Great Article on BE Tournament | Syracusefan.com

Great Article on BE Tournament

The 1986 BE title game ranks #2 in the most painful losses ever behind Indiana. I was 15 and was literally a puddle for a month following that game.

That's funny. As I was re-reading the article. I was getting all the same emotions and nervous energy and that horrible nervous feeling you get during every close game that makes sports so much fun. But I have found that at least now, as I relive the memories, even some of the heartaches are fun.

“Syracuse’s departure is basically the end of the Big East as we know it,” Tranghese said. “It’s going to be rebuilt. It’s going to be different. It can have success. But it will never be what it was. It just won’t be.”

That has to kill UConn fans.

great article. almost brought a tear to my eye. What could have been if Washington stayed one year...or Washington had convinced Barry to come to SU. That said, the 80's were awesome.

The 1986 BE title game ranks #2 in the most painful losses ever behind Indiana. I was 15 and was literally a puddle for a month following that game.

My buddies and I were at a High School dance that night (remember those?). We spent two hours of the dance huddled around the snack bar window watching a little color TV the adults had going inside. We spent the rest of the dance and the after party fuming at Ron Rowan's shot and Berry's amazing block of what was a brilliant Pearl Washington coast-to-coast move. Had he made that lay-up...a play for the ages it would have been. He weaved in and out of that defense without breaking a sweat. It was so sad watching Pearl break into tears on the bench.

Can't read that and claim that this week doesn't matter. Should be required reading for every player.

That'd be sweet if we make a run this week.

Can't read that and claim that this week doesn't matter. Should be required reading for every player.

That'd be sweet if we make a run this week.

I'm in the minority but to me a BET title is better than a Sweet 16.

I'm in the minority but to me a BET title is better than a Sweet 16.

I'm seriously weighing the two.

(What's tripping me up: if we win the tournament, it'll raise expectations to a level that will make any first weekend loss that much more devastating.)

great article. of course OE posted it yesterday. i pointed out then that they mistakenly show gerry mac jumping into terrence roberts arms to celebrate the 6 OT uconn game. probably running a correction today.

I'm seriously weighing the two.

(What's tripping me up: if we win the tournament, it'll raise expectations to a level that will make any first weekend loss that much more devastating.)

I felt that way in 05 - Vermont was painful and thought we really were finally coming together after the relative ease of the BET. 06 came out of nowhere and Texas A&M didn't bother me that much. That team left everything it had left along with Gerry's groin in New York.

I felt that way in 05 - Vermont was painful and thought we really were finally coming together after the relative ease of the BET. 06 came out of nowhere and Texas A&M didn't bother me that much. That team left everything it had left along with Gerry's groin in New York.

2005's what I was thinking of, too.

1992 and 2006 were different. Though they all hurt, those two were a little less bad (except for the way we lost the UMass game); maybe this year would be closer to that.

days gone by you could buy a ticket to the BET and pretty much expect to watch the CUSE in the final.
guess the brightside these days is that there are worst places to be stranded a couple of days than NYC.

our players should read that article, maybe it will inspire them to hit a couple of jumpers.