters don't try that more often. At least you get it soft up to the rim and increase the chances for a friendly bounce. Rick Barry anyone?

I've always wondered, when someone has a smooth jump-shot stroke and throws bricks for FTs, why they don't just shoot a jump shot from the line? Could't be any worse. It worked for Hal Greer.

Here's an off-the-wall idea, literally -- why not try a bank shot, especially for the bigs. C'mon, it's a dead-on shot, and the backboard is much more inviting than trying to find the rim. I'm thinking the angles would be better for the bigs -- short players shoot up to the rim and drop it down, playing to the ball's natural trajectory; bigs must shoot over to the rim and that's harder to do. So shoot up at the backboard and let the glass and rim to work together to keep the ball in the cylinder and give it a chance to settle in. Does this argument hold wata?-VBOF

Ok, so, I've thought about this and I'm about to ramble...

The shooter's objective when at the line is to convert the highest number of shots in to points possible. Ideally you want 100%. That's not realistic, but maybe it's not possible.

So where I think guys get messed up is in assuming that the things they do when trying to score in regular game conditions. They aren't subject to regular game conditions though. That's their privilege for being fouled. So the approach should be different. No matter hoe weird the approach may be, or how aesthetically off it looks, if a shooter finds a way to convert free throws at a higher percentage than they can by going through their regular shooting motion they should do it.

What I think you should see is all kinds of variety at the line, but players don't want to look weird and coaches don't want to see unusual mechanics.

Think of the kid that won the football toss halftime challenge from Dr. Pepper. He didn't throw tight spirals through the target. He threw two handed chest passes and won.